ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm another who isn't sure how to answer this question. I guess I would say yes, because I wouldn't go back and change it. @Little Miss Sunshine said it pretty well actually.

But I do struggle with the whole idea of "best thing I've ever done" being aligned with the day to day blah - especially when it's been a bad day.

Apparently there is a study somewhere that said overall people without kids are generally happier. It said something along the lines of parents are actually happier when they are away from their kids (I think it meant in the short term, like on a date night, out with friends, etc), but people with kids found their life to be more fulfilling.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I too struggle to answer this. So I asked DH! And he said no. So I said what IS the best thing you've ever done? And he said marrying me he said without that there'd be nothing. What a sweetheart. He also said the second best thing he did was move to Australia so I don't know where dd sits on his ranking of best things he's ever done haha.
    For me I wouldn't go back and not have dd. I love her to bits. I adore her completely. But it's hard work. I think I'm essentially a selfish person so it's tough being completely available to a small child 24/7. She has changed my life completely. Some for the better and some for the worse but I wouldn't not have her if I had my time over again. I do know people who say that if they knew it would be like this they wouldn't have had kids and that's ok too.
    I think in the scheme of my life and the things I have done having a child is incomparable to anything else. It's just in a different league. I do think in parallel to my DH that meeting and marrying him is the best thing I've done and having dd is an extension of that so in a way she is part of the best thing I've done. I'm glad we have her but we won't be having another

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016),besha  (18-12-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Defiantly the best thing I did was have kids

I felt a huge sense of achievement growing and birthing my babies. Hands down the best thing I ever did or will do in life was create 2 awesome human beings ! Sure it was hard work , lots of tears and sleepless nights but watching them grow, learn and turn into adults makes all that seem insignificant !

I truly understand how hard , lonely , isolating , frustrating, tiring etc motherhood can be but yes it was the best thing I've ever done !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (19-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wonder if my answer being yes having DS by far is the best thing I've ever done because I had him older (39) , I've travelled, gotten married (twice!) started a business , bought property, had tons of parties and have lots of "stuff" and plenty of life experience so feel like I've done everything as such but then after having DS all of that seems irrelevant as if he was now my purpose in life? Maybe also as so far he's been an "easy child" and only having 1 with tons of family baby sitting opportunities it's easier - I know my SIL who had her babies younger (22) regrets not traveling and blames having them for that and not having saved more money?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel the same as Elijah's Mum about having a baby older. By the time I was ready to have kids I was mid-late 30's and had lived a pretty full-on life at that point. I don't know if I would quantify it as being the 'best' thing I have done, but as an addition to my life now, it has certainly been the most enriching thing I have done. I feel like he is the cherry on my cake that makes my life complete and I can't wait to enjoy spending my later years watching him grow.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discuss: is having kids the best thing you've ever done?

Yes, having DD is the best thing I've ever done. Is it the most enjoyable? Um, no. Not always! But I feel having her made me into who I needed to be. I needed a big reality check, I needed to grow up and I needed to learn how to trust myself and make my own decisions. At first I thought I'd made a massive mistake - I was in a bad relationship and well & truly had the wool firmly pulled over my own eyes in regards to that. He took off straight away (well, after I found out he was cheating) and I felt so guilty for getting pregnant to him. I knew he was no good but I naively thought/told myself having a baby would change things. Then there I was, with this beautiful child who I now had to one day explain to why she didn't have a daddy.

Then I sort of got over myself and got on with it. No more bad decisions. No more kidding myself. Just get on with it! And that's pretty much been my attitude ever since - mostly! She's chilled me out big time and shown me the importance of being true to myself. She's changed my entire life for the better

Except when she refuses to get dressed in the morning. That's getting really old!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016),EmmaJane75  (19-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having children has been the best thing I have ever done in terms of personal growth. I am the opposite to Elijah's mum, though. I was a young mum and I don't feel like I've missed out. The opposite actually. I'll be done raising kids in my very early 40's and feel like I have so much of my life still to look forward to, plus I get to experience lots of things for the first time with my kids and I love that.
    Having kids is the hardest thing I've done, and in terms of measuring it up with other aspects of my life, I don't think anything can compare...kids are in a league of their own. But I would say one of the best. I don't like to label one thing as the best ever, because I love life and want to continue to have 'best moments.' It's like when people say their wedding day was the best day of their life...I don't say that. It was a great day, but I've had so many great days in my life and look forward to many more. I don't want to have just one 'best.' I'm greedy, I want lots of 'bests.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is. The hardest and best thing.

Going through IVF to have them was the hardest thing I've ever done, along with recurrent miscarriages. The day to day can be super hard, one of my kids is quite high needs, I still think Motherhood is the best thing I've ever done. I still pinch myself sometimes that i actually got to have kids.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Lillac  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discuss: is having kids the best thing you've ever done?

I think it is. I wouldn't change it for the world, but I find the day to day stuff absolutely exhausting and draining. My boys are high maintenance kids and it really takes its toll on me. I can't imagine any other life experience taking precedence over having three children and raising them, seeing them learn and grow though. I was a young mum, I got married at 19, had DD at 20.

So I do think it was the best thing ever, but to be honest I can't wait for my boys to grow up a little and for life to become easier.
    Last edited by just her chameleon; 18-12-2016 at 16:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm only two and half weeks in, but my son is the best thing in my life. I couldn't imagine my life without him and wouldn't change it for the world. I'm young too and don't feel like I'm missing out.