+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We normally recommend things like keeping active through things like walking, walking stairs, curb walking (one foot on the road, other foot up on the curb) as it helps maintain the pressure of bubs head on the cervix, and the uneven surface of stairs/curb is thought to help the body release its natural prostaglandin hormone which is what helps to soften/ripen the cervix. Sex is supposed to help too. There are a few thoughts around this as some people will say that the protein in semen will help to ripen the cervix (not helpful when in a same sex relationship!), but one of the midwives I work with will always tell women that it's about having hot sex. Sex so good you have an amazing orgasm, as that is what can also help stimulate the uterus to contract. A hot curry is often recommended for the same reasons as castor oil. Again not a huge fan of this as the though of gut pain, diarrhoea plus a ring of fire and then going in to labour does not sound appealing! Bouncing on a birth/fit ball, rolling your hips side to side while sitting on it, rolling around on it in circles etc will all help with pressure from the head onto the cervix. Basically any position that's going to keep you upright so gravity can help. Avoid sitting in reclined positions such as slouched back on a couch or in a recliner chair. I'm sure there are plenty of others I can't think of at the moment too. Sometimes though, your body just isn't ready to have a baby at 39 weeks. We had someone the other week who had a failed induction and went home after 3 doses of prostaglandin gel and had no change to her cervix. Came back a week later, 1 dose of gel and then spontaneously laboured after that requiring no rupture of membranes or oxytocin hormone. Have faith in your body. It knows what to do and will do so when it's ready. If your dr has said no induction necessary until 41+3 then you've still got 2 weeks for things to change. That's heaps of time. Try to enjoy it as much as you can!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (29-12-2016),TortoiseNotTheHare  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much for all of that information! I guess it's daunting being a first time mum and feeling like my body should be doing more at this stage. I'll try some of those things that you have suggested! I'm trying to stay as active as possible and have had what feels like stabby, sharp on my cervix so I think that's bubs head hitting it which will hopefully help despite it being a little painful! I'll keep moving and try to sit upright rather than reclining and hopefully that will also help funnily enough I don't mind staying pregnant for longer, I'm just more paranoid about something happening to bub as a result of it. Thank you again, I feel much better now and will avoid castor oil now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default *possible trigger* Castor Oil

As long as you're aware of your body and your baby, you will be fine. Things like movements will be your first indicators of there being an issue. If you keep an eye on those Bub should be ok.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 29-12-2016 at 10:08.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

TortoiseNotTheHare  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad it's probably just an awful coincidence, because you hear people recommending castor oil and I think a lot of pregnant women maybe don't know how it's actually supposed to work.
    Contractions are painful enough without adding stomach cramps, and you worry enough about pooping during birth that you wouldn't want to make it worse for yourself!
    It just seems like it's still a fairly common thing, so I'd hate to think it was really that dangerous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Doing some reading on google, there is some anecdotal evidence that castor oil consumption can lead to Bub passing meconium due to the intense cramping that the castor oil can cause to mum. I've tried to stay away from forum type posts and instead have found this from more reputable sources of information. One study I did find, "Castor oil for induction of labour: not harmful, not helpful" showed that the conclusion of the study was that "... findings leave no justification for recommending castor oil for this purpose."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @M'LadyEm. I did some googling when I was pregnant with DD1, decided against ever trying it and hadn't thought much about it until seeing that post on FB yesterday.
    I hope that if the story is actually true, that the poor mum doesn't blame herself for a tragic coincidence for the rest of her life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little boy was 11 days overdue and didn't pass meconium until hours after birth whereas my friend's son was 6 days early and passed meconium during labour, so I don't think it's necessarily got anything to do with due date. I was always told it's believed to happen if baby is distressed during labour.

In saying that, during our childbirth classes it was emphasised that castor oil is not recommended and is discouraged as there is absolutely no evidence it brings on labour and can make you very sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsVZ View Post
    My little boy was 11 days overdue and didn't pass meconium until hours after birth whereas my friend's son was 6 days early and passed meconium during labour, so I don't think it's necessarily got anything to do with due date. I was always told it's believed to happen if baby is distressed during labour.

In saying that, during our childbirth classes it was emphasised that castor oil is not recommended and is discouraged as there is absolutely no evidence it brings on labour and can make you very sick.
    Overdue babies and babies distressed during labor are more at risk of passing meconium.