ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Mamasupial DS2 is extremely fussy. I went to a group run by the child health centre a few weeks ago - 'fussy eaters group'. It really helped.

The biggest thing I took from it was the division of responsibility. Look up Ellen Slattery online. It is the parents responsibility to decide what to offer and when. It is the child's responsibility to decide whether to eat and how much.

No pressure. No bribes.

Always offer a known and liked food when offering new or controversial foods.

Smelling, licking, tasting then spitting out new foods is not only ok but to be encouraged.

Keep offering new foods.

Lots of food play.

One of the things I've been doing with DS2 is scented play dough. I make my own play dough and add cinnamon, pepper, herbs all sorts of things (one dough of each scent). He really enjoys playing with it and it introduces new smells.

Huge huge hugs. It's is so damn hard. Xx

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

flowers21  (21-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Alternative dinners

Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    The biggest thing I took from it was the division of responsibility. Look up Ellen Slattery online. It is the parents responsibility to decide what to offer and when. It is the child's responsibility to decide whether to eat and how much.

x
    This is a much more articulate version of what I was trying to say when I said all I can do is offer the food, I can't make him eat it.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 21-12-2016 at 07:03.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think there is a difference between fussy and if there is issues.

U need to accept your child's issues. Move past them and go with the flow. If they have safe foods just feed them those. We give ours KFC, tomato sauce with weetbix because we know ds won't eat his food otherwise. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Usually I'm really patient and keep offering her things til she eats something.
    Can I suggest that rather than putting out the meal you want them to eat first and then when they refuse/spit it out offer the next thing and the next, try putting small piles of it all on the plate at once (or small bowls). So for DS this would look like a mound of flaked fish, some carrot sticks, plain boiled pasta, little mound of sultanas, 3 crackers and a little bowl of sweet yoghurt or nutri grain. Sugar is an appetite stimulant, so when he'd go for the sultanas or yoghurt first they would trigger his appetite, give him a calming serotonin hit and he would then tuck in to about the same amount/range of foods from the 'dinner' as he would have just without the battle.

It feels so wrong letting them have dessert before dinner but keeping dinner time calm has been really vital in helping our fussy eater become more comfortable exploring new foods. He's 3.5 now and has gone from eating about 15 foods at your DD's age to more than 100 now!

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-12-2016),flowers21  (21-12-2016),gingermillie  (21-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (22-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (21-12-2016),smallpotatoes  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    @Mamasupial DS2 is extremely fussy. I went to a group run by the child health centre a few weeks ago - 'fussy eaters group'. It really helped.

No pressure. No bribes.

Always offer a known and liked food when offering new or controversial foods.

Smelling, licking, tasting then spitting out new foods is not only ok but to be encouraged.

Keep offering new foods.

Lots of food play.

One of the things I've been doing with DS2 is scented play dough. I make my own play dough and add cinnamon, pepper, herbs all sorts of things (one dough of each scent). He really enjoys playing with it and it introduces new smells.

Huge huge hugs. It's is so damn hard. Xx
    Yep I have done all this but half the time she rejects the food she actually likes.

We do lots of sensory play at home and they work on it with her at childcare too.

I'll definitely look it up. Thanks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dinner is not a main meal here and never has been.
    They eat what they are given or they don't eat.
    They are given the 'meal' plus a piece of their fave fruit- so if even the fruit isn't eaten I know they are genuinely not hungry, and if it is the only thing eaten, it's something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 is intellectually and physically disabled, so he has food that we know he'll eat like pasta, sandwiches and stuff we know he can handle. Seeing their brother get alternatives has made dd and ds2 fussier which makes me frustrated. But since dd was diagnosed with diabetes last year I can't let her not eat, so she gets a sandwich or baked beans or something like that to keep her blood sugars stable overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm am having lots of trouble too dd2 is 16 months and a shocking Eater especially with dinner the only things she eat reliably is fruit pouches the baby ones everything else is hit and miss one day she will eat the next she won't and as she is.still very light on (spoke to you before about it 😃) it is a constant stress. I also can't feed her the same meal twice in a week and sometimes a fortnight it drives me crazy if she was chunky like her sister I wouldn't worry and would send to bed without dinner but can't do that. I keep trying to remind myself that hopefully she will grow out of it one day although I was a shocking eater too so bit of pay back I suppose. Texture isn't her problem as she has taken hand food from the start. I am loving some of the suggestions though. I hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alternative dinners

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    She won't eat anything except weetbix for breaky. Won't eat eggs, tomato or capsicum. She gets upset at anything being on her toast. To get her to eat fruit I make smoothies. Yogurt she just paints herself with.
    My dd eats weetbix every day for breakfast too. I always add a teaspoon of chia seeds as they are high omega 3, protein and fibre. She doesn't notice them in there luckily. I add them to lots of things for her and I think there are other things you can add too (like flaxseed? I'm not too sure) that she might not notice but add extra nutrition @Elijahs Mum might know what I mean.
    Eta to correctly tag Elijah's mum!
    Last edited by gingermillie; 21-12-2016 at 11:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Ohh I have chia seeds. Will try that tomorrow morning!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (21-12-2016)