ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Was chatting to the kids about this today and DSS told me that less than a year ago, he stayed in the car (age 8) while his mum went into JB HiFi.
    You cannot see out of this particular shop (small windows covered in posters) and even if you could, where she parked the car was not in sight.
    She was in there less than 5 mins when DSS came in shaking and crying with a strange man carrying him- he had hit the back of her car while trying to park. DSS had a broken leg.

Just never worth it.
    Omg poor kiddo !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-01-2017),DT75  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Leaving kids in car for Latte

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Would you drive now if not driving meant your eldest missing out on preschool etc?
    Yes, I still think I'm fine to drive, right now at this point in time. If I felt worse than I do right now, maybe not. But I actually find this question really hard to answer as my life right now is so non-dependent on getting in the car. I have a tube station a 10 minute walk away that links to a comprehensive public transport system. Plenty of buses. Ds' preschool is literally right on our corner, other nursery school and school option within a 10-15 min walk away. Plenty of cafes and little grocery shops a 5 min walk away, parks, playgrounds, etc. So it's very hard for me to answer would I drive if I was however tired as most days it is actually easier for me not to drive as parking is a PIA in this city. I would like to think if I felt too tired and I was a danger to drive that I wouldn't but I can't honestly answer that other than hypothetically.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    F me. What a horrible day for that poor woman. I just feel so sorry for her.

Ps - I am regularly awake for 17 hours, and often sleep for about 5hrs. I guess that some people just need more sleep than others.
    From what I've read, she was getting ready to leave her brother's funeral, put the baby that was in the pram under the tree next to her car (in the shade) while she turned the air conditioner on in the car to cool it down before she put him in. For some reason the car went into gear, reversed and jump the curb and hit the pram. I think it was genuinely a freak accident, not that the car did it on its own, but an accident in the sense that there's no reason to charge her. It's heartbreaking. I'm watching 7 month old ds2 chat and squish avocado in his little hands as we speak and I can only imagine her pain.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Rip bubba xx
    (another toddler has died due to drowning in a backyard pool)

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201.../?ocid=todayfb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    From what I've read, she was getting ready to leave her brother's funeral, put the baby that was in the pram under the tree next to her car (in the shade) while she turned the air conditioner on in the car to cool it down before she put him in. For some reason the car went into gear, reversed and jump the curb and hit the pram. I think it was genuinely a freak accident, not that the car did it on its own, but an accident in the sense that there's no reason to charge her.
    Not meaning to be argumentative however something Sally said about moral judgements coming into play when assessing culpability.

If the car didn't jump the curb on it's own, if we don't know why the car jumped the curb, then how do you know there is no reason to charge the mother? Benefit of the doubt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Not meaning to be argumentative however something Sally said about moral judgements coming into play when assessing culpability.

If the car didn't jump the curb on it's own, if we don't know why the car jumped the curb, then how do you know there is no reason to charge the mother? Benefit of the doubt?
    In all honesty, I don't want to get into a debate about the hypotheticals regarding this story, it's too new and too upsetting and with how small Australia is, she could very well be a regular hubber and I do not want play any part in making her grief worse.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-01-2017 at 07:47.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-01-2017),Californication  (02-01-2017),Curby  (02-01-2017),DT75  (02-01-2017),Full House  (02-01-2017),LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (02-01-2017),Purple Poppy  (02-01-2017),Renn  (02-01-2017),VicPark  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Omg poor kiddo !
    Yupp.
    He says he was afraid everytime he got in the car with her after that.
    We remember being told his leg was broken but the mother had sworn them to secrecy regarding what happened. It's only now that we have found out- we have custody now. That'll be a conversation with our lawyer next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it hard to believe the vehicle malfunctioned on it's own to the point it did and the baby was run over. I find it hard to believe there wasn't any parental responsibility involved. As to whether the mother should be charged or not, I honestly can't say without knowing more facts. Just have to hope that the authorities involved who do know the facts made the right decision for everyone (baby, mum, dad) and that a free pass wasn't given due to the sympathy factor.

I wasn't going to bite, but your lack of compassion horrifies me. What would charging her achieve? I seriously doubt she did it deliberately. And if it is proved an accident and she isn't charged, she's hardly been given a free pass. She will have to live with this for the rest of her life. Get off your pedestal and show some compassion.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (02-01-2017),Curby  (02-01-2017),GirlsRock  (02-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (02-01-2017),just her chameleon  (02-01-2017),LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2017),yadot  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I wasn't going to bite, but your lack of compassion horrifies me. What would charging her achieve? I seriously doubt she did it deliberately. And if it is proved an accident and she isn't charged, she's hardly been given a free pass. She will have to live with this for the rest of her life. Get off your pedestal and show some compassion.
    I agree it's probably too fresh to discuss that particular case. Apologies.

However I stand by the general sentiment that
    *if* negligence is involved in a child death (failing to take reasonable due care) then I think there is absolutely room for charges to be laid. Lacking intent to injure a child does not mean a free pass, neither does the fact the person already has experienced personal grief over the situation. I believe in this not for punitive measures but rather as a deterrent to other parents who may be putting their kids at risk in a similar fashion. That's not a new legal concept - it is in practice at the moment (child neglect cases for example). It's not meant to be a stab at the parents - rather an attempt to help future child victims. The amount of preventable child deaths over the last few weeks is horrific.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How does anyone know if the deaths over the last few weeks were due to negligence, though?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (02-01-2017)