I love Xanthe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I love Xanthe
    I love Xanthe too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    Chrisanthy (pronounced kris-ANNE-thee)?

It's been a favourite of mine for a long time and hopefully I get to use it one day. Its a Greek name meaning golden flower. The proper spelling is actually Chrysanthe though but to honour someone I know named Chris (Christine) I prefer it spelt differently.

Thoughts?

If you met a girl or woman named Chrisanthy what would you think?

Is Santhy a good nickname? Santhy by itself is a Hindu name meaning peace.

Would think of my Dad's Aunty with that name - so elderly lady, overweight, with dark black hair.

So not something I could name a baby or child or teenager or 20/30/40 something female.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not particularly to my personal taste, but I think it's a perfectly respectable and lovely name - if you like it, great! I'm also not a big fan of Xanthe, and that is quite a popular name. I prefer names with regular spelling, as DH has a fairly normal name, but with very unusual spelling - and we are constantly spelling it out for people. We've had things engraved with his name on it that came back with incorrect spelling! We spell his name out over the phone when organising insurance, etc, and the forms still come to us with his name spelled wrong. Every time he receives an invitation to an event such as a wedding, even from family members (Cousins etc), his name is spelled incorrectly. Literally no-one spells it right, ever. Except me and his mother So I am not a huge fan of 'creative' spelling, but everyone is different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    It's not particularly to my personal taste, but I think it's a perfectly respectable and lovely name - if you like it, great! I'm also not a big fan of Xanthe, and that is quite a popular name. I prefer names with regular spelling, as DH has a fairly normal name, but with very unusual spelling - and we are constantly spelling it out for people. We've had things engraved with his name on it that came back with incorrect spelling! We spell his name out over the phone when organising insurance, etc, and the forms still come to us with his name spelled wrong. Every time he receives an invitation to an event such as a wedding, even from family members (Cousins etc), his name is spelled incorrectly. Literally no-one spells it right, ever. Except me and his mother So I am not a huge fan of 'creative' spelling, but everyone is different
    I think with such an uncommon name like Chrisanthy/Chrysanthe people would constantly ask how to spell it anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not a fan but I also wouldn't think twice if I met anyone with the name.
    And in this day and age, I find no matter what the name people double check the spelling. One of my girls has a really classic, simple name and we get asked how to spell it because people replace y's with ee's and things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like Chrysanthe, I think it really nice. Not so much a fan of Chrisanthy, it looks like someone tried to write Chris Anthony and stuffed up.
    Santhy is a nice nickname too

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-12-2016),RmumR  (28-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chrisanthy (pronounced kris-ANNE-thee)?
    Thoughts?

If you met a girl or woman named Chrisanthy what would you think?

Is Santhy a good nickname? Santhy by itself is a Hindu name meaning peace.

I love that name, partly because it sounds like the name of a flower which I associate with beauty, but also because it resembles a traditional name but with variation.
    I went to school with a girl named Xanthy, she was my friend for a very long time in primary school until they moved away, I think in part too I love your choice in name because it also resembles hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 is Zanthe (Zan-thee) and we love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think with such an uncommon name like Chrisanthy/Chrysanthe people would constantly ask how to spell it anyway.
    This is true.

I think the spelling you have chosen isn't too far from the original name anyway.

I'm another that prefers traditional names/spelling, but Chrisanthy actually has a 'pretty' sound to it. Whilst it's not a name I would choose, I certainly don't dislike it.