+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default End of lease

End of lease cleaning tips wanted. Any suggestions from pros?

Also our end of lease clean tick sheet also says to replace the mesh on fly screens! Ummmm wtf!! Never have I ever heard this.

Surely to god this request is illegal. You've got to be joking!!

There is a small hole in the front door screen which I noted on the ongoing report.

The previous tenants trashed the place! So how could we be worse?

We have not intentionally damaged anything. Nor have we damaged anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to be a PM, and I've never heard of replacing fly screens! If they weren't brand new when you moved in, and aren't badly ripped, I don't see how they can enforce it.

Make sure you do the windows and window tracks, weed free garden, freshly mowed, clean cupboards etc. You need to leave it to the same standard as when you moved in. Check it against your PCR to make sure. Personally, I'd get a cleaner to do most of it if you can afford it. Windows etc take ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Check your initial contract. If it is not in there and there is no damage I would not replace.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We've never been asked to replace mesh on fly screens.

I recommend getting a professional cleaner in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The flyscreen thing is odd. I would second getting a professional cleaner, one that the agent recommends because then they don't tend to kick up a fuss about it. We've always had to go back and do extra on places where we didn't get professional clean, including one place where they made us scrub the whole lounge floor tile grout with toothbrushes lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we rented many years ago our agent tried to get us to replace mesh on screen door. I told her that is general wear and tear and now way would we be replacing it. She actually never mentioned it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When we sold our house in 2015 we rented it back off the purchasers for a few months, so we had to do a vacate clean.

I did it myself and started a few weeks early with things like skirting boards, window sills, walls, doors, cupboard doors, laundry drawers etc. Those things can be done in advance as they don't get dirty again before moving out.

Then once everything was out I cleaned everything from floor to ceiling in every room.

Outside we mowed, raked, weeded, tidied and swept. Also got rid of cobwebs inside and out.

Did not have to replace fly screens, and in 14 years in real estate I never heard of that being a requirement.

I always left rental properties cleaner than I got it, and it really gets my goat when people leave properties in poor condition, claiming that "that's how it was when we moved in". I personally couldn't do that. I didn't care how they looked when I moved in, I was going to leave it spotless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never heard of being asked to replace fly screen mesh!

Is this part of their standard checklist, or is it a specific request for you guys to replace the mesh due to damage?

My best tip would be to hire a professional cleaner just like others have suggested. Even if you just get one to come in for say 4 hours, they'll get a lot done in that time frame. I especially like a professional to take care of the kitchen and bathroom/s.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never heard of replacing mesh on fly screens either. Unless it's prefaced with "if they're damaged".
    I also think a professional cleaner is a good idea. Convenience and if it ends up at tribunal, receipts can be used as evidence.
    I've always had carpets cleaned properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's in their standard vacate cleaning checklist