+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Selling your house privately...

WWYD?

so we are 99% sure we are moving.

Plan was to put the house on the market in spring and with a 12 week settlement be moved out by the time school starts in 2018.

Obviously we would be hiring someone to make the house look as amazing as it can. We've already started doing a few things to get it ready for selling.

I estimate we would spend $20k on decorating and hiring professional to help. I am
    hopeless at that sort of stuff. Then there's real estate fees (probably about $30k) plus photography, advertising and any other costs I'm leaving out.

I am aware agents can get a better price but I know someone who would buy our house directly from us as it is for $1.3million. I don't think we would get much more than that using an agent and then we'd have to pay all the fees...

WWYD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea about this sort of thing, but maybe try sell privately first then if there's no result use an agent. We are currently selling some farming land privately to a neighbour and wonder why people spend money on agents when it's able to be done by people like me with absolutely no idea..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the person you know was definetly going to buy your house for that price I would just go privately.
    A few houses around us are selling privately one thing I would recommend is good photos!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If the offer is legitimate and you know the market well enough to know you're not likely to get much more than that through an agent, then I'd sell privately.
    There's also a website - buy my place, that one family I know used and sold quite easily. I think they paid about $1500 in the sites fees with photos. They did have to manage show throughs though and had maybe half a dozen people look through that they could tell had no intention of buying. But as they say, you only need one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We bought privately - kinda.

The person we purchased from had a brother (I think) in Real Estate. He held the deposit in a trust. I think he may have done the contract and we just had the solicitor check it all. If you think it is legit then I would do it that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why not get a few real estate agents in to do an appraisal? That's what I'd do
    Explain your plans for decorating/improvements and see what they think they can realistically get. If it's in the ballpark of the already interested buyer then just sell it direct to that person. But if they legitimately believe they can get significantly more (not just pulling your chain to get a listing) then I'd put it to market. It can't hurt (and won't cost anything more than a bit of your time) to get a few professional opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

What I would do is call an agent

If you know 1 person already who will pay 1.3 then how do you know there may not be more? Or if that person will pay more? Or if your neighbours are interested? Especially in your area, with demand as high as it is just make sure you are getting the best price

we did an auction last month where the neighbours offered $1.1 , the owners got DH down to see if they could get more, he was certain they would, he sold it at auction for $1.280! the $1.1 neighbour did bid up to $1.190 or I've had one where a neighbour has offered good money but the owner still employed us to negotiate him up higher - we got another $100,000 ( so worth our fee getting the owner more money)

My point being just make sure you know you won't get any better - get the top 2 agents in, don't tell them you have an offer and see what they say and who you like, then once you pick one you like you can tell them about the offer and ask if a) is it worth it to go to market or b) do they have qualified buyers they can show through with $x amount to spend ( whatever price you decide) and they may sell it "off market" which will only cost you your their fee and of course you would only sell if they get you a better price

In your area private sales are red flags to buyers that a) the owners are not serious or b) you don't know what your doing and they will try get you down on price so selling to someone you know is fine but don't do the whole campaign yourself as you just can't compete with the other homes in the area by yourself
    Good luck!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (15-12-2016),gingermillie  (15-12-2016),JustJaq  (15-12-2016),lilypily  (15-12-2016),Mum-I-Am  (16-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a free appraisal, then sell privately. There's no way I'd go through a RE if I knew someone willing to buy and could avoid the hassle of renovating, and avoid the RE costs if the price is right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What area are we talking? If you know the area, are happy with the price, dont want the hassle of improvements and staging for sale, and the buyer is happy for your very extended settlement, i would probably consider a private transaction with solicitors involved. Having said that i have a tight relationship with a local agent who we will always use as they have huge access to a wide range of buyers and i have no doubt they could achieve much higher than a private sale.

Thanks
    Reviews

The market could move (up or down) significantly in the next 9 months. I'd wait until closer to the time to sell before making a call. Also the buyer who you have lined up might not wait that long or change their mind on the price.