ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Alternative dinners

If you had/have a fussy eater, at what age did you stop offering alternatives for your child to eat.

I have previously been offering DD1 dinner as well as things I know she likes. Tonight she refused to even try her dinner and I'm at my limit (on more than one thing). So I said that was it. Nothing else to eat unless she ate her dinner. She's upset and I feel like a terrible parent.

(She's 2)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been wondering this too.
    DS won't eat any meat other than fish or something made with mince so I regularly cook him something and then whatever we're having.
    Sometimes he won't eat anything.

Is your DD at daycare @Mamasupial ? I asked daycare how he eats there and apparently he eats everything! Apparently he loves chicken stir fry! Yet at home if a piece of chicken gets in his mouth he fishes it out!
    So I'm not sure.
    I'll be interested to see what others say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never made alternate dinners. Eat what's being served up, or don't eat. I do make sure that I'm not expecting too much, my son doesn't like cooked carrot, so I keep some out for him to have raw with his dinner ect. But from 6 months, when they start eating, it's just whatever we're having.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    She apparently eats well at childcare.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (20-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We had weight issues and failure to thrive which is why I always offered alternatives.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (20-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-12-2016),TheGooch  (20-12-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Childcare did suggest to me that with all the food they have, DS may just not be hungry at dinner time. I'm our case that might be true sometimes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    Childcare did suggest to me that with all the food they have, DS may just not be hungry at dinner time. I'm our case that might be true sometimes
    Yea... Though it doesn't matter if it's a childcare day or not here. Still the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't do alternative meals but also didn't have failure to thrive/weight issues so I think that makes a big difference. Can you offer alternatives to your DD until her weight is stable within an appropriate range and then stop slowly - like only every second night make an alternative? Just to start and set the scene for future years but no to take away the option if her weight dictates the need.

In our situation DD was using food as power - she had no allergies, no weight issues, just flat out being fussy. At 4 we took her to the paediatrician who said just put enough on her plate that was appropriate for her age and only a bit size piece of things she didn't like. She had to eat the bit size though to get anything else. She's still fussy but not as painful as before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might get flamed for this but in my experience dinner is overrated and the least important meal of the day for a toddler, mainly due to tiredness and being over it by then. I up the protein and trying new things at brekky and lunch followed by a huge meal at about 4pm. Dinner i dont fight the battle. Ps i don't have a fussy eater, just 3 who are often too tired for a big dinner. That was just my experience when they were toddlers.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-12-2016),binnielici  (21-12-2016),brodiesmummy2011  (20-12-2016),DT75  (21-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-12-2016),Mad84  (20-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 17 months and she is not hugely fussy but fussy enough. She loves pasta in any form though so I keep my freezer stocked with home made pasta meals for her and I just take one out and give that to her if i am cooking something she won't eat. At this age I would rather give her something I know she likes than risk her waking up during the night due to hunger. Her palate is still developing and she has come a loooong way in the past 6 months. I don't force anything I just keep offering again and again.
    The only things that she will eat with us are:
    Pasta (we eat pasta maybe once a fortnight max)
    Homemade hamburgers (she will eat a rissole and some grated cheese and egg but no salad)
    Omelette
    Quiche
    Chicken (Maryland or drumstick or BBQ chicken but won't eat veg or salad with it)
    She only eats vegetables in things (in pasta, veggie fritters etc), doesn't like bread, doesn't like fish. She loves pasta and baked beans and will eat meat, crackers, fruit, cheese, egg, weetbix and yoghurt. I work with that and just constantly keep offering new things.
    If she is having one of her frozen pasta meals for dinner and we are having a curry or a salad or fish and veg I always offer her some of our dinner to try too. It's not a hardship for us at this stage. It would be more of a pain though if I had to make something from scratch each night.
    I understand your frustration. DD has made my blood boil on occasion when she refuses to even try food and throws it on the floor. That's partly why i give her food that I know she likes rather than saying like it or lump it as I get less stressed, she eats and it's a happy medium I guess