+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. My anxiety would be through the roof there is no way I could do it. I'm also another person who has pets at home.
    It's just not worth the risk and I'm not sure what insurance would do if they knew the oven was left on and something happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do this all the time- my oven is electric and I figure it's no different to leaving any other appliance running. Quite often I'll get dinner started in there and take the dogs for a walk or do a yoga class come home and dinner is cooked.
    Wouldn't do this with a gas oven though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Nope. My anxiety would be through the roof there is no way I could do it. I'm also another person who has pets at home.
    It's just not worth the risk and I'm not sure what insurance would do if they knew the oven was left on and something happened.
    Good point about the insurance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I couldn't, I don't even leave slow cookers on when I'm not home, I'm too much of a stress-head and I would freak the whole time I was out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I would and have done. I only do it if I'm going to be close to home so if I can pop back if I end up taking longer than expected. Also only if it's something like a roast or casserole, not cake, pizza etc where 2 minutes can make all the difference between perfection and disaster.

I run as many appliances as possible during the day while at work as we have solar panels so that's when our electricity is free and green.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (23-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the reason we were considering leaving it unattended at home is because xmas lunch is at family members house, but due to the high risk bushfire zone we live in, it looks like kettle BBQ's will be banned from use on xmas day, so family member wanted to pop a roast in our oven because theirs will be full & we are not allowed to use any outdoor cooking options due to the bushfire conditions. It seems like the risk of a fire starting is low - but if a fire DID start in our home, the consequences would absolutely be catastrophic. With the conditions of the day, it would certainly result in a bushfire with massive loss of home and life in our community (devastating fires have happened in our community before) - which is why kettle bbq's are banned in the first place - I just dont know if leaving an oven unattended is the 'safer' option. It feels irresponsible due to the area we live in, we are already being told to enact our bushfire plans for xmas day in the event that one occurs - I really dont want to be the person to cause a fire, but family members always act like I am OTT for not wanting to leave an oven unattended. Still not sure what I'll do - might suggest we cook the roast at home in the morning & bring it with us in the slow cooker to keep warm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Would you purposely leave the oven on when not home?

I've left it running before but only when I'm popping out for a short time and obviously not in the same 'bushfire' circumstances. I'm pretty anti having the oven running when it's super hot outside as it just heats our home up even more when it's the last thing we need. Is nobody interested in doing some cooler options like oysters and prawns or fish since it will be so hot and you probably won't want a hot, heavy meal anyways?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Dishwasher yes, washing machine yes, dryer yes (only on warm setting, not too full and filter cleaned out), oven no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never done and it probably never would. I think because it's one of those things that my mum never ever did so I wouldn't even consider it. I'm too worried about fires.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you cook the roast in the slow cooker? I've never cook one this way but my friend does and always tells me how good it is.