+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing child's surname

I know there are quite a few posts similar to this but I was hoping to get some advice from anyone that has had success in changing a child's surname.

My DS has both his dads and my surnames hyphenated. This was never my preference but it was the only way to keep the peace. His dad has barely been around his whole life except when he wanted to make my life hell. In the past I have asked to drop his last name and only use mine and it lead to massive arguments.

He has agreed to drop his surname (finally) and will sign all the forms that are required to get this in place. Does anyone know of any reason why the name change would not be successful if both parents sign the form? I have listed what I consider to be an adequate reason for the change being that the length of the name causes confusion, he is being teased at school etc. I just don't want to submit and then have the name rejected for some reason I am missing.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my ex's surname on my DD1 birth cert up until last yr April. He flat out refused every other time i asked but last yr i went to him saying 'u dont pay child support, u dont ask to see her, i want her surname to be changed to the same as the rest of her family (i was marrying my now DH the following month) DD1 also requested to have the same surname as the rest of us as she felt left out. He finally agreed but he asked to move his surname to a second middle name. So as a compromise that is what we did. My DD1 has two middle names but now shares the same surname as the rest of her family.
    It was no ossue to change it also, just completed the formd and took it in the Births, Deaths and Marriages office with him and has the papers signed and paid for. No chance of rejection really.
    I now wish i had pushed to just have his surname removed altogether as I just found out the f*cker has moved permanently to Norway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It shouldn't be a problem if you've both signed the forms. My ex happily signed as he hadn't had anything to do with DD since she was born, and people actually assumed her surname was the same as mine. I didn't know how to tell her she had a different surname, one she'd never actually known from a father she'd never known! So he signed and I lodged the forms no problems.

If I marry DP I imagine I'll keep my surname, so she still has that 'family' connection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you get the paperwork signed and you both agree, I can't see it being an issue.