ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 421
  1. #321
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,065
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,965
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Isn't lightweight furniture part of the problem, because it can tip too easily?
    True. Super sturdy or super paper/light weight .

  2. #322
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,117
    Thanks
    2,008
    Thanked
    1,554
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I thought discussions on this thread had ruled supervision out as a necessary part of risk reduction?
    Not me. It's the main component.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (04-01-2017)

  4. #323
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,065
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,965
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

  5. #324
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,860
    Thanks
    1,073
    Thanked
    3,928
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I wonder if they would get in trouble for not allowing you to anchor for safety though?
    I think it's one of those things that would depend on where you live,who your landlord is etc etc. It is not legislation so I don't know. But it would be up to the tenant to fix up the holes when moving out anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Isn't lightweight furniture part of the problem, because it can tip too easily?
    Yep. Pull out 2 dull drawers and it is waaaaaay too unbalanced.

    We have a heavy set of drawers that do not move/tip even if all the drawers were open lol. It would tip if the kids decided they were steps though.

  6. #325
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18,775
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked
    8,425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Or we could supervise our children as a first priority...
    This really isn't always possible.

    Today we went to Homebush aquatic centre. Two adults and three children. We got a family pass. The other family pass on offer was 1 adult and 4 children. Even with my husband and I (youngest is 4) we still found it difficult to watch all 3 children. My 8 and 6 year old are competent at this place and when we "lost" them I knew they were fine. They were going to go on the big green waterslide but heard the bell ringing for the big bucket to tip over so went and played there instead without telling us. My husband and I were waiting in the rapids pool with our youngest for them to come down the slide and then after a while we wondered why they weren't coming down so I went to look for them.

    When I am out alone with my kids (at park/playground/cycling/beach/etc) it is physically impossible for me to watch all 3 of my children. Even at home it's impossible.

  7. #326
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,065
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,965
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

  8. #327
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,117
    Thanks
    2,008
    Thanked
    1,554
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This really isn't always possible.

    Today we went to Homebush aquatic centre. Two adults and three children. We got a family pass. The other family pass on offer was 1 adult and 4 children. Even with my husband and I (youngest is 4) we still found it difficult to watch all 3 children. My 8 and 6 year old are competent at this place and when we "lost" them I knew they were fine. They were going to go on the big green waterslide but heard the bell ringing for the big bucket to tip over so went and played there instead without telling us. My husband and I were waiting in the rapids pool with our youngest for them to come down the slide and then after a while we wondered why they weren't coming down so I went to look for them.

    When I am out alone with my kids (at park/playground/cycling/beach/etc) it is physically impossible for me to watch all 3 of my children. Even at home it's impossible.
    I know I was being cheeky. As in if constant supervision is required for pools, it's required for furniture too.
    It's just not always possible.
    We minimise the risk as much as possible- high furniture in one locked room, all other furniture too heavy to tip, etc.
    Also have three here- luckily the older two are almost 11 and 9 but far out they are silly.
    I took them to a pool recently and went into the toddler pool with baby, telling them to come also and we would all go in big pool after 30 mins. They stayed for 5 and then ran off to the big pool.
    It took about 3 minutes for me to get over to them (enough to make me nervous) and tell them we were leaving. Zero tolerance even if they are confident.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (04-01-2017)

  10. #328
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,065
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,965
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

  11. #329
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,065
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,965
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I know I was being cheeky. As in if constant supervision is required for pools, it's required for furniture too.
    .
    Guidelines are to anchor your furniture if it is not stable. Guidelines are to supervise kids around water at all times - not always easy however there are workarounds if the parents choose to follow the guidelines.

  12. #330
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,117
    Thanks
    2,008
    Thanked
    1,554
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Guidelines are to anchor your furniture if it is not stable. Guidelines are to supervise kids around water at all times - not always easy however there are workarounds if the parents choose to follow the guidelines.
    I'm aware. "If it's not stable". Who decides what's stable? As I said, we have minimised the risk as much as we can. Our landlord will not let us anchor furniture- hence heavy furniture.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (04-01-2017)


 

Similar Threads

  1. A maybe trigger warning. Just debriefing.
    By Ahalfdozen in forum Dealing with anger
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 10:02
  2. WARNING TRIGGER - Very Sensitive Post
    By Oela in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 17:33
  3. What is happening!! *trigger warning*
    By alliecat89 in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-01-2016, 12:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Impressionable KidsImpressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT