+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could probably drive in early labour, but risk the hospital telling you to go home and come back later.

I was in no fit state to drive to the hospital in any of my labours. I was in so much pain, I couldn't talk and every bump and twist and turn in the road compounded the pain.

As others have said, I would be looking at taxis or an ambulance if you are in advanced labour.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 18-12-2016 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd go with taxi or ambulance.
    With both of my kids, I've been driven to hospital. Once in an ambulance and once by my partner. Definitely don't plan on driving yourself!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep agreed

If you have family nearby - perhaps having one of them 'on call' in the last weeks - just so that you know where they are kind of thing.

Then if they are close, they can drive you - and if not, taxi ... and if not, ambulance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with most people above. Driving yourself is just not safe. And yes I have seen people who have had car accident on their way to hospital in labour (mostly because the partner who is driving is not concentrating so you can only imagine the risk if it was the actual woman driving!) and it really is a very scary thing to care for a person in labour who has just has a stomach injury.
    Just have a very clear conversation with your friends or family. Ask who is available when you are about 37-41 weeks pregnant and make a plan of who you can call and when. I'm sure they would be happy to help. Make a plan with them now so you dont have to stress about it.
    Get your partner to practise installing the car seat in and out of the car a few times and that way you have options after baby is born to use your car, a taxi or a friends car.
    Also do you have ambulance cover in your health insurance? If not please get some kind of ambulance insurance. Just in case.
    Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting to and from the hospital...a dilemma!!

I personally wouldn't.
    My first labour took forever and could have then but was in a state of omg what's about to happen.
    My second Bub just gone we where lucky to make it to the door my labour went so fast and we are max 10 mins away
    Last edited by 2ndchancesuprise; 22-12-2016 at 14:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only labour I could have driven with was my third when my waters broke and the contractions hadn't really started yet, however by the time we got to the hospital they were quite painful so there was only a small window. Besides that i don't think I would have been the best driver due to nerves etc. My other three labours I could not have driven.
    As for driving home, I stayed 1 night for three times and two nights the other time. I had all vaginal births. I could not have driven home safely anytime of these times because I was weak, dizzy and shakey just from the labour/delivery/blood lose.
    I agree with the taxi/family suggestion!