+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Check me on my washing routine

Hello!
    I am posting this because I want some feedback on my washing routine of my sons nappies.
    He has had an ongoing UTI issue while that front is getting better I just want to make sure I am doing the best I can, so here's the routine:
    • After changing flush any poo down the toilet.
    • Rinse the nappy in clean water.
    • Transfer it to a pre-soak bucket with a cap of Dynamo in it.
    • When it's time to wash run through a warm pre-wash in the machine (8.5kg front loader).
    • Long wash at 60 degrees with 2 caps of Dynamo - no Napisan.
    • Hang on the line - if any have visible stains they go straight back for the next wash.
    • I don't use any fabric softeners or pre soakers than the Dynamo.
    I rarely use the dryer unless I'm desperate but I have enough nappies now to hold over for three days.
    I really really don't want to use disposables, does anyone have any suggestions to improve what I do? Different detergent? Two days on the line rather than one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Are you using modern cloth nappies or terry towelling squares?

My initial thought is that you are using way too much detergent.

Modern cloth nappies don't need rinsing or soaking. Dry pailing is fine. Then use a small amount of an 'eco' powder. I never hot washed mine. If she had a bout of gastro or something I would add some canestan to the wash. The real key is sun and lots of it when you are drying, it will remove stains and kill germs.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-12-2016),Mason98  (27-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use modern cloth, however I have some terry towelling as well but I don't use that much.

So when you say eco powder, do you mean something like earth choice? Also I like the idea of canestan, but after using that is it a good idea to rinse again just so as to remove any chemicals?
    I presume you mean wind back the detergent a bit from two caps to one?

His nappies always get a full day on the line my line is in the sun all day and even in winter it gets at least 6 hours of full sun light.

On dry pailing, I presume you mean delete the daily pre-soak bucket in favour of dry pailing after poo etc has been tipped down the toilet?

I listened to my mum when I got this going based on her advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use biozet on my MCNs and I also use bosistos eucalyptus stain remover if needed. DJNette was right though, sounds like way too much detergent. I use less biozet for nappies than for regular wash load.

Also, yes, she means ditch the soaking pail. I put mine in wet bags until ready to wash (I only wash nappies every 3rd evening). If DD has pooped I ditch the liner and poop (I use bamboo liners) then do a quick scrub with the eucalyptus stuff before putting it in the bag.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarmaJane For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (28-12-2016),Mason98  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    If you are using modern cloth than don't use dynamo at all. Use earth choice or biozet and only a tablespoon in a load.

If you put in canestan to the wash, no need to do an extra rinse. I would only use if he has been sick, not all the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (28-12-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've used ecostore and rockin' green with mcns and terry flats. I definitely recommend the rockin' green but it is expensive and you have to buy it online. We have always dry pailed nappies and done a regular strip wash.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (28-12-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Also, do you have a front loader? Often they don't use enough water to fully soak the nappies while washing (nappies are absorbant!) so I put them through a rinse (no spin) cycle first then add detergent and put through wash cycle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say - nappies are covered in ****! You need a decent detergent to get them clean. Mason I think your routine sounds fine, except I would cut down on the quantity of Dynamo in the main wash to 1 cap and stop soaking nappies.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Also, do you have a front loader? Often they don't use enough water to fully soak the nappies while washing (nappies are absorbant!) so I put them through a rinse (no spin) cycle first then add detergent and put through wash cycle.
    I found I needed to do this when dry pailing then running through the front loader.

I always used earth choice and like PP's a bit less than a normal wash (though my nappy load was generally smaller too). I'd only do a 60 degree cycle + napisan for a strip wash, otherwise usually just the rinse, then 30 deg cycle.

I read that it's not recommended to use 'enzyme' detergents which would mean no biozet - not sure why though. Also be careful as heaps of common brands are adding softner as standard now, which reduces absorbency.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I really appreciate the input.

I'll go and buy some earth choice liquid, it's usually one of the cheapest on the shelf so I have nothing to loose by trying it, I already use their dish liquid and find it great.

I do have a front loader I run them through a pre-wash first, but I also top the machine up with water if I can't see any visible water in the drum - usually about quarter of a bucket .

Given so many of you said too much detergent I will switch it down to one cap of Dynamo or Earth choice, I use liquid dynamo, I have never used powder. And I'm also going to stop the soak and do the dry pail.

I do have to say though, I am a fan of hot washing at 60c after some things I read about washing temps.
    Do any of you see any really good reason to stop this?