+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off: engagement ring surprise or choose it yourself?

The engagement thread got me thinking again about why women want to choose their own ring and not have their fiancée choose it?

I can understand wanting to love your ring, but to me the surprise of seeing what DH did very well to have made gave his proposal an extra special edge. I feel it would have only felt like half an engagement to not get my eventual ring.

So did you get / want a surprise and have DF choose the ring, or did you / do you want to choose it yourself and why?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well I didn't get the choice to choose or have a surprise as DF proposed with a ring he chose. I would have been happy to pick too. I guess if he had bad taste I would have preferred to pick it myself. I love my ring though and don't think I could have picked a nicer one. In general DF has much better taste in clothes, shoes, jewellery etc than me!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I had downloaded the Tiffany's engagement ring app and picked out a favourite, but DH had no idea. The ring he gave me was actually very similar, so I think he just knows me so well. He bought the diamond separately (can't remember the country now, want to say Iran but I'm probably wrong), and then had the ring made from a design he liked. I get many compliments on the ring as the diamond is so sparkly. It's not quite a perfect diamond, but it is pretty close to that end of the scale. I couldn't have chosen a better ring myself.

ETA: I don't get the whole choosing your own ring then waiting to be proposed to with it. I mean I was expecting DH to propose to me at some point, but it was really special when he did because I really wasn't expecting it on that night. FWIW he'd had the ring for a year before he proposed . I'm glad I found that out after the fact! He was just so sick of people hassling him to propose that he waited it out until people left him alone.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 18-12-2016 at 08:50.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

DH knew I liked white gold and a princess cut. He secretly designed and made a ring based on that and it's perfect! I haven't seen another that I like better and I've had it for 8 years now. I loved getting proposed to with a ring personally, rather than choosing one after the event.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We picked it together after DH proposed. DH did not know what to get (other than I did not want a diamond). We liked going together to look. For us it just worked.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually won my engagement ring!
    I gave it to DF and told him to propose when he was ready. About 6 months later he proposed.
    I adore the ring but I don't actually wear it. It scratches DD all the time so I wear a beautiful ring my 92 year old grandmother passed down to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a control freak! The thought of DH choosing something I would wear every day for the rest of my life freaked me out and he knew it.
    He bought a cute cheap ring on our holiday in Bali & proposed with that. We then went shopping for the ring and chose it together. It was lovely going ring shopping together.
    One advantage of going together was that we discussed a budget together rather than him going out thinking he had to spend x amount on the ring, we negotiated a sensible amount.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016),AdornedWithCats  (18-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (18-12-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We chose it together after he proposed. There is no way I would have wanted dh to choose it, he would have got something not my style. Actually, to this day he still doesn't understand my style/preferences when it comes to jewellery.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 18-12-2016 at 09:02.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016),rosey82  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got it made to the design I wanted.
    We're not particularly traditional, and DO organizing a ring and a proposal would never have worked for us.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    One advantage of going together was that we discussed a budget together rather than him going out thinking he had to spend x amount on the ring, we negotiated a sensible amount.
    ^^This so much!

Dh if left alone would have gotten something very impractical and would think I wanted something expensive. But because we went ring shopping together I got to pick out something practical so i can wear it everyday, and not too expensive so I don't have to stress about it getting damaged (I would feel like I couldn't wear something expensive everyday). Plus my style is more subtle/delicate.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-12-2016)