ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Santa will be stopping in here, Master DS aged 7 is beyond excited and miss nearly 2 is indifferent but will probably like the wrapping paper

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Being brave here after being torn to shreads in santa threads before.

No santa gifts here.
    We dont believe in the mondern version of santa. We do the the st nick story of centuries ago.
    We dont shun santa we just dont do him like other families.
    We focus on the birth of christ (yes we know its not the actual date etc) and on family.
    Hugs. Sorry that you have had that response previously.

Everyone celebrates differently - my family did not celebrate at all growing up!

I truly hope the best for you and your family in the next year.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-12-2016),LoveLivesHere  (24-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Hugs. Sorry that you have had that response previously.

Everyone celebrates differently - my family did not celebrate at all growing up!

I truly hope the best for you and your family in the next year.
    Thanks.
    I am fine with now. I just hate when strangers or shop keepers go mad at my kids if they mention they dont believe.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (24-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-12-2016),twinklify  (24-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, Santa is coming here. As soon as the kids are definitely asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    All presents under the tree and DD is still fast asleep. Yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yesssss!!! I'm so excited 😀 Currently watching Miracle on 34th Street and drinking wine while waiting for DS1 to be properly asleep so that Santa can visit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids know santa is a story/ make-believe - I tell them it's a game of pretend that parents like to play with their kids. The difference is that I tell them it's just pretend, where other kids think the 'game' is real - so we don't want to spoil the game for others by telling them it's not real. So santa doesnt come, but we do gifts and christmas celebrations and family time Similar to @LoveLivesHere we have copped some flak over our choice not to convince our kids that santa is real - particularly from other parents along the lines of 'your kids had better not ruin christmas for my kids by telling them the truth'. It sucks that my choice isn't seen as valid. I won't go into my own personal reasons for not doing santa, because I think for parents who DO have santa, it feels like an attack on their own choices, which I dont intend to do at all. I read a great article in psychology today recently if anyone is interested... it pretty sums up my exact reasons why we don't do santa, but we totally respect others' choice to if they want to.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/plato-pop/201212/say-goodbye-the-santa-claus-lie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (24-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes Santa is coming and my kids are very excited (despite my 3yr old being quite sick, poor thing)! I think it might be the last year my 6yr old believes though, and it's been the most fun with him this year. So aware, yet still believing. So I'll be sad when that's over. 🙁 Need to read/research how to deal with that when the questions come!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read that article and a lot of it does make sense.
    I still prefer to do the Santa thing though. For us personally I don't think it's lazy or stifling. But I would say it's because from my own personal experience, my parents didn't do the Santa thing, I can't ever remember believing in Santa (my parents weren't adverse to lying to me, my father had me convinced for over a year that I was an alien that they adopted) they just couldn't be bothered with it. No moral objections, it was just too hard for them. And as a kid I was a bit resentful of them for it. I wanted to have something magical to believe in and felt a little robbed.
    We plan on, when our eldest starts questioning it though, explaining that everyone is a Santa. And telling him to buy a gift for somebody that he thinks needs a nice gift and leaving it anonymously for them. So that he can "continue the magic" of Santa. And eventually, I hope that all of my children will selflessly give an anonymous gift each year to someone they pick, just so they too can feel the joy of giving.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (24-12-2016),TortoiseNotTheHare  (26-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Santa is magic. I have the most amazing memories of Santa, my Christmas's were always so magical and I wanted to recreate thst for my kids.
    Not all of my kids believe anymore, and I don't force them to believe...once they stop believing that's it. My kids have all been blown away that it was actually us that did it all for them, and relished in the magic of it all. I adore Santa, I didn't read the article posted...I don't mind what others choose for their family but I would never choose to not do Santa no matter what the 'experts' say...he gave me some of the best memories of my life. I wanted that for my kids.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-12-2016),Mod-DJ Nette  (24-12-2016)