+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 month old grizzling and waking multiple times a night

Hi everyone,

My 7 month old son has slept through the night from 13 weeks old but in the last two weeks has started grizzling and waking multiple times a night! Sometimes he doesn't open his eyes, just makes lots of noise and sometimes he starts babbling and sometime he just grizzles very loudly. It's really strange considering he has been an amazing sleeper for so long. We were wondering if it's the sleep regression? Has any one else had any experience with this? He does go to sleep with a dummy but normally spits it out shortly after falling asleep and doesn't need it again for the rest of the night.. at the moment the only thing soothing his when he has these night wakings is either the dummy or hoping into bed with me (which I don't do often because I don't want to start a habit or reward the grizzling). Any experience with the sleep regression or similar situations would be helpful.

I should add that he is still in our room next to our bed in the cot. I don't feel comfortable enough to put him in his own room yet.

Thanks heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Could be a variety of things impacting:
    - dummy (notorious for causing night wakings especially after night cycles develop at approx 4 months). Can you replace with a cloth comforter?
    - falling asleep (if bub is aided to sleep eg with patting or rocking bub is more likely to wake through the night)
    - hunger - bub on solids yet? Meat/protein?
    - temperature - too warm/too cold? Thermostat controlled heater or cooler in use?

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (18-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. He does have a dummy I just find it strange how it hasn't ever been an issue, meaning he's never needed again during the night. I might get him off it anyway and replace with a cloth comforter just in case.

He self settles and has done since very early on and yes he is on solids and eats A LOT lol he's definitely not hungry.

I've always been a stickler for room temperatures and checking his chest and back. I monitor like crazy and don't think it's that.

I've been over all the normal/ general things it could be and can't put my finger on anything. That's why I was thinking sleep regression. He's always been a month ahead in development so it could be the "8 month sleep regression". The only other thing I can think of is seperation anxiety. My mchn said that it can start at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has been the same, he is 7 months and teething and has woken lots lately. Hopefully it settles again when his teeth break through. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe teeth, perhaps try some pain relief for just one night to see if that helps, or recently my DS started waking so I added an extra pair of socks and that helped heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Night cycles kicking in at 4/5 months could explain why the dummy has only recently started being a problem.

Do you have a thermometer (gro-egg) in your bedroom? Temperature business can be quiet tricky especially with changes through the night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I have a gro-egg next to the bed, I monitor like crazy. He has been teething since 4 months and has cut 2 teeth. He generally dribbles like crazy when he is teething and he hasn't been dribbling at all these past couple of weeks. I'm fair certain it's just him developing. I did lots of research yesterday and last night and everything fits with the sleep regression or "developmental leap" for his age. When I look back he has done so many new things this week - saying mum, commando crawling, sitting up... its been crazy! Hopefully it settles soon. Thanks for everyone's help and answers.