+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know what you mean, our house now definitely feels like home and another house I lived in a long time ago with my ex-husband did too (we were broken in to 3 times in 3 years and he insisted we move but I was devastated, I wanted to pick that house up and just move it to a new location!) There's been housed in between that just never really felt like home to me, I was never fully comfortable in them for some reason. It's hard to puta finger on why, it was just a 'vibe'.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We rented our apartment before buying it and finally after 5 years it's starting to become home. It's a construction site at the moment due to some water leaks since we moved in finally being addressed but we are using the opportunity to do some things to make it more like home. It always feels messy though, no matter how many times I sort out the cupboards the kids just make it messy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally get a feel.. I have moved into my DH house (we are in the process of finding a house together in the next year) this house is just uncomfortable. I hate it. I have redecorated, but I still always feel awkward in the house. Maybe because it isn't "ours" and it was "his" but still there is just something about this house that makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We built this house and it def feels like home.
    Going on 5yrs now since we moved in. I very happily spent a lot of time in our home and cannot fathom the thought of moving even if that meant getting the perfect house.

Im so glad to have the 'home' feeling that i hadnt had since leaving my parents home at 21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our house feels like home. Never had this feeling you are describing except that one time where I was unhappy in my life.

Nowadays I feel like any roof above my family's head would feel like home whether we are renting or owning. Even a short holiday house rental feels like a holiday home IYKWIM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house definitely feels like home. It's 100 years old and has so much character, despite its flaws. I work in s job which puts me in a LOT of different houses, and some of the modern ones really lack character. There was one house I was at last night (a long maisonette) that I just cannot imagine feeling homely at home in, no matter how it was furnished/decorated/arranged.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How does your house 'feel'?

There have been times when my house did NOT feel like 'home'. I bought it with my ex almost ten years ago. We were young & silly & had no idea what we were getting ourselves into (old house very poorly renovated in need of lots of repairs)...but the fact that i'd just bought my first home was enough. Then I started to see the place for what it really was, and along with cracks starting to show in our relationship it felt like anything but home! I desperately wanted to be anywhere else.

After our separation I rented a unit with baby DD and totally felt at home! That place was perfect for us. For the first time in my adult life I didn't have to worry about anything. It was warm, it was cosy, everything worked - and if anything didn't the landlord would fix it, it wasn't up to me! It was just what I needed at the time and I loved every minute there.

Fast forward a couple of years and in the divorce I ended up taking the house back. I didn't want to but after my ex had lived in it for two years on his own it was in no condition to sell, and he couldn't afford to buy me out. I think my mental health has suffered big time since being back here. The vibes are overwhelming. DP moved in with me shortly afterwards and that's had its struggles too. It's certainly not the house we would have chosen together. But, we have been doing some of the renovations and updates that were needed, and it definitely feels more like 'ours' now. I'm not sure where the future will take us! I like the area we're in, we have a great yard, a small mortgage and DD is happy here. We have created some lovely memories here now - I think we are slowly turning it into 'our' home.

That was a very long way of saying that yes, houses can definitely have 'feelings' haha!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the major thing that stops this place feeling right for me is the style of it. The houses that I felt most at home in were old, circa 1900-1920's timber homes with timber foors, vj walls, and a lot of character. This house is a late 80's brick and tile house and just feels...soulless. when we go out for the day and then head back I always have this deflated feeling and never say "going home", it's always "going back to the house". I've decorated with all of our stuff, but it still just feels off.

I think we'll be moving when the lease is up in June anyway... I'm now certain that there are electrical issues after the 4th appliance has shorted out this morning! And there's no bloody safety switch in the metre box!!! Will be getting onto the landlord about that today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get what you mean about the "right" feeling. This was what we were looking for when we were buying a house recently. It took a long time to find that feeling and if I have to be perfectly honest, I didn't quite get the warm & fuzzies when I saw this house but it was a stunning house that ticked all the boxes. Now that we've been here for several months, it definitely feels right.

With our old house, I hated everything about it from the moment I walked in, except the view from the back totally got me sold, plus it was all we could afford at the time, plus, we had been looking for something for months and I was desperate for DH to agree to move to that area, he wanted to be closer to the city but that would have meant buying a townhouse or a flat, and I wanted a house.. so the fact he didn't hate it was enough for us to both go "ok let's buy it". It took a while to settle in and make it feel like home but we ended up living there for 5 years and ultimately we loved it.

We only moved because there was a serious mould issue and I'm highly allergic

15. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Frankenmum I know what you mean about the soulless 80s architecture. It has got to be the worst decade for everything except maybe music and obviously awesome people were born in the 80s, like myself

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-12-2016)