+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting to and from the hospital...a dilemma!!

So, I am due with first baby in February however my partner doesn't drive. I am starting to panic about how I am going to get the hospital when the time comes. I am hoping I will still be in a decent enough state that I will be able to drive myself to the hospital...is that practical?!!

I do have family who live close by who could take us if need be, but i am also wondering about getting home as the baby seat will obviously be installed in my car...

I presume I will stay in hospital for a couple of days so partner might have to get a taxi to and from hospital...

Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It will probably depend on what type of labour you have. My waters broke and then contractions started straight away strongly, I would have struggled to drive myself. It would have been ok between contractions but not during. So I think you would need to have your family nearby on standby to help you. I guess getting home again will depend on what type of birth you have, you could just pop the car seat in their car for the trip home? They're pretty easy to get in & out now so shouldn't be too much trouble.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't want to bet on being able to drive myself.
    I think if you can organise for family to be on call that would be best.
    And maybe once you know how long you're likely to stay in hospital, if you have two family members who can drive, they could bring your car to the hospital and leave it there for you.
    Your partner could get taxis to and from hospital or public transport if that's an option. Otherwise get a ride with others who might visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't drive yourself, I have been in labour twice both times I was in lots of pain and can't even remember the drive when I went in!!!
    I would make a formal arrangement with your family, put the car seat in their car? Or arrange for them to drive your car!! If you end up having a c-section you won't be able to drive for 6 weeks!!
    If you have a natural normal no complication birth you can be out of the hospital in as little as four hours! I was with both of mine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How far is it to the hospital?

Also, are you public? If so with a straightforward birth you may only stay a few hours/overnight after birth if comfortable.

Is there a hotel nearby? Your partner could stay there. Or if private some allow partners to stay as well.

I would get family/close friend to drive in. They can also drive you home in your car.

Finally - if there is public transport your partner can always catch transport to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've driven in labour before. I wouldnt recommend it. It was stupid on my part but I wasnt thinking (was in labour out and about and wanted to get home).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't count on driving home from the hospital tbh. Even if you have a vaginal birth, I felt really spacey (a mixture of hormones, tiredness and just overall physical exhaustion) coming home from the hospital with all of my babies - I definitely wouldn't have wanted to drive. I think it would be best to get a family member to drive you home (in your car) too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We didn't own a car yet when we had ds1 (had just moved to London). We took a taxi to hospital (and home with the car seat). Most people end up taking taxis as many hospitals in London don't have parking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get out of your mind now the idea of driving. Not an option. Call a taxi or if you have complete sudden onset call an ambulance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, I agree with the others, do not plan on driving anywhere when you're in labour..
    in my case, labour progressed really quickly, by the time I realised I was in labour, and felt like I needed to be in the hospital, my dd1 was on her way. The trip to hospital, I was a passenger in the car, that was horrific. It is so hard to sit down when your baby is on its way. Your body tells you to stay upright and stay moving through contractions, you can't do that when you're sitting in a car! Let alone drive a car!