+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Braxton hicks - what's normal?

I'm 25 and a half weeks pregnant, and over the last week I've been having more and more regular BH contractions. I've had them on and off since maybe 15 or 16 weeks, but the last week or so I have been getting loads of them whenever I do any activity heavier than a gentle stroll.

Yesterday at work we had an exceptionally busy period of about 1 hour, and I had BH about every 5 minutes for the duration of that hour - it was almost nonstop! I ended up having to ignore the people waiting and went and sat in the office with a bottle of water for ten minutes. They stopped after that.

They don't hurt or anything, and I know they're normal, but it just scared me when they got more regular and perhaps a touch stronger with the more activity I did.

I didn't want to be annoying phoning the hospital about stuff that is completely normal, and they did stop after I rested and drank water, but I just wanted to know whether this was pretty normal, to save me worrying if it happens again.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Everyone's 'normal' is different. It isn't too worrying of it stops when you rest/change position/have a drink.

Make sure you are hydrated as they can get worse when dehydrated.

Let your ob/midwife know about them when you go next.

If they do not stop when resting or if they become painful with a regular pattern then let your ob/midwife/dr know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Make sure you are hydrated as they can get worse when dehydrated.
    Thank you, I didn't know this!! I hadn't had time to drink much water yesterday, so perhaps that explains it.

I'll keep a water bottle with me today and hopefully it won't happen again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's no such thing as being annoying when you're concerned. I had bh from around 20 weeks and never thought anything of them, then one day when I was 34 weeks they seemed to come really often, not regularly, but often and occasionally they were enough to make me go "oooh" but I wouldn't have called them painful (and I had heard they got quite uncomfortable towards the end). They came often enough that I started timing them out of curiosity, and like I said they were no where near regular - 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 15 minutes, literally all over the place. So I continued to ignore them, until my water broke 😁

DD came that night. So what I'm babbling on about, if you're concerned speak to your hospital. It's what they're there for.