Closed Thread
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You didn't answer my earlier question.

Do you follow every single guideline?
    SIDS guideline of baby rooming in with parents for 6-12 months is one I've wondered about for all those who are claiming to follow guidelines strictly. I didn't follow the guideline, personally and know plenty of people who didn't/don't. Imagine losing a baby to SIDS and being charged with negligence because your baby was in a cot in a room different to your bedroom at 5 1/2 months old? It just wouldn't be right...but the SIDS guidelines are well known. I know that when I had my babies we were told by the midwife, and given a pamphlet to take home that outlined it very clearly.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (05-01-2017),Renn  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I do.

ETA: care to actually answer any questions above or is your contribution to the discussion only about how everyone else can do better or only commenting on any cheeky comment myself or big red makes?
    Sorry - this thread moves fast at times. Which question? Rear-facing? No my ds2 is nearly 3 and isn't rear-facing anymore. Was rear-facing for quite a while above the minimum 6 months however when he didn't fit his seat anymore we changed (in accordance with the Kidsafe guideline).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    SIDS guideline of baby rooming in with parents for 6-12 months is one I've wondered about for all those who are claiming to follow guidelines strictly. I didn't follow the guideline, personally and know plenty of people who didn't/don't.
    6 months and 1 day and both my boys were out of my room at night. Always slept in their own room for day naps though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    You know, I'm still amazed by where his thread has gone.

I think the world would be a much better (and funnily enough, safer) place if more people were inclined to look at an action or belief that they can't understand, that they think would never pass their own mind, and instead of jumping to blaming and shaming they were to think "huh. I wonder why they think that way".

Curiosity and compassion go a long way. They enable you to really try to understand people, rather than win points. And as for any social problems that you think need change? The most effective solutions come from a genuine understanding of why the problem exists, and respect for those involved.
    I agree with a lot if this post. That being said I think for some things though over the years the reasons (childhood drownings) have become well researched and well known. Yet people continuing to flout guidelines and kids continue to die. Not saying there isn't any room for respect and compassion for the parents, however when preventable bad things continue to happen to kids like this, compassion alone obviously isn't working & we need to look to something else (IMO deterrants though wife spread penalties for non-compliance, however happy for others to disagree and have other ideas).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry - this thread moves fast at times. Which question? Rear-facing? No my ds2 is nearly 3 and isn't rear-facing anymore. Was rear-facing for quite a while above the minimum 6 months however when he didn't fit his seat anymore we changed (in accordance with the Kidsafe guideline).
    But that's not the safest option on the kidsafe guidelines. Your ds2 is the same age as my ds1, Feb 2014. Kidsafe states rear-facing is safest and that rear facing seats are now available up to 3 years of age. So did you just chose the guideline most convenient for yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Adding to the sleep thing...SIDS do not recommend comforters of any kind, but a certain 'sleep expert' used to (maybe still does, I don't know), a comforter as SIDS endorsed...and there's a story of a baby who nearly died with one. Only survived because the mum knew CPR. Such a lucky escape. But for those larents following this sleep expert, they were/are being sucked in to believing that a comforter was okay due to false advertising...when it's not recommended under the age of 7 months. No wonder it's hard to get everything 'right.'
    Last edited by Full House; 05-01-2017 at 07:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    1. What is the risk of leaving my children in the car at a petrol station?

You know that children are much more likely to die or be seriously injured on the way to the petrol station. I don't remember reading about a child who died in a car at a petrol station but many children have died just from being a pedestrian or being a passenger in the road.

2. What guideline didn't you follow when you stuffed up? What was the stuff up?

3. Do you follow all guidelines in regards to your children? Do they eat the recommended intake each day? Do you follow the guidelines for screen time?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-01-2017 at 06:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here's a good little read about leaving your kids in the car to pay for petrol, the conclusion:

'Perhaps if we can appreciate that there is no constant right or wrong in this matter, we can make a carefully considered choice each time for our own children, and we can stop judging others for their decisions if they are truly doing the same.'

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...?client=safari

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-01-2017),Full House  (05-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But that's not the safest option on the kidsafe guidelines. Your ds2 is the same age as my ds1, Feb 2014. Kidsafe states rear-facing is safest and that rear facing seats are now available up to 3 years of age. So did you just chose the guideline most convenient for yourself?
    The guidelines are very wishy washy and don't contain the certainty you are trying to claim. They do not say you have to rear-face until 3. They don't say you have to upgrade to purchase an extended rear facing seat. You are grabbing an American guideline and trying to apply it here. Should I apply every American guideline that isn't replicated in Australia? Maybe I should go out and buy a gun to ensure my own personal safety? Or prohibit my kids from drinking alcohol until they are 21 to ensure theirs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Adding to the sleep thing...SIDS do not recommend comforters of any kind, but a certain 'sleep expert' used to (maybe still does, I don't know), a comforter as SIDS endorsed...and there's a story of a baby who nearly died with one. Only survived because the mum knew CPR. Such a lucky escape. But for those larents following this sleep expert, they were/are being sucked in to believing that a comforter was okay due to false advertising...when it's not recommended under the age of 1 year old. No wonder it's hard to get everything 'right.'
    Good point (serious, not sarcastic!). I had a quick google and could find SIDS recommendations regarding no soft toys, but not comforters (sometimes same thing, sometimes not)? Maybe I'm not looking on the right place. Still a good point though.