Closed Thread
Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    To help me think outside the box, **other than Attachment 87638better parental supervision***, what is everyone's top tip for helping to reduce the horrible recent increase in drowning deaths?
    Early childhood swimming lessons, the first thing my daughter was taught if she fell in was to turn around and hold the side of the pool.

What you mentioned about the door and key system.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To help me think outside the box, **other than Attachment 87638better parental supervision***, what is everyone's top tip for helping to reduce the horrible recent increase in drowning deaths?
    It's hard to answer that without knowing the root cause of the recent drowning incidents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What I think needs to happen:

Large rebates for repairing/upgrading of fencing - we live in a very hot area where there are lots of pools and fences often have a fibreglass component to them. They weather after a few years and become unsafe.

The raising of height limits to stop older kids and those that stand on chairs - obviously heavily rebated as well.

A change to the pull latch set up with possibly a type of special padlock of sorts?

That one adult in the household with a pool has CPR training. Not sure how that would be policed, but when you go to rent or buy a house with a pool you have to have/be signed up to a course?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-01-2017),VicPark  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Put a hook directly above the door handle but out of kid reach.
    And what if there is a fire and you become injured or unconscious and have locked the door in a way that the child cannot open it to get out?

Did you know a child can drown in the time it takes to answer a phone? That in America, 75% of drownings of preschoolers take place when a child is out of sight for 5 mins or less? Some drownings take place in a neighbor's pool. I posted an article earlier (the deleted) of a 3 and 2 year old getting out of their house while everyone still slept, going to the neighbor's house and drowning in her pool. Her back gate was ajar but her pool fence was locked and they climbed over it. You genuinely can not plan for every scenario, it's impossible. It obviously makes you feel more at peace to be able to believe that every accident is preventable, that somebody is always at fault, that tragedy will never happen to you because you assess every risk. But the extreme you take this argument to is unsettling. Do you genuinely have your eye on your preschooler every minute of the day?

A hubber spoke about how she unpacked a box in another room, her 5 year old who had been watching tv decided he wanted something from the car and went outside and accidentally locked himself in the car. She luckily found him but if that had ended badly would you find reason to blame her or accept that sometimes there's just a perfect storm of things enabling an accident?

On a side note, agreeing with you, we stayed at a place in France where the pool gate had an alarm (useless though if a child climbs over it) and the pool had a motion sensor alarm to go off if it sensed somebody falling in. All pools having something like this is optimal, but I guarantee it still doesn't stop all drownings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I would say subsidizing the cost of swimming lessons for children and CPR classes, especially for parents and carers or even giving away free DVDs that can adequately teach someone how to perform CPR for those who lack access to babysitters. It's not foolproof obviously but there's a far better chance of survival if someone can immediately perform CPR correctly.

Also some type of mandatory alarm system for pools/ bodies of water where if something/someone enters the water without the alarm being deactivated an alarm goes off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    A hubber spoke about how she unpacked a box in another room, her 5 year old who had been watching tv decided he wanted something from the car and went outside and accidentally locked himself in the car. She luckily found him but if that had ended badly would you find reason to blame her or accept that sometimes there's just a perfect storm of things enabling an accident?
    Would you genuinely like my views on this? Happy to provide input however I don't want to if it will lead to the thread being closed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    . It obviously makes you feel more at peace to be able to believe that every accident is preventable, that somebody is always at fault, that tragedy will never happen to you because you assess every risk. But the extreme you take this argument to is unsettling. Do you genuinely have your eye on your preschooler every minute of the day?
    1. I don't feel that every accident is preventable. I think there is a sliding scale of culpability depending on circumstance, specifically the degree to which the accident was preventable and injury was reasonably forseeable.
    2. I am sorry you are unsettled by this discussion. I don't feel locking the door to a house and putting the key near the door but put of child reach is extreme.
    3. No. That's impossible. Happy to provide clarification on the risk minimization strategy if you are genuinely interested. However it appears that hubbers different threshold for risk is the key sticking point in this thread so it might not get us anywhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    It's hard to answer that without knowing the root cause of the recent drowning incidents.
    This was from the most recent 2015/2016 royal life saving report into drownings:
    (Of course there is nothing to say the recent increase is due to the same factors however after a quick review of previous reports I didn't detect many changes in causality).
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1483427855.756957.jpg

Reporting of one case in the news yesterday mentioned the pool gate had been propped open (not saying that's the same for all cases).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Would you genuinely like my views on this? Happy to provide input however I don't want to if it will lead to the thread being closed.
    Go for it. But pro tip, stop bringing up the issue if you genuinely want to move on from it. Constant little jabs will just lead to me responding again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Go for it. But pro tip, stop bringing up the issue if you genuinely want to move on from it. Constant little jabs will just lead to me responding again.
    It appears you still have an itch to scratch so I an going to leave this one alone. Cheers.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (03-01-2017)