ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH picked the ring but I had showed his sister the style I liked. I would have been happy either way! I've since changed my ring, a diamond fell out of the original one which couldn't be repaired (I may have gone bigger and better the second time around ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH was going to get me a ring (if you read in the proposal thread that was kind of his proposal - calling me to ask my ring size as he was going ring shopping that day ). I asked if he could hold off and we could go together and we did that weekend and I picked a few different ones I liked and then he chose which one he wanted and it's perfect. It suits me much more than the one I was leaning towards!
    When DH and I got engaged/married (only 3 months between the 2 lol) he was 36 and up until meeting me when he was 34 had managed to get through his whole adult life and 2 long term relationships without buying a woman a piece of jewellery . So he had no idea about jewellery at all, didn't really know my taste in jewellery and who knows what he would have bought by himself. For something I am going to wear every day whilst I would have appreciated his effort and maybe he would have smashed it out of the park I am glad we went together! Didn't take any of the magic out of it for us at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When we were in Las Vegas we were looking in the new Canturi window and they had a beautiful diamond ring and I said wow I love that, then maybe a few months later the same ring was on the back of a vogue magazine and I said to my SIL that's my dream ring and DH is not the kinda a guy that takes hints easily but when he proposed he bought me the same ring so yes it was a total surprise but I sort of had showed him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DH chose my ring for me, and I love it! To me it's special that he took the time to go and find something that he thought I'd love.

We hadn't discussed marriage and I had no idea that he had bought an engagement ring. Then one day we were watching the block and 2 of the contestants got engaged. He wasn't watching the tv, but I commented on how awful I thought her ring was. He seemed very interested in what I didn't like about it. That's the first time I suspected a proposal was coming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was adamant about the style I wanted...and then DH picked something that was a bit more unique to what I had showed him, but still in keeping with what I want.
    DH and I had been together for almost 9 years before we got married, bought houses, had kids etc. It's not like it was a surprise that we were going to get married!
    But...DH ended up proposing spontaneously without a ring in our longeroom one night, so it didn't matter.
    I'm glad DH didn't just pick without any consultation. What he wanted is so very different to what I wanted and I would have been disappointed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I chose mine myself, but didn't think I'd get it as soon as I did - he proposed with it 2 weeks later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's generally terrible with gifts but he proposed with my ring and I couldn't love it more. I always wanted an art deco style and he got it absolutely right, I was super surprised!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We chose both of them together. Though, he did point out the one I ended up with first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a ring for a while, but really wanted on before our engagement party. DH was flat out at work, so I snuck off with my BFF and checked out a few jewellery shops at lunch, narrowed down what I liked and talked to him about it that night. We went back on the weekend to choose one. He liked one I wasn't so keen on, so luckily he let me have the design I liked more! We then chose a diamond and they made it up for us.

I picked it up once it was made, took it home and he left me hanging a few days before re-proposing and giving it to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH proposed with my ring. He did a good job of picking it out, it's pretty much exactly what I would have chosen myself...but I had dropped lots of hints about what I liked before that! But I loved that when he proposed it was all a total surprise - both the proposal itself and the ring of course I might think differently if I hated my ring!

A friend of mine and her boyfriend at the time designed and purchased her engagement ring, then he proposed a few weeks after they picked it up. To each their own I guess but that just takes all the excitement out for me when you know it's coming!