Closed Thread
Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default *Trigger Warning* Leaving kids in car for latte/distressing news topics menti...

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't know about official guidelines - does anyone else know?
    Most furniture (ikea etc) contain anchoring warnings and I would consider in most areas the dangers to be well publicised (however happy to stand corrected on that).

Can I ask why you don't you give the same level of scrutiny to other hubbers who have not followed existing long standing guidelines regarding swimming pools and children? Do you not wish to scrutinize those you consider friends in order to avoid conflict/upsetting them?
    I do not think anchoring furniture is well publicized at all. IKEA has it in their instructions but they are the only company I have come across that consistently does. Then there's furniture that was handed down, bought second hand, etc that obviously do not come with warnings.

Who has specifically said they do not follow pool guidelines? Most have discussed the effort they make to ensure their kids are safe around water while also stating that they understand how accidents happen. What should I be challenging them about when I hold the same view? I agreed with you earlier that I would take extra precaution with my children and that I didn't think locking a door was too much effort. The difference in stance is that I believe sometimes **** just happens, that nobody is infallible no matter how careful we try to be. Nobody is immune to tragedy happening.

I am challenging you because you have been very black and white and a bit sanctimommy about it all so I am trying to get you to see the other side and give you examples where 1) you either choose to not take the extra precaution or 2) you believe everyone should know because you know and negligent if not.

You and I have been challenging each other on bubhub for a few years now, is there a problem now?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I do not think anchoring furniture is well publicized at all. IKEA has it in their instructions but they are the only company I have come across that consistently does. Then there's furniture that was handed down, bought second hand, etc that obviously do not come with warnings.

Who has specifically said they do not follow pool guidelines? Most have discussed the effort they make to ensure their kids are safe around water while also stating that they understand how accidents happen. What should I be challenging them about when I hold the same view? I agreed with you earlier that I would take extra precaution with my children and that I didn't think locking a door was too much effort. The difference in stance is that I believe sometimes **** just happens, that nobody is infallible no matter how careful we try to be. Nobody is immune to tragedy happening.

I am challenging you because you have been very black and white and a bit sanctimommy about it all so I am trying to get you to see the other side and give you examples where 1) you either choose to not take the extra precaution or 2) you believe everyone should know because you know and negligent if not.

You and I have been challenging each other on bubhub for a few years now, is there a problem now?
    I asked DH about anchoring and his reply was 'generally they say it in the instructions but do not generally supply anything'. I will add that I never thought of anchoring until baby proofing the house. And even then DH mentioned it due to the TV.

Also, I would assume a lot of people would be hesitant to anchor to the wall as they rent and it would mean holes in the walls etc.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I started anchoring furniture as per instructions, my landlord would have a fit!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-01-2017),Frankenmum  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *Trigger Warning* Leaving kids in car for latte/distressing news topics menti...

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Also, I would assume a lot of people would be hesitant to anchor to the wall as they rent and it would mean holes in the walls etc.
    If parents know they should anchor but can't due to living in a rental then they could chose furniture that is lightweight/not tall. Or put clothes and items in tubs. Having a rental shouldn't be an excuse for not anchoring dangerous furniture.
    Eg When my youngest started walking around and playing in his room I removed a dresser with mirror that I felt was unsafe - I could anchor as I am not in a rental however I couldn't be arsed/aren't very handy with tools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    If I started anchoring furniture as per instructions, my landlord would have a fit!
    I wonder if they would get in trouble for not allowing you to anchor for safety though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If parents know they should anchor but can't due to living in a rental then they could chose furniture that is lightweight/not tall. Or put clothes and items in tubs. Having a rental shouldn't be an excuse for not anchoring dangerous furniture.
    Eg When my youngest started walking around and playing in his room I removed a dresser with mirror that I felt was unsafe - I could anchor as I am not in a rental however I couldn't be arsed/aren't very handy with tools.
    Isn't lightweight furniture part of the problem, because it can tip too easily?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-01-2017),DT75  (04-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Or we could supervise our children as a first priority...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Isn't lightweight furniture part of the problem, because it can tip too easily?
    Yupp.
    We have very heavy furniture. If I climbed it, it wouldn't tip.
    We don't have anything higher than a metre, except the bookshelves in the locked study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Risk chart from Kidsafe:

I would consider kids being supervised at a swimming pool to be organge - immediate control required.
    Unanchored heavy furniture - yellow, make a plan to control the risk.
    (Just my opinion - others are free to disagree!).

http://www.kidsafensw.org/imagesDB/w...oach2014_1.pdf
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1483524309.808458.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Or we could supervise our children as a first priority...
    I thought discussions on this thread had ruled supervision out as a necessary part of risk reduction?