+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,126
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,860
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Subbing to your thread! As I need advice!
    In my case, I applied for a bachelor of nursing and got accepted! Full time next year.
    I'm a single parent with 100% custody. But my girls are in school full time next year (grade 2 and prep).
    I'm freaking out about placements. I have no idea how I'm going to manage, particularly if I get sent for a more rural placement, as there is no one to mind my kids. I don't have any family in this state..
    I never did rural, all but 2 of my prac were at the same hospital.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,160
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,011
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am going to be brutally honest as I'm an RN.

    If you have no one that can help take care of you children then nursing will be extremely difficult!

    If you have an aunt, uncle, grandparents that can offer care for your children fine. But if you have none of these then I would highly reconsider your choice of careers.

    I did it as a single person with no kids. It's perfectly doable.

    With a child and no help from anyone! I have had to go casual. Hubby works but I still cannot work full time.

    You will be required to work mornings 07:00 to 3:30. Most day cares don't open early enough. You will be required to work evenings usually around 1:30pm to 10:00pm. No daycare extends to 10:30pm at night. You will be required to work nights often 10 hours 9:30pm - 7:30am. There are no overnight daycares that I know of.

    You can put your roster preferences in but your not gaurenteed of getting it. Some nursing unit managers will help those with kids and some don't care!

    Some hospitals will roster you a set number of night shifts according to how many hours you work. I have had this happen and still have first hand knowledge that it's still happening your first year out as a new grad expect more than your fair share of night shift.

    You will be required to work Xmas, pub holidays. School holidays etc etc.

    If you have absolutely no one to help you take care of your children please rethink your career choice.

    I have no one to help at all. Hubby takes care of child when he isn't working and I get shifts as a casual on the days he is off. Which isn't much! But there is no way I can take up permanent shifts. None.

    Just wanted to be brutally honest to help not to crush your dreams!!!!

    No one tells you the honest stuff I do. I wish someone had told me

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

    jasminecook85  (16-12-2016)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,126
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,860
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What @MysticFalls says is true to a point. I've work in areas of nursing where this is 100% true, I was in awe of the mums with tiny kids that made it work.

    However there are options, not always as exciting or adrenaline filled but that are much more family friendly.

    I work in operating theatres (private hospital) our unit is staffed 6am-11pm min-fri with staff on call after these hours and weekends. Most weekends they staff a couple theatres but people choose to do this. Recovery staff have staggered starts hourly between 7-2pm so you could start at 8 or 9.

    Maybe also consider:
    Day units like dialysis, cancer centre, radiology, gastroenterology, day surgery, outpatient clinics. Plus if you don't want to be in a hospital gp clinics, community nursing.

    There are options out there but it may not be the "most exciting" options.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (15-12-2016)

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    qld
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    65
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    I am going to be brutally honest as I'm an RN.

    If you have no one that can help take care of you children then nursing will be extremely difficult!

    If you have an aunt, uncle, grandparents that can offer care for your children fine. But if you have none of these then I would highly reconsider your choice of careers.

    I did it as a single person with no kids. It's perfectly doable.

    With a child and no help from anyone! I have had to go casual. Hubby works but I still cannot work full time.

    You will be required to work mornings 07:00 to 3:30. Most day cares don't open early enough. You will be required to work evenings usually around 1:30pm to 10:00pm. No daycare extends to 10:30pm at night. You will be required to work nights often 10 hours 9:30pm - 7:30am. There are no overnight daycares that I know of.

    You can put your roster preferences in but your not gaurenteed of getting it. Some nursing unit managers will help those with kids and some don't care!

    Some hospitals will roster you a set number of night shifts according to how many hours you work. I have had this happen and still have first hand knowledge that it's still happening your first year out as a new grad expect more than your fair share of night shift.

    You will be required to work Xmas, pub holidays. School holidays etc etc.

    If you have absolutely no one to help you take care of your children please rethink your career choice.

    I have no one to help at all. Hubby takes care of child when he isn't working and I get shifts as a casual on the days he is off. Which isn't much! But there is no way I can take up permanent shifts. None.

    Just wanted to be brutally honest to help not to crush your dreams!!!!

    No one tells you the honest stuff I do. I wish someone had told me
    Thank you for being honest. I've spoken with my partner and we are going to call the Uni today together and talk it all out together.
    im lucky that my partner works from home so as a career he will be able to pick up the kids from school or drop them off or make them breakfast or take them to sporting events when I'm on nightshift or sleeping or getting called out to deliver a baby. Hopefully I do get a good boss that lets me go to my kids sporting events ect but I've heard there are assholes out there my gf works as an RN and her boss is a biatch she only wanted to work 1day a week after her kids but her boss wouldn't have it so she is working 2days. I guess it's like anywhere you work, you have to find a family friendly place and get on with ya boss, it'll be like finding a needle in the hay, or possibly working your way up, the pecking order, oh I can only hope.
    I've factored in everything and I still want to do it. Everything you've said I've had family and friends and friends that are in the business tell me repeatedly, I'm not trying to say I know everything I'm just saying I've really had a good think about it. At first I was hesitant but after 9months of thinking it out and listening to the stories the good and bad I've got this urge inside me that says its fine we'll work it out. I'm so passionate about birth pregnancy breastfeeding, I've never had anything I've wanted to do, I've done a diploma in beauty therapy as a 20year old I was out partying and thought oh I like makeup, I didn't even know about waxing ect, I still loved it but not as a career, and same with my diploma of fitness, I love training myself and another person when I feel like it but I don't wake up every morning going, oh what training method can I learn about today or what beauty product can I learn, ah nope not me. But becoming a midwife is something so different for me. Who says, yep I can do 6-7years of study! I hated the fact of 12months of study let alone all the 3-4years of study all my friends had done I just could never understand how someone could commit to such a long time. So for me to say I'll commit to that , says a lot to me. I really do understand the Christmas and 2am side of things as being a midwife or nurse, people may say I'm being selfish but I'm not, I'm going to be a SAHM with my kids until they go to school, that's something very special and I'm so grateful t have. I understand long shifts and nightshift as I worked as a truck driver for 5years. Yes I'm a trade of many, but I truly believe everything happens for a reason, life's a journey and this is my one. I never had support having my baby girl, my family and my partners family were very unsupportive in everything I did, I want to be that midwife that's there for that first time mum and even 2nd and fifth that needs that support and clarification that they are doing it right. I hope I haven't bored you too much, but honestly I think I can make it work this family work lifestyle balance. If not I'll sulk of having to of done 6-7years of hard study and then come back on here and say why didn't you tell me mystic falls lol

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasminecook85 For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (16-12-2016),MysticFalls  (16-12-2016)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    qld
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    65
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    What @MysticFalls says is true to a point. I've work in areas of nursing where this is 100% true, I was in awe of the mums with tiny kids that made it work.

    However there are options, not always as exciting or adrenaline filled but that are much more family friendly.

    I work in operating theatres (private hospital) our unit is staffed 6am-11pm min-fri with staff on call after these hours and weekends. Most weekends they staff a couple theatres but people choose to do this. Recovery staff have staggered starts hourly between 7-2pm so you could start at 8 or 9.

    Maybe also consider:
    Day units like dialysis, cancer centre, radiology, gastroenterology, day surgery, outpatient clinics. Plus if you don't want to be in a hospital gp clinics, community nursing.

    There are options out there but it may not be the "most exciting" options.
    thank you for the encouragement. It's something I really want to do as mentioned in the comment above, I won't go on again lol

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminecook85 View Post
    Oh thats awesome. Congratulations on getting to your last year! Did you put your kids in daycare or keep them at home. Just thinking of study load. I think ill be putting my 16month old in daycare next year for 1-2days so thatll help a bit before the other one comes. Yea i know, i hearing what you are saying. Im a big believer in if you put your mind to something you can do anything no excuses sort of thing.

    I just reread your post and noticed you said you were working part time so duh of course the kids would of been in daycare. Did you do it by distance and or did you do it part time?
    How far into the course did you do the orac? It would of killed you being a single oarent and all. How did you do it. I mean it would of been so hard, did you get any help from your family and friends?

    Im going to do it all by myself. Although ill be able to get help from my partner when i do my pracitcals. Oh i really hope this all works out for me, i dont want to wait another year although i wouldnt change having my baby girl for the world and the one (maybe) on its way
    The kiddies were in daycare and my mum had them one day a week! I do uni full time on campus however a lot of it is at home! All the lectures are recorded so I didn't attend them and just watched them at night!! In first year full time was two days and in second year it was just one!! Third year is the same!

    I did placement in first year, I have been really lucky and have got local placements!

    Placements are hard because not only do I have six weeks of full time work I also miss out on actual paid work so it's a struggle with childcare costs! But thankfully we manage and I am so close to the end!! I am applying to do midwifery once I finish my nursing degree!! I want to knock it over as I know once I start relying on an income I won't go back and study it!!!

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,160
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,011
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Then go for it jasminecook85. Your not going into it blind.


    If you need help just ask. I'm great at assignments

  11. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,160
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,011
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just another heads up what you do in community nursing changes where you are. Example. Merrylands wound care, palliative and child and family health. Sutherland hospital wound care, showering, cleaning etc. I politely declined that position cause I thought it was going to be like Merrylands. And in the country it's different again. Hours in Merrylands 8:30-4pm pub hols off. Sutherland 8-7pm and including pub hold. Country 7am-7pm or 10am - 10pm

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

    jasminecook85  (16-12-2016)

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    qld
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    65
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Just another heads up what you do in community nursing changes where you are. Example. Merrylands wound care, palliative and child and family health. Sutherland hospital wound care, showering, cleaning etc. I politely declined that position cause I thought it was going to be like Merrylands. And in the country it's different again. Hours in Merrylands 8:30-4pm pub hols off. Sutherland 8-7pm and including pub hold. Country 7am-7pm or 10am - 10pm
    So can i just say, freaking thank you very much if it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt of known about the hospital placements. I just called the careers advisor there with my partner to help me,better 2 ears then 1, and we asked about the prac, they only told us about the redisidential school, so we said how about the hospital placements they thdn told us all about it. If i hadnt spoken to you guys they wouldnt of told us about it.

    So she said there are 5 placements throughout the degree. She told me the hours of each placements to pretty much what you guys said. Because im going to do it part time i can sort of pick and choose when to do it (sort of). So for the first term im just going to do introduction to nursing and this ither one forgot what it was called but they dont require and pracs resdidential schools or placements then term 2 im going to defer (as bub should be here) and then 2018 i will reavulate where i will go from there. Bub will be 7 months, i know there is once other unit she said i could do without any resi school or placements so hopefully thatll keep me going until term2 2018 and then itll be full steam ahead, well as much as the little terrors let me haha my partner has been good said dont worry itll be fine itll work out.

    Yea they dont give you the good stuff do they, lol ill love the cleaning and bed side stuff,not! Nah i know,its like anything,gotta work your way up. Its all good but yhanks for the heads up.yep i might need your help with asignments,the more help the better, i gotta get accepted first!
    Where dis you find out the times for the country, i think ill be placed in the country, well im hoping so the lady told me that interstate students will get placed to as close to home as possible. So fingerscrossed they give me bathurst hospital!

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    qld
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    65
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBizMa View Post
    The kiddies were in daycare and my mum had them one day a week! I do uni full time on campus however a lot of it is at home! All the lectures are recorded so I didn't attend them and just watched them at night!! In first year full time was two days and in second year it was just one!! Third year is the same!

    I did placement in first year, I have been really lucky and have got local placements!

    Placements are hard because not only do I have six weeks of full time work I also miss out on actual paid work so it's a struggle with childcare costs! But thankfully we manage and I am so close to the end!! I am applying to do midwifery once I finish my nursing degree!! I want to knock it over as I know once I start relying on an income I won't go back and study it!!!
    So as mentioned above i spoke with the uni about placements and all so im now uptodate thanks again for all the information. You must be supermum lol nah but good on ya thats heaps good. Id do it your way but we cant afford to put bub in daycare maybe only once, i should have no excuse considerinf you went to work as well.ive no idea how you did it but ya did so good on ya. Yea id do midwifery straight away too. Plus your one step closer to being a midwife. Hopefully the process of being a midwife student to getting a job as a midwife is easy. On seek all i see is 2years experience! Its not dampening my dreams though. No way, cant get me down im on a mission lol


 

Similar Threads

  1. Studying next year? 2017
    By monnie24 in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 13-03-2017, 14:44
  2. Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery Question...
    By 2gorgeousboys in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2016, 18:03
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2016, 12:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Aquabliss School of SwimMake a Splash at Sydney's favourite Swim School! We have you covered with 9 locations around Sydney and NSW; Frensham, ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›