+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Charging a Fee for Christmas Lunch?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think I could ever do that. If I invite people over for a meal of any sort, I need to make sure I can cover said meal.

I could never charge a friend or family member for a meal at my place, nor would I expect to be charged at theirs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I don't think I could ever do that. If I invite people over for a meal of any sort, I need to make sure I can cover said meal.

I could never charge a friend or family member for a meal at my place, nor would I expect to be charged at theirs.
    This. If it was an issue I would host Xmas lunch only every few years and/or ask people to bring a plate to share.

My SIL often hosts and ask that all the guests bring a plate, which I'm very happy to do. I'd be a bit miffed if she asked for money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My ex SIL used too! Thankfully I never had Xmas lunch with them but my MIL used to complain every year that she had to have to have the right money or SIL would get cranky! ( MIL was divorced and on a low income and they were not which made it even worse!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way, could never charge anyone to come over for a meal. If it was a joint decision to have Christmas at ones house, I'd have no problem asking each person to bring something to contribute to the table although I've never asked of that before..

Completely unrelated to Christmas but I had a friend that rang one night, she was in the neighbourhood, wondering if she could pop over. She came over with a pizza and 6 pack of vodka. I had already had dinner and didn't drink. Once she left with her vodkas in tow she sent me a message to say she forgot to grab the money for my half of the pizza and alcohol WTF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    People actually do this?! Normally we have Christmas at the ILs house and there's only 5 of us anyway. DH and I usually do dessert and pre-lunch snacks. This year will be the same. I can't wait until we have a place big enough to host a proper Christmas with other friends invited. Even if I had 20 ppl coming, I would never expect them to pay. I would just say to BYO alcohol and a plate to share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm... i would not. But is it different than saying 'bring a plate of xxx' as people would spend money on food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I had a big group of people though and asked people to bring a plate, it wouldn't be like "can you please bring 3kg of prawns". It would be like, a packet of chips, or some chocolates to share, maybe a salad etc. Spending $5-10 on something to bring isn't the same as asking everyone to front up $20-$30 that would go directly to the host. Who knows, they could be making a tidy profit out of people giving them $$$ rather than it actually going towards food/drinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also what if you offered to host in the middle of the year and then your DH lost his job? And you had planned cheaper food but your family pushed for certain expensive food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Hmmm... i would not. But is it different than saying 'bring a plate of xxx' as people would spend money on food?
    With bringing a plate to you are somewhat in control of what you spend and can tailor the dish to your budget.