ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    OP, what does she eat for breakfast? As other pp,s have said some kids just are not big dinner eaters, especially as toddlers as they prefer to graze so if you could make her eggs for brekky ( even better if she would eat them with herbs and capsicum or tomato in it!) and a variety at lunch with any proteins, cheese or yogurt for afternoon tea and even fruit or avocado toast for dinner she's still getting what she needs
    She won't eat anything except weetbix for breaky. Won't eat eggs, tomato or capsicum. She gets upset at anything being on her toast. To get her to eat fruit I make smoothies. Yogurt she just paints herself with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh that must be hard - What about smoothies? Or maybe boiled eggs as snacks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Alternative dinners

Mamasupial-
    My concern about not offering an alternative to basically starve your child into submission (let's face it that's what it is) is that this has zero chance on working on a FTT/petite child as they never reach that point iykwim? They can and will happily not eat well beyond the point of a "normal" child with a normal healthy appetite.

ETA: I also know this through personal experience going much of my childhood without dinner, as I did not like most foods, mum battled me every night for years and it did not change things one iota.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-12-2016 at 23:49.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (21-12-2016),gingermillie  (20-12-2016),smallpotatoes  (21-12-2016),Stretched  (21-12-2016),Tiny Dancer  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 2 and has become pretty fussy. He used to eat just about anything. Now we're down to bread (he'd live off this if I let him), vanilla yoghurt, milk, chips (baked potato in chip form), occasionally corn off the cob (but he doesn't like it when it gets stuck in his teeth and then stops), fruit - except he's started to refuse most of it after takung a bite, occasionally fish/home made oven baked chicken schnitzel, oats. Oh, and crackers/biscuits. And one brand of cheese.

He's only a skinny little thing (always has been), so I've been offering him one or 2 alternatives, then saying nope. And he's no better at day care. Tonight he chose his dinner, then refused it. He ended up with a banana smoothie with an egg and some greek yoghurt added in.

I've also tried to get him involved in choosing dinner - doesn't always help. He won't help prep it though. He will often want to try what we're eating, but spits it out almost straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Mamasupial your DD sounds exactly like mine.

It is so so difficult to deal with this type of picky eater.

Some days it seems like things are improving and she'll give something new a try and like it but the next day I offer it she'll refuse. It makes meal planning really hard because the standard advice is offer something they like with something new but I couldn't even tell you what DD likes. One day she likes it and the next she hates it.

Luckily we're not dealing with FTT, I don't know how though because she barely eats anything but I guess she's somehow managing to eat just enough to grow.

I just keep offering healthy options and try not to get angry and make a big fuss. It's hard because it requires a level of patience that I sometimes just can't reach.

Hang in there Mama, hopefully one magical day out girls will grow out of this phase. I just keep hoping for that because I don't really know what else to do.

I often think back to before I had kids and I'd read something about picky eaters or cooking separate meals and I was so arrogant to roll my eyes and think that'll never be me, my kids will eat everything. How wrong I was!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (21-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Mamasupial-
    My concern about not offering an alternative to basically starve your child into submission (let's face it that's what it is) is that this has zero chance on working on a FTT/petite child as they never reach that point iykwim? They can and will happily not eat well beyond the point of a "normal" child with a normal healthy appetite.

ETA: I also know this through personal experience going much of my childhood without dinner, as I did not like most foods, mum battled me every night for years and it did not change things one iota.
    :/ ok I definitely don't want to be doing that. I feel bad that I lost my cool tonight. Usually I'm really patient and keep offering her things til she eats something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    :/ ok I definitely don't want to be doing that. I feel bad that I lost my cool tonight. Usually I'm really patient and keep offering her things til she eats something.
    Don't feel bad!
    I've done it too, many times, out of desperation.
    You're trying to help your dd. I get that! I still often question if I'm doing the right thing. I feel so neglectful that she won't eat properly.

It is SOO incredibly infuriating and worrying and stressful.

We need to remind ourselves at times
    IT'S NOT OUR FAULT.
    WE ARE NOT BAD PARENTS.

Until you have an extremely fussy eater, it's so easy to judge and impossible to understand. There is no easy fix and requires as pp said an amazing amount of patience.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

flowers21  (21-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (21-12-2016),Mamasupial  (21-12-2016),TheGooch  (21-12-2016),Tiny Dancer  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 6-year-old Prep boy is always hungry at dinner, and asks me as soon as I pick him up from school at 3.30pm, "What's for dinner, Mum?". So I generally feed them at 4.45pm.

My 3-year-old daughter generally "plays" with her dinner/throws it around/whinges until I get thoroughly irritated, and take her up to the bath (usually screaming) whilst my son finshes his tea. It's exhausting.

But I have stopped caring about whether she eats her dinner. Like other posters have said, she's too tired by dinner, and her "3-year-old-ness" is in full force. However, she eats constantly from about 9.30am until 2pm. Your usual "little kid stuff"; fruit, sandwiches, yoghurt, cheese, salad, etc. And whenever I'm not looking, she raids the the pantry for the chocolate bikkies.

I used to get really annoyed and discouraged when I was scraping the dinner I had bothered to make in the bin EVERY night. Now, I keep some aside for my hubby, and give the rest to our puppy! I'm trying to be more "zen" about it

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest u work with a speech or OT. Does she have any sensory issues going on?

There is some fantastic eating programs. I have worked with DS WITH them. Made a huge difference.

Ds went from eating milk to nearly 25 different things!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I suggest u work with a speech or OT. Does she have any sensory issues going on?

There is some fantastic eating programs. I have worked with DS WITH them. Made a huge difference.

Ds went from eating milk to nearly 25 different things!!
    Yea we have previously seen speech and OT. There are sensory issues that we are working through.