ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    I might get flamed for this but in my experience dinner is overrated and the least important meal of the day for a toddler, mainly due to tiredness and being over it by then. I up the protein and trying new things at brekky and lunch followed by a huge meal at about 4pm. Dinner i dont fight the battle. Ps i don't have a fussy eater, just 3 who are often too tired for a big dinner. That was just my experience when they were toddlers.
    I completely agree with this. I have a very happy but active toddler and from 4:30pm everyday she is done (even if she gets up from a 3hr nap at 3pm some days!).
    I have also reminded myself sometimes not to focus on one meal but intake over a day/week. I still know my dd doesn't eat enough veg and eats too much pasta but can't win everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My toddler uses food as s power thing too...he's generally a good eater though. When he went through a fussy stage my mum suggested feeding him earlier and we have a lot of success when we make this work (sometimes we sit down at 4.45 with him!) I stopped doing alternative meals for him when he was around 2. He ate a wide variety of foods but it needed to be "bowl food" (soft enough, all together, eat it with a spoon etc.) which wasn't going to work for us as a family long term. If he's having a bad day I will occasionally offer a sandwich or banana but it's more the exception than the rule

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 was a fussy eater but not anymore. He would eat anything at childcare but be fussy with me so in the end I changed the meals names around and displayed them for him looking fun and be started eating. Stir fry I had to place each item on a plate seperately and not touching and no sauce now he will eat a massive bowl full all mixed together with the sauce

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DD1 will turn 4 early next year. She is a very very fussy eater and has always been that way. It's my main struggle with her and honestly at times it does my head in. I've said so many times in the past that I'm going to stop cooking special meals for her but I always end up starting again.

A couple of weeks ago I just couldn't go on. I was cooking meals based on her likes only and in the end she wouldn't even eat the stuff I was making specifically for her. I said no more. I've started cooking one meal that will appeal to DH and I, she can eat or not, if she refuses she doesn't get anything else. We've had melt downs and tantrums but to be honest that's not much different to before when I was cooking things I thought she would like.

I really don't know what the answer is. She won't eat anything at daycare. I send a lunch box and most of it comes back. She fights at breakfast, lunch and dinner and begs for snacks and junk food all day long.

Don't feel bad OP. Until someone has to deal with this type of fussy eater they can't understand just how frustrating it can be.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (20-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yep.. Even when u give her a plate with a variety of things that she likes and things she won't try she can still refuse everything.

Tonight it's not like she wasn't hungry. She told me she was hungry as soon as she got home and wanted to get in her highchair.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never offered an alternative with my first. She had was was served; nothing (except milk) until the next meal/snack from 6 months.

My youngest is way fussier. He's 18 months and we offered limited alternatives up until a couple of months ago. These days he eats what we have, or gets offered some frozen peas on occasion (both our kids love these!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Alternative dinners

I cook seperate meals.
    Well, not really cook but make her cheese spread cruskits or mac n cheese or toast.
    F..k it.
    I'm sick of trying to get her to eat anything else.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (21-12-2016),gingermillie  (20-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (21-12-2016),VicPark  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ds1 is 3 in feb and I've never really offered an alternative. He goes through fussy phases or phases where he just doesn't seem that hungry and the only time I will make something else is when I know I was taking a risk with the original meal I served (i.e. Something completely new or does actually look pretty gross). He usually seems to respond well to me saying he doesn't have to eat something, just has to try it. When he says he doesn't like something I say 'that's fine, just put it on the side.' Definitely the less of a deal I make the more likely he is to eat. There is always an article that pops up on my FB about dinnertime battles that I'll try to find you. I definitely imagine my attitude regarding alternative meals would be different if I worried about his weight. My attitude generally though, within reason, is that all I can do is offer the food, I can't make them eat it. He does always have Greek yogurt with mashed banana after dinner regardless of how he eats so that I don't worry about him being hungry. That is normally 'dessert' but sometimes I dangle a proper treat as a dinner bribe if we are really struggling with each other.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never offered alternatives unless it's something I know they really dont like (like tacos, I love tacos dd hates them)
    But although my dd is fussy she eats good during the day so I often look over what they have eaten for the day rather than what they just eat at dinner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OP, what does she eat for breakfast? As other pp,s have said some kids just are not big dinner eaters, especially as toddlers as they prefer to graze so if you could make her eggs for brekky ( even better if she would eat them with herbs and capsicum or tomato in it!) and a variety at lunch with any proteins, cheese or yogurt for afternoon tea and even fruit or avocado toast for dinner she's still getting what she needs