ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I wouldn't go. Definitely not on a plane at 3 weeks old unvaccinated. How many people get sick with a cold or flu just from being on a flight let alone a little baby.
    If you have a history of PND and you are worried you are going to suffer from it can't your DH just stay home too?
    You could keep the plans for your older 2 to stay with family and just have you Bub and DH at home. And maybe just watch the game at home order some takeaway or something and make a night of it like that

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

rainbowsandunicorns1  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I would go! I know there are risks with unvaccinated babies but having bub in a carrier would prevent a lot of that right? I flew home with DD3 only 10 days after a c/s then flew again at 3 weeks for a wedding and home again a few days later. I had her in a sling the whole time or her capsule with a blanket covering her.
    My hubby is a Competitor which is why we are going. Him staying home is out of the question. Unvaccinated on an airplane is my biggest worry about going. Anything else I can handle I'm sure lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you travel with a newborn?

I would stay at home if family or a friend could stay with you.

Edit: sorry just read your other subsequent posts, I'd go. As another poster mentioned, get the WC shot in your third trimester.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

rainbowsandunicorns1  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowsandunicorns1 View Post
    My hubby is a Competitor which is why we are going. Him staying home is out of the question. Unvaccinated on an airplane is my biggest worry about going. Anything else I can handle I'm sure lol
    Are you sure he can't stay home? I find it hard to believe that a new dad with a 3 week old would lose his job/representational rights for missing 1 game?. Has your DH even raised the issue with his manager or is he just assuming he has to go?

To answer your original question - there is no way in heck I would travel on an airplane with an unvaccinated 3 week old. Far too dangerous in terms of bub catching something. If you travel on a plane with a 3 week old bub & bub catches a vaccine preventable illness then I think you would have to give up all rights to whinge about/blame the other unvaccinated person. At that point the blame would fall squarely with yourself/your DH.

If family can help with the eldest 2 children, then can't they come and stay with you while your DH is away?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Excited1  (30-12-2016),Hopeful37  (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I completely understand where you're coming from op. I have Pnd and anxiety and often feel panicky if my husband isn't around, or able to get home fairly easily. So I would completely feel the way you feel about him going away. But, I think my anxiety about my newborn potentially getting sick would trump it so I would stay home. Still have your family help out with your other two, and I think you will surprise yourself with how well you end up coping. The build up to the event is always worse and I usually find I'm ok once I'm actually in the situation. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, with a 3 week old baby, I am sleep deprived, struggling with breastfeeding, still bleeding heavily, leaking milk, exhausted. So unvaccinated baby aside, I would hate to travel with a newborn. IF you can just sit in a hotel and feed most of the time, whilst getting room service, I would think about going. If I had to be out of the house at 8am sitting in a crowded sports facility trying to latch my baby for a feed, nope, no way would I manage with that. It seems like the older two kids will be a non issue either way because they will be cared for by family? So for me, a few days home alone with my new baby snuggling in bed would be great But that's me. If you feel more comfortable with your dh nearby, & if he will be able to be supportive & not be totally wrapped up in his sport commitments, then go. What will his commitments be like? Will he be a support to you at all, or will he be playing sport & then obligatory beers with his team sfterwards?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't go. Bub might be overdue and even younger. Or early and tiny and vulnerable. Dealing with all the usual post-birth issues whether it's vaginal or c-section. Plus all the newborn settling in stuff. Just too many variables. And add on top the risk of catching something on the flights. It's not just whooping cough we are getting more and more measles cases in Australia and most of it is brought in by people holidaying overseas - so tough if they're on your flight as a connection or something as it's so highly ridiculously contagious. No baby carrier or snuggling close can protect from aerosol droplet contamination sorry then there's the usual cold viruses which can be devastating for little babies.
    I know others are more adventurous than me but I couldn't think of anything worse than travelling with a newborn I'd focus on getting supports in place at home and getting through the 4 days here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go. The stress of travelling with a tiny baby would far out weight 4 days at home without help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew with a 3&5yo plus a 4wk old interstate, picked up a hire car and then drove 350km. Did it all again 4 days later when we returned.

It was hard but doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go!!! Could hubby drive you all instead of flying (sorry if you've said that's not possible, my brain doesn't work anymore haha) to avoid the germs?