+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Leaking ceiling in investment property

Hi all, I'm hoping some savvy investment property owners or property managers can give me some advice..

Our tenant called us this morning about a leaking ceiling in our apartment. The apartment directly above is actually also one of ours, so we contacted that tenant above and it turns out they accidentally left a tap running and it overflowed onto the floor and leaked through to the ceiling of the unit below.

I guess this isn't a plumbing issue since there are no leaking pipes.. It's just the water on the floor drained right through to the apartment below.

Who is responsible to pay for the damage now and how do we even resolve this? We aren't very "handy" when it comes to fixing things. I guess the ceiling will just dry out and then we need to get it re-plastered or something?

It's an old Art Deco building and we don't use a property manager. The tenant in the apartment above has only just moved in recently.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way I would be paying for that. If my tenant cause damage like that then they would be paying for it. I would be getting a few quotes and giving them to the tenant responsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would contact your insurance company to see if it's covered and have the upstairs tenant pay the excess.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-12-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (17-12-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In my opinion, your tenant who left the tap on is responsible for the damage, even though it was an accident.
    Their negligence led to the damage.
    I wouldn't just hope the ceiling will dry out. I'd get a professional in to assess for any damage you may not be able to see, especially if there is any electricity in the ceiling.
    You could claim the damage on your insurance. But I'm not sure, the insurance company might demand you seek costs from the tenant.
    I'd get someone in to assess the situation to make sure it's safe and also to quote any repairs and then you can decide from there how to proceed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Leaking ceiling in investment property

Their lease clearly states if they or anyone visiting them causes any damage they need to contact you ASAP and repair the damage themselves if they are at fault so yes I would stipulate they have breeched the agreement by not contacting you ASAP and that you will get quotes done to see the cost of repairs ( strata will have to be notified as the water may have caused damage to the building ) then check your landlord insurance which should cover you for tenant accidents and then get the tenant to agree to the excess ( which should be cheaper than getting it repaired)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies! What kind of trades people would you call out for this sort of thing? Electrician? Builder?