ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you travel with a newborn?

Before finding out I was pregnant we'd prebooked a weekend away to a sporting event in a capital city for 2017. We found out months ago I'm pregnant and it works out our baby's due date is 3 weeks before we go. To begin with I thought due to past history of PND there is no way I could be away from my Family and stay home alone with a newborn for 4 days, this absolutely terrifies me, but now I'm wondering if I'm being selfish and if I'm taking a huge risk taking a newborn on an airplane and then in crowded areas, being unvaccinated is my number 1 worry as they will be to little for vaccinations. I feel sick of the thought of going and not going and I really don't know what to do. I've tried reaching out for advice from friends but don't know if anyone who has travelled with a baby. I'd love to know if you have, why you would or wouldn't and if so what advice you'd suggest? Thank you so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally wouldn't- not without vaccinations and going on an airplane.

Would your DH stay home with you? Is the sporting event extremely important? Could you postpone the trip and just have a holiday later?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Excited1 For This Useful Post:

rainbowsandunicorns1  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Excited1 View Post
    I personally wouldn't- not without vaccinations and going on an airplane.

Would your DH stay home with you? Is the sporting event extremely important? Could you postpone the trip and just have a holiday later?
    Thank you no he is included in the sporting event so it isn't an option at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That close to your due date you may be recovering from a caesarean or traumatic birth. It is likely you may not be well enough to travel.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Excited1  (29-12-2016),VicPark  (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be going away with a newborn.
    Can your partner go alone or with a friend?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    So just to clarify your baby will be roughly 3 weeks old, your husband will have to go away for 4 days/ 3 nights? And you have no family where you live?

Is this your only child or do you have older children?

How long will the flight be?

If you can manage I'd be inclined to stay home. At 3 weeks they still sleep quite a lot so if it's just the two of you you could get some rest while baby naps and when they're awake apart from feeding and changing them there's not much to do, you can lay them down next to you or wear them and carry on as normal. It is hard if you have no one else around though but for 4 days I think it would be manageable.

As someone else said, you might end up having a caesarean in which case you probably won't be able to travel anyway but in that case it will be very hard to be alone. Could you refund your ticket and buy a ticket for your mum or someone to come be with you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tough situation. We had a very close friends wedding only 7 weeks after my due date. Well I was 10 days over due and induced and ended in a c section.
    I had a terrible time/ experience with breastfeeding and my baby was not feeding well at all. I was full time expressing for her.

We already had flights booked so the baby was only four and half weeks old when we were due to go.
    We decided to go. It was a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne, a 4 night stay. As it was out first baby we thought we would do it- hubby helped heaps with holding baby et . Baby was great pretty much slept in a baby ergo the whole time- even through the wedding. Our only issue was my expressing- it was hard to find places to express in the airport etc and on the way home our flight was delayed and my breast were exploding- I ended up with mastitis the day after we got home.

Is this your first child? Will you be looking after a toddler as well? Will you hubby be busy with the sporting event or still able to help you out at night etc?

I would be more included to say go- if you aren't chasing a toddler as well. Baby wear the baby and have a good time.

Or definitely organise some support for when hubby is away- a babysitter or relative who can come give you a couple of hours break or some company to chat with.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my 3rd so I definitely know what I'm in for. We planned for the older 2, to be staying with family while we are away. I'm not at all worried about help for the baby if I stay at home, I like to do things my own way, it's just the depression side of things. I honestly can't imagine how I can function without hubby by my side and this is for my own emotional needs not for anything else. It's hard to explain or to understand unless you've experienced depression/anxiety I think. If we go I plan on wearing bub the whole time we are out and about.
    The flight is 2 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I totally understand the anxiety thing, I experience anxiety too. I think if you're staying with family and will have help with the older 2, plus also having DH there when he's not busy, I'd go.

You can have a whooping cough booster for yourself towards the end of your pregnancy and that will give bub some immunity until they have their shots. Also if you plan to wear bub and not pass him/ her around I think you'll be fine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go! I know there are risks with unvaccinated babies but having bub in a carrier would prevent a lot of that right? I flew home with DD3 only 10 days after a c/s then flew again at 3 weeks for a wedding and home again a few days later. I had her in a sling the whole time or her capsule with a blanket covering her.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post: