+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Part time job - night shift

I applied for a job which I got a call about today, basically saying I was on the shortlist for interviews which they will schedule next week.

It is a night shift role which I have never done before and just wanted to hear from others that work night shift. It is an administration role within a hospital. It would be 3 nights a week one week (in a row) and then the next week would be 2 nights in a row and then an afternoon shift 2 days later.

My oldest would be at school and I have daycare 2 times a week for my youngest. My mum is also around and possibly would be able to help as well.

I've never done night shift before but the job sounds really interesting and I was looking for a change.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My husband works nights ( 5 days straight).

Pros: he likes his work
    He looks after the kids 1 and half days whilst I work during the day
    Cons:
    His 5 nights of work is 6 days of sleep
    His quality of sleep isn't great
    We miss him at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have been working nights on and off for a few years but nights only for the last year and a bit. I currently do 9 a fortnight but I do usually pick up an extra one or two if needed.

Lack of sleep is a big thing. My job is also quite physical and mentally challenged. I do however sit at the computer for anything between 2 and 3hrs a night due to all the documentation I am required to do.

With it being school holidays, I feel bad because I could be doing something with my son but I need to sleep. Thankfully he understands most days and is quite happy to do his own thing while I sleep or rest. Also most days I am only actually sleeping between 3 and 4hrs. I have tried sleeping tablets and they don't work for me.

Make sure your bedroom is set up so you can rest properly and the children are looked after(I only have 1 and he is older).

As I don't have a partner, my parents switch it up between themselves to watch my son. I still do absolutely everything for him like dinner, bed etc plus all the usual house hold work but I let it go until it needs to get done or do a good clean usually on my second day off as my first is spent resting and having a small sleep so I can get a good sleep on my nights off.

Good luck with your interview. I have prolly missed a fair bit of what I wanted to say but I am currently at work and finally sitting down for 20mins pending if everyone decided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH is a shift worker. The hardest thing is being able to get good quality sleep during the day.

My kids are 3.5 & 10 months. My 3.5 year old has no concept of being quiet (same story for when the baby sleeps ) so you need to be able to switch off & ignore all outside noise. It's hard because dogs bark, lawns get mowed etc. My DH is a good sleeper though but he is wrecked by the end of his shifts so give yourself a day to 'get over' work.

As PP said the pros for us are he does 4 on/4 off so he gets looks after the kids when I work. He enjoys his work & likes the variety of days off.

The other thing is I find other people have no concept of shift work & that he needs to sleep through the day! He isn't just 'having a nap'. People often get offended if I tell them I don't want visitors as he has been on night shift & is asleep. Ummmm would they like visitors at 3am??

It sounds like a good job, I would definitely give it a go. Just make sure you can set yourself a 'routine' for day sleep. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant wait to be a mummy View Post
    My DH is a shift worker. The hardest thing is being able to get good quality sleep during the day.

My kids are 3.5 & 10 months. My 3.5 year old has no concept of being quiet (same story for when the baby sleeps ) so you need to be able to switch off & ignore all outside noise. It's hard because dogs bark, lawns get mowed etc. My DH is a good sleeper though but he is wrecked by the end of his shifts so give yourself a day to 'get over' work.

As PP said the pros for us are he does 4 on/4 off so he gets looks after the kids when I work. He enjoys his work & likes the variety of days off.

The other thing is I find other people have no concept of shift work & that he needs to sleep through the day! He isn't just 'having a nap'. People often get offended if I tell them I don't want visitors as he has been on night shift & is asleep. Ummmm would they like visitors at 3am??

It sounds like a good job, I would definitely give it a go. Just make sure you can set yourself a 'routine' for day sleep. Good luck!
    You have hit the nail on the head with the visitors. My ex who I am still on good terms with, he visits on his days off which are days I work. He will spend all day at my house at times so I miss out on sleep. He never comes over after he works as he says he needs sleep but somehow I don't?

I also keep my phone on silent now unless I am expecting an important call. The days I really need sleep, I will get phone call after phone call for nothing in particular apart from a chat. Once I am awake, I am awake even if it's only been a 30min nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    You have hit the nail on the head with the visitors. My ex who I am still on good terms with, he visits on his days off which are days I work. He will spend all day at my house at times so I miss out on sleep. He never comes over after he works as he says he needs sleep but somehow I don't?

I also keep my phone on silent now unless I am expecting an important call. The days I really need sleep, I will get phone call after phone call for nothing in particular apart from a chat. Once I am awake, I am awake even if it's only been a 30min nap.
    I am so glad it's not just me! Is your ex also a shift worker? You would think he would understand more? I have a family member that got offended because I didn't want her & her three noisy kids visiting while my DH was sleeping..

It's hard to sleep once you're woken.

Sorry for de-railing OP, but keep these things in mind if you get the job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant wait to be a mummy View Post
    I am so glad it's not just me! Is your ex also a shift worker? You would think he would understand more? I have a family member that got offended because I didn't want her & her three noisy kids visiting while my DH was sleeping..

It's hard to sleep once you're woken.

Sorry for de-railing OP, but keep these things in mind if you get the job!
    We both work at the same place so yes, he does perm night shift too. You would think he would understand but clearly he doesn't.