ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    trying to get ready for work etc with a sleeping baby in the room is difficult (alarms going off etc). Also I had movement monitors (not fool proof I know..). Fortunately 6 months was within the guideline.
    I understand why somebody moves the baby out of their room. My point is that, even though it is within 'guidelines,' you are comfortable making the bare minimum choice in regards to safety. The SIDS risk lessens as a baby gets older so it is obviously safest to keep them in your room longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has the time come to rename this thread "all the ways your a terrible parent"? Seriously the vast majority of us are doing our best. I'd hate to think how this thread would make a parent, who has experienced the loss of a child in an accident, feel.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-01-2017),Full House  (05-01-2017),harvs  (05-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (05-01-2017),ICanDream  (05-01-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (05-01-2017),Renn  (05-01-2017),twinklify  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    1. What is the risk of leaving my children in the car at a petrol station?

You know that children are much more likely to die or be seriously injured on the way to the petrol station. I don't remember reading about a child who died in a car at a petrol station but many children have died just from being a pedestrian or being a passenger in the road.

2. What guideline didn't you follow when you stuffed up? What was the stuff up?

3. Do you follow all guidelines in regards to your children? Do they eat the recommended intake each day? Do you follow the guidelines for screen time?
    Would you mind answering these questions please vic

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *Trigger Warning* Leaving kids in car for latte/distressing news topics menti...

Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Has the time come to rename this thread "all the ways your a terrible parent"? Seriously the vast majority of us are doing our best. I'd hate to think how this thread would make a parent, who has experienced the loss of a child in an accident, feel.
    One would hope that a parent sensitive to such topics would see the trigger warning and not participate?
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-01-2017 at 08:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *Trigger Warning* Leaving kids in car for latte/distressing news topics menti...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    1. What is the risk of leaving my children in the car at a petrol station?

You know that children are much more likely to die or be seriously injured on the way to the petrol station. I don't remember reading about a child who died in a car at a petrol station but many children have died just from being a pedestrian or being a passenger in the road.

2. What guideline didn't you follow when you stuffed up? What was the stuff up?

3. Do you follow all guidelines in regards to your children? Do they eat the recommended intake each day? Do you follow the guidelines for screen time?
    1. Heat stroke (although I agree most Hubbers would take reasonable precautions for this). Child becoming distressed. Child climbing out of seatbelt and knocking handbrake or getting into something they shouldn't. Car jacking or stranger doing other inappropriate things. Parents getting caught up longer than anticipated in shop.

2. Some I can't go into however I will admit that I recently thought I got caught speeding. Lost concentration while trying to avoid another danger (methinks traffic + car sitting up ****). Left new with a sickly feeling for quite some time - try to handle similar situations differently now. The fact I never ended up getting a ticket doesn't give much comfort.

3. I doubt it. I don't know what the specific guidelines are for eating (well only in a general sense from what I was taught in the olden days. Try to follow what I remember). I am not sure what the screen time guidelines are however from memory it may have involved no screens for under 2's? In which case yes I failed that one.

I tend to be more rigid with guidelines for things that have catastrophic consequences. For example when hubby didn't strap ds2 in the car properly once (straps falling down) I mentioned it to hubby, he fobbed me off ("oh well") - let's just say I let him know I wasn't happy & strapping a kids in safely was non-negotiable for me.

Good questions. Hope that helps explain where I am coming from a bit.
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-01-2017 at 08:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Ah - thanks. the reference to "soft toys" initially had me stumped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm so so far in this thread, to be a fit parent and acceptable member of society, we must - rear face our children for 4 years, unstrap all children and walk them into the petrol station to pay for fuel, never leave them unattended around furniture, or water, in fact never leave them out of our sight, EVER, never drive unless we have had at least 5 hours of unbroken sleep, provide swimming lessons from 6 months of age (ignoring the fact that many Australians dont have access to lessons), sleep them in our bedroom with no comforter in their own sleep space for 6-12 months... what am I missing? Anyone willing to put their hand up and say they meet the requirements of this thread in every single area? FFS, no wonder we are raising anxious, bubble wrapped children.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-01-2017),BettyV  (05-01-2017),Californication  (05-01-2017),delirium  (05-01-2017),Full House  (05-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (05-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-01-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (05-01-2017),VicPark  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    One would hope that a parent sensitive to such topics would see the trigger warning and not participate?
    Do you think a trigger warning really negates your responsibility for any affect your words could have? What if someone reads this thread before something horrible happens to one of their children? Do you think the memory of you effectively blaming them is going to help them or make things worse?

You once had a go at me in a thread because I acknowledged that my child was a dodgy sleeper and I was going to accept I couldn't change it. You said that my words could negatively impact on some other sleep deprived mother and stop her reaching out for help. If you can see the apparent harm my words could do then how can you not see that making sweeping statements about parents not following guidelines and things not being accidents could be harmful too?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-01-2017),harvs  (05-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (05-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-01-2017),VicPark  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Hmmm so so far in this thread, to be a fit parent and acceptable member of society, we must - rear face our children for 4 years, unstrap all children and walk them into the petrol station to pay for fuel, never leave them unattended around furniture, or water, in fact never leave them out of our sight, EVER, never drive unless we have had at least 5 hours of unbroken sleep, provide swimming lessons from 6 months of age (ignoring the fact that many Australians dont have access to lessons), sleep them in our bedroom with no comforter in their own sleep space for 6-12 months... what am I missing? Anyone willing to put their hand up and say they meet the requirements of this thread in every single area? FFS, no wonder we are raising anxious, bubble wrapped children.
    This fits in with 'never letting out of sight' but we need to hold hands with our children when walking at all times until they are 10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do risk assessments a lot as part of my job, have done so for over 10 years. Some posts in this thread are ridiculous. Guidelines are guidelines and they provide guidance on best practice but they do not take into consideration every single piece of information that is relevant to every different scenario and person in the world. It is always imperative to weigh the pros and cons of each situation and judge it on it's individual merit. Sometimes the best option is to pick the least crap option we have available to us. The world is not perfect and we don't have access to unlimited resources (people, money, time, sleep).

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (05-01-2017),Full House  (05-01-2017),Happymum2  (05-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (05-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (05-01-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (05-01-2017),VicPark  (05-01-2017),yadot  (05-01-2017)