+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Stopping Depo Provera - Help please :(

Hey There,
    I would really love to speak with some other people that have/are going through the same thing. I have been on birth control from 16 to 21 1/2 (5 1/2 Years). I first started on the birth control pill for two years, I was travelling heaps always forgetting so at the age of 18 I went onto the depo shot as this just seemed way more convenient and less chance of having an unexpected pregnancy, I went on the depo for just over a year and a half, I was then told by my doctor to have a break from this as you cant be on it for more than 2 years due to bone density issues, the whole time I was on the depo shot I had no period. I came off depo and went back onto birth control pills however ended up having non stop bleeding for 6 months, went to see a GYN who gave me medication to help stop the bleeding, which it did, was then told to wait till I got my period again before I start the pill again. After 3 months of waiting I started the pill again but had constant breakthrough bleeding and terrible side effects so the doctor recommended a different pill to no avail and said I should go back onto the depo shot and said it was unlikely I would have the same problem when stopping the shot the second time round (e.g the constant bleeding). I have now been back on the depo shot for 2 shots (5 months) no bleeding this time round either, I am due at the end of January to get another one but I would really like to not get this shot and let my body go back to normal. However I just don't know what to expect and how long this could actually take? I ideally would like to be considering children in the next 2 1/2 - 3 years but scared this might not be possible given all the bad stories I have heard about depo messing with women's fertility help please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was on Depp for a year. I was trying for a baby when I stopped it and finally fell pregnant 11 months after the missed shot (so 14 months since the last shot I got) but unfortunately lost that one at 8 weeks and haven't tried since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no I'm so sorry for your loss!
    This is one of my concerns too, wish they would explain how hard it will be before you start it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to the doctors today to discuss coming off Depo go bloods done to look at my hormone levels now as a base to see what happens when I stop to compare
    Has anyone had good experiences when coming off Depo ? :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stopping Depo Provera - Help please :(

I had the Depo when I was 18 due to moving to a remote location.
    I was on it for 18 months or so.
    When I relocated I stopped and took nothing so my body could "normalise" it took around 6 months, to get a normal cycle.
    I went back on the Depo when I was 24ish this time for 12 months, when I stopped I bled constantly, I was put on hormone tablets to stop it, again it was roughly 6 months to return to normal.
    I had my first child at 28.
    Whilst I was on the Depo it was an ideal contraceptive, coming off was quite an eye opener and how long after it affected my cycle.
    My dr told me bone density was only an issue if you took it before a certain age- 17??? For a long period of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!
    I hope it's pretty easy coming off it for the second time just hope I get relief from my side effects

Were you trying when you stopped the second time?

I'm not sure my doctor said if I was on it for over 2 years would increase my risk of osteoporosis and given that my mum also has osteoporosis at the age of 44 didn't want to put myself at more risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    No we didn't start TTC until I was 27ish, I don't believe it affected my ability to conceive at all.

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that there is now a reversal injection for it, so if you were to have adverse effects you go and get another shot to essentially neutralise the Depo, I'm obviously not a gp but perhaps if you went off it before the 3 months window and got the reversal shot the side effects would be minimum??

I'm now 35 so maybe at the time I was 18 they didn't have the medical research in regards to bone density, that's something that would definitely sway me not to get it again particularly if you are at higher risk

I'm currently trying to find an alternative estrogen free option, the mini pill reeks havoc on my body.
    It's so hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow if they had that injection that would be perfect might be something I can discuss further with my doctor.

Yeah kind of scary how much one injection can affect your body so much.

I found every pill they put me on as well didn't work well with me and was never stress free or side effect free.

Having a break to normalise my body as you put it is very needed so hard to tell what is a result of birth control and what is actually my body