+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Am I a grinch?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    BH confuses me. So many people complain that they have no social life or that their family sucks or that they are lonely in the various threads. Yet they are up in arms about other people enjoying the same things.

I don't crack tantrums when people have loud Xmas lunches that disturb my or my kids nap, which believe me we all desperately need to have a good Xmas. Nor do I get offended when other people have music playing that may offend my sensibilities. I especially don't get upset when people have parties loud enough to wake my kids, no matter what reason.

Life's about enjoying the moments. I think I'm going to enjoy mine now.

Cheers and happy new year to you all. But then I'd expect you all to be upset that people have NYE parties and that fireworks go off.
    In all fairness - you come from a sociable culture that most Australians do not (3am partying with young kids isn't the norm here). And you do a really good job at tailoring your lifestyle to suit (afternoon naps to make up for the late nights). Your youngest is a little older now which would make things a little easier I am guessing?

From memory you have suffered the consequences of lack of sleep/PND when your babies were younger? Taking yourself back to that foggy stage - can you understand why some with young kids may like to maximize their sleep as much as possible? What they might baulk at noise from their neighbors 2am partying? Different lifestyles at play maybe?

There are other ways for people to be sociable that don't involve ****ing their neighbours off at 2am. Not being in board with 2am partying doesn't mean someone is a party pooper and it doesn't mean they don't need or deserve contact it don't have a right to cry out when they are feeling lonely. It just means they have a different lifestyle from you.
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-12-2016 at 01:38.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-12-2016),amyd  (28-12-2016),cheeeeesecake  (28-12-2016),delirium  (28-12-2016),Frankenmum  (28-12-2016),Full House  (28-12-2016),GingerKat  (28-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (28-12-2016),Hopeful37  (28-12-2016),kiwimum890  (28-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (28-12-2016),Mamasupial  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think it's grinchy to begrudge the occasional celebration & noise from neighbours.

C'mon, think about when you're together with friends & family -everyone's having fun & then having to be all 'shhh, inside voices only, music down'. Just no!

If it's occasional & someone is celebrating a birthday for example - let them have some fun. Suck it up for one/two/three nights a year. Even if it is illegal to make noise late. Bit of flexibility for others isn't too hard every now & then, even if it stuffs your night up.

Nighttime goes pear with or without disturbances in my household, but there isn't always something/someone to blame in those moments so you just get on with it.

But if ppl were regular noise makers then yes, I would grinch all over them!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

FUSSY  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    I do think it's grinchy to begrudge the occasional celebration & noise from neighbours.

C'mon, think about when you're together with friends & family -everyone's having fun & then having to be all 'shhh, inside voices only, music down'. Just no!

If it's occasional & someone is celebrating a birthday for example - let them have some fun. Suck it up for one/two/three nights a year. Even if it is illegal to make noise late. Bit of flexibility for others isn't too hard every now & then, even if it stuffs your night up.

Nighttime goes pear with or without disturbances in my household, but there isn't always something/someone to blame in those moments so you just get on with it.

But if ppl were regular noise makers then yes, I would grinch all over them!
    I just think it's possible to have a good time and celebrate without it being at the expense of other's comfort. You can still have your music up at an enjoyable level that doesn't keep your neighbors up. I know with my neighbor's bday party, they could have still had loud music but turned it down to where at least my earplugs and white noise was effective enough to be able to fall asleep. Yes, I was sleeping with earplugs and white noise and could still hear the songs word for word. If you're being so loud that the steps I'm taking to 'not be a grinch' to try and ensure I don't poop on your party aren't working then I think you are being a pretty big ********.

Like DT said, you don't know what is going on in somebody's life. Your celebration could be happening on what is a really horrible day for somebody else. Should they have to suck it up and not be able to at least have a reasonable amount of peace in their own home or should you suck it up and be a bit considerate with your noise?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-12-2016),AdornedWithCats  (28-12-2016),Frankenmum  (28-12-2016),GingerKat  (28-12-2016),gingermillie  (28-12-2016),VicPark  (28-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, totally agree it sucks in the moment. But if it's a disturbance of say 7hrs over the course of a year, not so bad?

I say this as someone who has neighbours from hell a few doors down. Completely inconsiderate bunch of tw*** that do whatever they want in an otherwise quiet street. Makes bed time difficult with music blaring & motorbikes zooming. But no one will approach them as they aren't the cooperative type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Am I a grinch?

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    Yes, totally agree it sucks in the moment. But if it's a disturbance of say 7hrs over the course of a year, not so bad?

I say this as someone who has neighbours from hell a few doors down. Completely inconsiderate bunch of tw*** that do whatever they want in an otherwise quiet street. Makes bed time difficult with music blaring & motorbikes zooming. But no one will approach them as they aren't the cooperative type.
    Probably not, depending on your circumstances. But if you live in a city where there are a lot of people living close together, if everyone has the attitude of 'I don't do this that often so it's ok,' that makes for some not very peaceful living conditions. One neighbor on one side decides they never have a party so it's ok. Then the next week another neighbor decides, so on and so on.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-12-2016),VicPark  (29-12-2016)