+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH picked the ring but I had showed his sister the style I liked. I would have been happy either way! I've since changed my ring, a diamond fell out of the original one which couldn't be repaired (I may have gone bigger and better the second time around ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH was going to get me a ring (if you read in the proposal thread that was kind of his proposal - calling me to ask my ring size as he was going ring shopping that day ). I asked if he could hold off and we could go together and we did that weekend and I picked a few different ones I liked and then he chose which one he wanted and it's perfect. It suits me much more than the one I was leaning towards!
    When DH and I got engaged/married (only 3 months between the 2 lol) he was 36 and up until meeting me when he was 34 had managed to get through his whole adult life and 2 long term relationships without buying a woman a piece of jewellery . So he had no idea about jewellery at all, didn't really know my taste in jewellery and who knows what he would have bought by himself. For something I am going to wear every day whilst I would have appreciated his effort and maybe he would have smashed it out of the park I am glad we went together! Didn't take any of the magic out of it for us at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When we were in Las Vegas we were looking in the new Canturi window and they had a beautiful diamond ring and I said wow I love that, then maybe a few months later the same ring was on the back of a vogue magazine and I said to my SIL that's my dream ring and DH is not the kinda a guy that takes hints easily but when he proposed he bought me the same ring so yes it was a total surprise but I sort of had showed him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DH chose my ring for me, and I love it! To me it's special that he took the time to go and find something that he thought I'd love.

We hadn't discussed marriage and I had no idea that he had bought an engagement ring. Then one day we were watching the block and 2 of the contestants got engaged. He wasn't watching the tv, but I commented on how awful I thought her ring was. He seemed very interested in what I didn't like about it. That's the first time I suspected a proposal was coming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was adamant about the style I wanted...and then DH picked something that was a bit more unique to what I had showed him, but still in keeping with what I want.
    DH and I had been together for almost 9 years before we got married, bought houses, had kids etc. It's not like it was a surprise that we were going to get married!
    But...DH ended up proposing spontaneously without a ring in our longeroom one night, so it didn't matter.
    I'm glad DH didn't just pick without any consultation. What he wanted is so very different to what I wanted and I would have been disappointed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I chose mine myself, but didn't think I'd get it as soon as I did - he proposed with it 2 weeks later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's generally terrible with gifts but he proposed with my ring and I couldn't love it more. I always wanted an art deco style and he got it absolutely right, I was super surprised!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We chose both of them together. Though, he did point out the one I ended up with first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't have a ring for a while, but really wanted on before our engagement party. DH was flat out at work, so I snuck off with my BFF and checked out a few jewellery shops at lunch, narrowed down what I liked and talked to him about it that night. We went back on the weekend to choose one. He liked one I wasn't so keen on, so luckily he let me have the design I liked more! We then chose a diamond and they made it up for us.

I picked it up once it was made, took it home and he left me hanging a few days before re-proposing and giving it to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH proposed with my ring. He did a good job of picking it out, it's pretty much exactly what I would have chosen myself...but I had dropped lots of hints about what I liked before that! But I loved that when he proposed it was all a total surprise - both the proposal itself and the ring of course I might think differently if I hated my ring!

A friend of mine and her boyfriend at the time designed and purchased her engagement ring, then he proposed a few weeks after they picked it up. To each their own I guess but that just takes all the excitement out for me when you know it's coming!