+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bachelor Primary Education

Hi lovely ladies,

I am considering doing my Bachelor of Primary Education via Swinburne and would love to hear from anyone else considering becoming a teacher or anyone who has completed the course and found work after graduating.

Thanks in advance xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi @MommaChili I started studying with Swinburne doing my bachelor of Ed 1.5 years ago. They were very easy going, flexible, and great to chat with others across the boards online. I've got 4 daughters and didn't find the workload too hard to manage however I had to defer when my RAAF husband was posted to another state in July. As far as work goes, I couldn't help you there sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I graduated as a teacher mid year this year. Work prospects differ greatly from state to state, so without knowing where you live I can't help much with that!

I guess the key part in securing work is flexibility to move. A lot of new graduates move (often rural) to get their foot in the door. In SA it seems to be a lot harder to get primary teaching work than secondary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both for your replies, I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    I have dealt with Swinburne before and felt they were the best to deal with out of most other options. When did you do your first placement @BabyG4 and did they help you secure it?

I have quite a few primary schools in my local area and have heard they hire a lot of the student teachers that go through them so I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones.

Congratulations @Curby on graduating
    I wouldn't mind too much if I had to move to a rural area as long as I was guaranteed work as hubby would then have to leave his job.
    We are in VIC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I did a grad dip and got a rural posting however they refused to move me from contract to perm so I moved from primary to kindergarten

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mamasupial did they place you rurally and not give you any other option?
    Were you able to go to kindergarten with a primary education qual?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    You either take their offer or you don't and if you don't you will probably go to the bottom of the list. I was happy to do rural if I was made perm so I could eventually transfer. I was super rural too. A remote aboriginal island.

I had to do a cert III to do kindergarten teaching.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow and that was with Swinburne? They made out like they were super flexible with placements.

How was it working in a rural island community?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm half way through primary ed. The biggest advice I can give you, is choose a uni that is physically based near you. What happens is that schools usually have agreements with the unis near them, and they give that uni first dibs on placements. If you go through an out of area uni you often find the placements are hard to come by close to you. And also, when you do distance ed with a close uni they often organise placements for you, mine does. Whereas if you choose a uni not near you, you have to organise your own. Which means fronting up to every school to speak to the principal *plus* having to fight for a place against those students that attend the local uni.

I have found mine very demanding but mine is graduate and they shave off considerable time making it very tough.

As to work, I've found if you are rural, you should be fine, metro is another story. Most start out doing relief work for a year or two so the school get to know them, then are offered a contract.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaChili View Post
    Wow and that was with Swinburne? They made out like they were super flexible with placements.

How was it working in a rural island community?
    It wasn't the prac placement it was education Queensland.

It was really tough but so rewarding.