ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Advice from those living in Brisbane

What is Manly, Wynnum etc. like to live in, how are the schools and what length of commute to get to the CBD?
    I have googled, but get mixed results between them being great family friendly suburbs with great public schools, to the complete opposite...bit none of it is recent information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those are nice family suburbs. West Wynnum used to have a bit of a bad reputation but I think that's changed. I'm not sure what the about schools are like there. The commute to the CBD if driving would be a bit of a pain, distance wise it's not that far but there are no motorways/freeways linking it and the traffic is a bit crap. Both suburbs are on the train line though so public transport would be easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't give a first hand account of exactly what it is like now because I rarely venture into that area.

I grew up in Brisbane and have a certain bias and preconceived notion of what it may be like. I'm not overly keen on that area because of the heavy industry in the district - eg the BP oil refinery springs to mind - although google tells me that it was scheduled to cease operations in 2015.

I used to work with someone who lived in Cleveland who spoke about Wynnum / Manly in terms of what it is like in my mind - the complete opposite of somewhere you would want to raise a family. By that she meant there are pockets of poverty. I'm not sure she actually meant the actual suburbs of Wynnum and Manly or the surrounds.

In terms of commute to the CBD - not sure.

Link to train timetable is here:
    https://www.queenslandrail.com.au/Cu...elandline.aspx

By car, I always get lost. From memory, about half an hour or so to the CBD by road at night, not using the Gateway Bridge (toll road). Not sure how long in peak hour traffic.

ETA looking at the train timetable, about 45 minutes from Wynnum to Central station.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 18-12-2016 at 09:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following on from what SSS said, the suburbs sounding Manley and Wynnum don't have a great reputation. (I hate saying that though because someone will pipe up to say there live there and it's great - I'm just basing that on general reputation, not necessarily actuals!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are parts that are very family friendly, nice homes and neighbours; then there is still a rough element.
    I have friends that live out there ( in good area) but won't be sending their kids to the state schools

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. It's hard trying to work out where to move to. I was hoping we were on a winner...but sounds like it's not the best. I am finding it really hard to cope with the idea of moving away from the water. We were in Brisbane a few months ago and I am not in love with living the city life...was hoping Wynnum would be a bit of a middle ground

Thanks
    Reviews
    How far out do you want to go? Redlands have some great schools, and family friendly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you seen the beaches in Brisbane? Unfortunately they suck to be blunt. In other parts of Australia living near the water is fantastic, in Brisbane it's 'meh'.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (18-12-2016),Night Owl  (18-12-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH wants to live really close to the city...I want him to consider commuting from GC because I will struggle big time being away from water. I know there are swimming pools, but I much prefer natural bodies of water, and currently we live 5 minutes drive from the beach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you're near the esplanade at Wynnum/Manly there it's actually quite pretty. There's a big park and playground, plus they have a tidal pool that is very popular. The actual waterfront is more coarse sand/mudflats though going out to the bay, so not ideal for swimming. But there's a walkway along the water front that goes from Wynnum through to Lota. It's roughly 5km and is always popular with walkers/joggers/families etc. There is also a great community spirit and they have markets and a very popular Halloween parade every year. Close to the esplanade there are also some lovely little restaurants and cafes to eat at.

Like any area of Brisbane, there are pockets that are dodgy as. DH bought a car from a car yard in Wynnum and we went up to the bank to get a cheque to pay for it, and we were definitely in the dodgy area! Depending on your budget, if you were looking around the esplanade kind of area, you'd be fine. A friend lives in Wynnum West and she's had no issues - been there 10 years or so now.

I don't live in Wynnum/Manly but I'm about 15min away from the waterfront down Wynnum Rd. I've never been worried about my car being stolen etc when I've parked it at one end near the jetty and walked/ran up to Lota and back. I've also never been concerned for my safety doing that in the evening/night as there are so many people around that it's actually quite safe.