+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think I would find it really hard to forgive and I'd probably always have a certain anger inside, but I think in the long run I'd have to try and find a way to forgive in order to move on with my life and be able to function properly for the sake of my other children.

I remember Oprah used to use this phrase on her show all the time that forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different. I never really understood what she meant back then but as I get older it makes more sense.

I know someone whose child was killed in a car accident caused by a relative. It's been about 20 years and she interacts with that relative and has said that she's forgiven them. Her life is full and happy and joyful. I'm sure she still has deep private pain but she has managed to be a wonderful mother to her other children. I would hope if I were to ever experience such a horrific thing that I could find the grace and strength to be like her.

My heart goes out to that family. What an awful thing to happen and on Christmas no less. I can't even imagine their sorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wondering if people's answers would change if the driver was an alcoholic? I expect that a lot of high range drink driving is alcoholics. An alcoholic has less control over their actions - it's an addiction and medical condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Just wondering if people's answers would change if the driver was an alcoholic? I expect that a lot of high range drink driving is alcoholics. An alcoholic has less control over their actions - it's an addiction and medical condition.
    Its definitely a subject that we can all guess how we would react but the reality may be very different.

If it was an alcoholic I think the hatred toward that person would be the same as if it was just someone that had one too many and made a poor choice

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **trigger** would you forgive?

Nope I couldn't forgive him as he deliberately got behind the wheel drunk and drove his car !

I could never forgive him and the family are bigger people than I'll ever be.
    Last edited by granny1; 28-12-2016 at 17:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Those that would forgive, are you religious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I am catholic but I'm not overly religious. My religion wouldn't come into it I don't think, not for forgiveness anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont know. Forgiving is actually something I struggle with in general and I am working on it because I recognize how damaging that can be.

I think drink driving is reckless and irresponsible and dangerous. But it's not evil. I think it is one of those decisions that an otherwise decent human being could make and cause irreparable damage. It shows very poor judgment, but sadly drunk people don't always have the best reasoning skills.

I think for me it would come down to whether or not they showed remorse.

I actually know two different people who have been the driver in these situations and maybe that is why I am not so quick to hang this guy up to dry. Both of the men I know were driving cars while under the influence (one 13 yrs ago, one 6 yrs ago). Both were responsible for the death of another person. Both spent time in jail. Neither of them have 'recovered' from their actions. The course of their lives have been forever altered, not because they went to jail and were punished, but because living with the fact they killed someone is too hard. Neither drink alcohol at all anymore. One turned heavily to religion. The other is an outspoken advocate against drink driving.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (29-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (29-12-2016),Renn  (29-12-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

I imagine that yes, I probably would forgive. Far too much that happens in life is something that could happen to any one of us, and I seem to tap into that and err on the side of forgiveness most of the time. I would struggle if the perpetrator appeared to show no remorse though or wasn't somehow affected by events. From what I have read this driver was significantly over the limit so possibly would have driven regardless, but examples like this are part of the reason I believe in 0 BAC when driving. That's a whole other kettle of worms though.

No matter what I think, I was so deeply saddened by this story and have spent a lot of time thinking about everyone involved.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (29-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (29-12-2016),mckel  (29-12-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    yes, I am religious,. I don't know how much of my religion is influencing my response. I have heard many times that forgiveness is something that gives rest to the person who is the forgiver not the person who is forgiven. I think I would need to forgive in order for me to find peace. I also think, I could forgive the person, but never forgive the actions. I have no tolerance for people who drink too much, and absolutely no acceptance of anyone who drinks and then drives.
    I really feel such sadness for this poor family. What a terrible situation. marie.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (29-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (29-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly, I don't think any of us know how we'd respond unless we've beenin this situation.

That said, it would depend on how remorseful the driver seemed. If they appeared genuinely distraught and remorseful (in the long run, because in the heat of things shock can take over), then yes I think I would forgive them. They didn't set out to kill a child, and whilst they made a selfish and dangerous decision, it's nothing like pre-meditated murder. If they didn't appear to accept responsibility, then I'm not sure I could forgive them. I'd hope to eventually, for my own sake.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (29-12-2016),Full House  (29-12-2016)