Closed Thread
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *Trigger Warning* Leaving kids in car for latte/distressing news topics mentioned

http://honey.nine.com.au/2016/12/14/.../?ocid=todayfb

What would you have done if you had witnessed what the author witnessed? (A mother leaving 3 kids in the car to get a takeaway coffee)
    Do you agree with what the author did?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's entirely justified, if you leave the aircon on, it means in most cars you leave the key in (unless you have one of those cars with a proximity key) any goon could just jump in the car taking it and the kids within.

Two thoughts jump to mind to simply remove the problem:
    1. Go through the maccas drive through if you need your coffee that much.
    2. Call ahead if you know the staff at the cafe and ask them to bring it out, if you are a regular I doubt they would say no if they know the true reason.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    15 mins is far far too long. And if she needed to leave the air con on and the engine running then I guess it was pretty hot.

I wouldn't do what this lady did but honestly, I have 3 and if i think it's safe I do leave them in the car when I can.

If I get a park in front of ATM. Yep. To pay for petrol. Yep. And a couple of times to pick up take away coffee but I know the staff and I've called and it's been ready for me to collect. I wouldn't ever do it if I couldn't see them. I never do it when there's a long queue for petrol or if the pump is on the opposite side from the cashier.

I also live in regional Victoria and have never done it when it has been warm enough to need air con on. Which isn't a problem here at all! And one of the times I picked up coffee it was actually snowing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-12-2016),Wise Enough  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If I saw the kids that distressed I wouldn't have waited that long to ***** about it , that's not helping anyone - I would have walked in to the shop and said to the mum " your kids look really distressed just thought you might want to go check on them"

I do however get coffee nearly every morning with DS in the car on the school run - but - I text ahead and it's always ready so literally takes me 60 seconds to run in but I can see DS all the time and at that time of the morning I always park out the front , it's never been hot enough at that time to leave the car on ( mine is keyless so I a actually can leave it on and lock it from the outside )
    If however I had toddlers or babies then that would be different and I certainly wouldn't leave them by themselves in a running car for 15 mins!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-12-2016),VicPark  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it was in fact 15 minutes like she said, kids were distressed, getting out of seatbelts with a running car, then yes I would have said something. Even with cars that can stay running without the keys in them, you can still drive the car a small distance (I may have tried it in my old car lol). You couldn't trust a toddler who is out of a seatbelt to not bump the gears. I don't have a problem with a mature older child sitting in the car with younger ones though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Leaving kids in car for Latte

I leave my daughter in the car to pay for petrol or sometimes grab milk from local corner shop or post a letter. Always within eyeshot is fine as far as I'm concerned as it's just not practical to take them out all the time, but obviously not on a hot day and not with keys in ignition (that's just asking for trouble). Certainly not for a length of time anywhere near 15 minutes! Would definitely have gone in to get her to come back.
    Last edited by me+he&she=three; 29-12-2016 at 18:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason98 View Post
    I think it's entirely justified.
    Even after reading the bit where the kids were distressed and one had undone the seatbelt and was climbing in the front of the car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cannot stand this woman's attitude!! How dare she judge another mother based solely on what she considers to be an acceptable decision. I'm so sick of the way women judge other women and how it seems perfectly acceptable in society to judge mothers for things that do not in any way indicate that they're neglectful.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4B2L For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (29-12-2016),SAgirl  (31-12-2016),Sally1981  (01-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was not there but I do not necessarily agree with the author's actions.

She watched 'distressed' children. She waited so she could time the mother and then shame her? And write a post about it?

What if someone took the car while she was 'watching and timing' the mother?

Another option is speaking to the mother in the store and advising her kids look upset and offering to take the coffee out to her car.

I have not done this - I can't see me doing this specifically as I do not drive much but I lose track of time - maybe that is what happened?

I am not saying leaving kids alone in the car is ok but the author certainly is not an angel in this.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Even after reading the bit where the kids were distressed and one had undone the seatbelt and was climbing in the front of the car?
    I think you misunderstood. I read it as he agrees with the author and that her actions are justified.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-12-2016),Californication  (31-12-2016),cheeeeesecake  (29-12-2016),harvs  (29-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (30-12-2016),Renn  (30-12-2016),SAgirl  (31-12-2016),VicPark  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Leaving kids in car for Latte

Quote Originally Posted by 4B2L View Post
    Cannot stand this woman's attitude!! How dare she judge another mother based solely on what she considers to be an acceptable decision. I'm so sick of the way women judge other women and how it seems perfectly acceptable in society to judge mothers for things that do not in any way indicate that they're neglectful.
    I don't think the article was about judging for judging a sake.
    The author was judging based on upset kids in a car and one kid who had undone their seatbelt and was climbing in the front of the car. Do you think this was a good situation for the kids to be in?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast