+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Those with 5 or 6 kids...

What is it like?

I have 4 kids now.. 12, 9, 7 and 2 and a half.

Partner and i want to have one or two more within the next year or two.

We already have an 8 seater car so that wouldnt need to change.

We have a three bedroom home. The girls share one room and the boys share the other though the youngest co-sleeps anyway.

We are planning on getting an extension with 3 or 4 extra bedrooms too, although my kids like sleeping together most nights anyway (when they're teenagers it might be different though).

Any pros and cons? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crazy, expensive, hectic.....and I wouldn't want it any other way! I have 5 boys 13, 9, 7, 4 and 9 months. They certainly have their 'moments' but the good far outweighs the bad for us.

The older they get the more expensive it gets but we knew that would happen. The issues that come with having 5 haven't been all that different to having 4 for us. Definitely sounds like you need a bigger house. One sanity saver for us is having 2 seperate living areas. The kids can be crazy, noisy, play xbox etc in one and the other is a quite and chilled zone. Much needed!

The older 2 boys are so helpful when they need to be and it certainly makes things easier for me, especially when my Husband is working nights.

One thing that sometimes bothers me (and I am working on not letting it!) Is everything seems to think they can give you there opinion or comment on your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes so true about the unwanted comments. At the end of the day its nobodys business though as long as kids are being looked after properly and not neglected or abused who cares how many you have.
    The extra lounge area would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having all boys i bet you get people saying "i bet you wish for a girl " my dad has 4 girls (two to my mum and two to his now ex) and he always got people saying "i bet you wish you had a son" grrrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. We are currently trying for number four but definitely want at least 5. Our currently three are 1,2,4 and we had 3 under 3 for a while. It is crazy, full on but we love it.

I come from a family of eleven kids ( 6 boys, 5 girls) I loved growing up with lots of siblings. Sure we did fight and annoy each other but we also had lots of fun.
    I always shared a room while growing up and loved it.

My mum thinks nice you reach 4, it not too different to have more. Your busy already and unless you have a lot of multiple you older ones should be able to help out a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have friends with 10 (soon to be 11) kids and i am one of 6 myself. I also know a family with 19 kids including a set of quads and two sets of twins. 😮

I will stop at 6. We only have an 8 seater car lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    Having all boys i bet you get people saying "i bet you wish for a girl " my dad has 4 girls (two to my mum and two to his now ex) and he always got people saying "i bet you wish you had a son" grrrrr
    All the time. Makes me sad as it is as if theh are saying all boys isn't good enough or thatcI would be unhappy with the fact that I don't have a girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    We have friends with 10 (soon to be 11) kids and i am one of 6 myself. I also know a family with 19 kids including a set of quads and two sets of twins.

I will stop at 6. We only have an 8 seater car lol
    What type of car do they have for 19

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Growing up, we were friends with a family with 16 kids. There was something like 25 or 30 years age difference between the eldest and youngest. The eldest kids had already moved out of home when the younger ones hadn't even been born yet. The older kids help out with caring for the middle ones, mum took care of the babies. The older ones had cars to drive others to and from sporting commitments and the like.
    That's how huge families make it work. More of a team effort..
    I'm pretty sure they drove a mini bus, but I can't remember for certain.