+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default End of lease

Elijahs mum. By a quick buck wants our bond to pay for repairs we tried and tried to notify him about. I'm not even going to tell him about the leak behind the tiles in the bathroom. He refused to listen to us about the leak in the ensuite.

Nope did not see the crack on the tile until I was sitting on the loo.

I'm wondering if I need to be a forensic expert when I move in to places.
    Last edited by MysticFalls; 23-12-2016 at 14:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You sound very stressed about this all, I understand moving is a very trying time. Just wait until you have moved out to see if the agent decides to pursue these items. Clean the house thoroughly, repair any damage you caused and only worry if/when something becomes and issue. It's not worth ruining Xmas for!!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Curby  (27-12-2016),Happymum2  (23-12-2016),JustJaq  (24-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Elijahs mum. By a quick buck wants our bond to pay for repairs we tried and tried to notify him about. I'm not even going to tell him about the leak behind the tiles in the bathroom. He refused to listen to us about the leak in the ensuite.

Nope did not see the crack on the tile until I was sitting on the loo.

I'm wondering if I need to be a forensic expert when I move in to places.
    It costs landlords time and money to go to tribunal to claim a bond so there is nothing quick or lucrative about it! If you have given the agent proper notice for any repairs there will be no drama at the end of the lease as you have reported the repair ( you can't make tenants pay for owners repairs unless you caused the damage)

If the agent and tenant didn't notice the crack in the tile on your initial report then there are 2 reasons a) it's so small it's not noticeable so can be considered reasonable wear and tear so no tribunal will make you replace it or b) someone in your household did damage it after you moved in

A normal ingoing inspection report takes an agent approx 2 hours to document ( each room, external, photos, data entry ) so yes I believe a tenant should expect to go over their property the same way when you move in as yes it's a huge commitment by both parties and your talking about an asset worth hundreds of thousands of dollars

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got the keys and I had 1 hr to do the report before furniture came.

I did the best I could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post

A normal ingoing inspection report takes an agent approx 2 hours to document ( each room, external, photos, data entry ) so yes I believe a tenant should expect to go over their property the same way when you move in as yes it's a huge commitment by both parties and your talking about an asset worth hundreds of thousands of dollars
    Agreed.

It takes me a whole day to go over the ingoing inspection report when we move into a rental. I go through each room with a fine tooth comb and end up attaching several extra pages of notes to the document because there's never enough space to write everything down.

It's not that I think the RE is out to get me or anything like that, I just want to be sure in a year or two years time when I'm doing the end of lease clean, that the scratch on the wall or the chip in the tile wasn't caused by us. I think it's definitely worth the time for that peace of mind. Also, I think agents take one look at it at the end of the lease and go "can't be bothered reading through 16 pages of tiny notes, I'll just tick that everything is fine" (disclaimer: the house is always spotless at the end anyway, but it just saves any unnecessary to-ing and fro-ing).

We get sent a similar document to what you've posted prior to inspections, OP. I was super worried about the inspection when I received such an official looking and thorough checklist, but on the day the agent and landlord were both completely lovely and thanked us for keeping the property so beautiful. It's just a standard checklist they send to make sure there are no misunderstandings about what is required

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (23-12-2016),JustJaq  (24-12-2016),smallpotatoes  (23-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I normally spent a good couple of hours doing entry condition report and taking photos of any damage. If I did happen to find any extra damage I emailed and kept a printed copy. They may still have a copy of your email. No sense worrying about it until you get the exit report - they may not bring up these problems because they know you didn't cause them. Make sure you allow yourself time to repair any damage / extra cleaning after they give you exit report. Start arranging timing with them now. Or ask them for copy of entry report + any correspondence noting damage. They're not out to get you or make money, this is a totally standard request for cleaning and is just asking you to clean thoroughly and repair any damage that you may have done, which is perfectly reasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also spend time doing the entry condition report. Start with floors/walls/doors etc and then end with cupboards/plumbing/electrical and then outdoors.

That way the floors/walls are done so you can put furniture in and as you put stuff in/near cupboards you check and photograph.

I can see you are really stressed and are not happy with the real estate so it seems you are seeing/reading something more into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think you've misinterpreted that list. It's only requiring that you repair any damage done during YOUR tenancy, that's all. Some wear and tear is expected, but any obvious damage that isn't listed on the condition report is of course your responsibility.

That list is pretty standard and not unreasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're completely overreacting. You might not have seen an end of lease agreement like this, but it is a standard agreement. Take a few deep breaths and relax. If you haven't caused any damage I am sure you will be fine. Even when tenants do damage a property, it's extremely hard for a landlord to win at a tribunal (I know this as we had a rental that our tenants put cigarettes out on and we were told it was 'wear and tear.' In the end we ended up getting $200 for $2000 worth of carpet). Just do your normal end of lease clean and relax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    now the issue with the carpet i would NOT consider fair wear and tear. i would consider that damage.

Im interested to know what you all consider fair wear and tear???? Im extremely interested in this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast