+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toddler blood test tips?

I have to take 17 month old dd for a blood test today. She's had blood tests before but they've been able to do it by pricking her finger and squeezing the blood out drop by drop which is time consuming but didn't upset her. This one will need to be a proper needle in the arm test
    I am going to take some bubbles to distract her and get some emla cream to numb her arm too. Is there anything else I can do to make it a bit easier/less traumatic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pathology staff should know the best way. I have sat him on my knee with arms around him like a seat belt and sang to him. He was fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my DD was 18 months old in hospital they wrapped her in a towel with just the arm out to get a cannula in. Do you think your Bub would be calmed or freaked out by wrapping? Just an option.
    Try applying Emma cream or patch to the area 1 hour before going - you can buy it at the chemist.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ring the pathology place beforehand and let them know you're coming because they may want two people on to help. This is what my local place told me when DD had to get one done. Lots of water to drink beforehand.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Ring the pathology place beforehand and let them know you're coming because they may want two people on to help. This is what my local place told me when DD had to get one done. Lots of water to drink beforehand.
    And sometimes they have a phlebotomist that is better with kids so if you ring they can let you know the best time to get them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone we have just been. They said not to bother with emla cream. So they had me hold her with an arm around her to hold the arm not being used still and my legs over hers and they had 2 phlebotomists and one held her arm steady while the other did it. DH blew bubbles at her to calm her down. She did cry but it was over quickly and they gave her a finger puppet and she smiled and said bye bye so she wasn't too traumatized! Glad it's over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That's great that it went well. My DD has had loads of blood tests due to her cancer treatment so she's pretty used to it now (she's 5). Believe it or not, blood tests hurt less for kids than their immunisations. DD barely flinches for blood tests but screams for her immunisations.
    My big tip is to make sure they eat a decent meal an hour or so prior to the blood test to make sure their veins are plump (ever noticed how fat the veins on your hands are after a big meal, especially pasta based?), and start hydration 24 hours before it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post: