+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Support for SAHM studying bachelor of nursing 2017 s

I am thinking about studying in 2017 bachelor of nursing by distance part time and i have a 16month old and a baby on its way due in august. Do you think it would be possible to do the first term and then second term i go back to just 1 subject?;;i may also have to ask if one of the residential school clinics can be deffered or picked back up the following year as bub will only be a few months old. Ill defientlt need atleast 8-12weeks off once bub is born too. Ill have to ask the university career advisor these questions tomorrow.
    My long term goal is to be a midwife. I love birth and to witness it and be apart of someone elses pregnacy and birth journey would be wonderful. I wouldnt feel like im working. Such a big passion of mine especially hypnobirthing
    Anyone else out there with a similar story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You would have to talk to them generally Prac is undertaken after the finished module usually. Not sure you can defer that??? Same with residential school????

Also ask where your pracs will be and the amount of time you will be on them.

In csu our pracs could not be completed at the same hospital everytime. We had to do one rural. This may have an impact on what you do or where you study as you will have two young kids to care for.

Make sure you tell them you want to do midwifery.

Also ask them what the requirements of the midwifery course. When I looked at it you had to sign that your available at a moments notice. Cause you follow one mum through the whole process. Prenatal, the birth and antenatal. So if your lady goes into labour they will call you if that's 2am so be it.

Just thought I would let you know. I had to give it up cause I have no one to watch my daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to the uni careers advisor this morning. She said once im accepted i could talk to the course planner and let them know all the details of my year next year and they will help work out what units to do and when and when bub comes that i could defer for a few months. Ive seen the residential school for term 1 is in march and july so ill be able to do those but term 2 i wont be able to as ill have bub (or should have bub if my ivf works, your in the other thread im in )
    And residential school goes for 3 days. I dont have to do any hospital visits, well i havent been told that i have to as far as i know itll all be covered in the 3days.
    As for midwifery i wont be able to do that course until i finish the nursing which will take me 6years as im doing it part time so my babies will well intruly be in school or daycare by then
    Oh i hope ive been given the right information regarding the residnetial school now im worried about this hospital thing you speak of.
    Where did you start yours at and did you do full time or part time. Will you consider to do it again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    All nursing degrees require prac in hospitals/ nursing homes/ medical centres. I'm not sure what "residential school" is.

I would check and confirm prac, my final year of nursing included a 2 full time placements of 10 and 12 weeks. I know it differs from
    Uni to uni but you will 100% be required to do hospital based prac.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in my final year of nursing (next year!!!) I started by doing a bridging course I started when my littlest was 18 months and my biggest was 3.5!!
    It's been hard, I am a single parent and I am working part time!! The prac blocks almost kill me but the rewards are great!! I know it will be worth it and long term goals keep me going!! If it's what you want you'll be surprised what you can achieve!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    All nursing degrees require prac in hospitals/ nursing homes/ medical centres. I'm not sure what "residential school" is.

I would check and confirm prac, my final year of nursing included a 2 full time placements of 10 and 12 weeks. I know it differs from
    Uni to uni but you will 100% be required to do hospital based prac.
    Ok thanks i will do this. Is it maybe different because im doing it by distance? These are all good things to ask so thank you for sharing with me. And also did you do any prac in the first and second year or was it just the third. Im thinking if its jst the third then its doable but if i have to do 10-12 weeks of hospital prac and placements in the first and 2nd year then i may have to reconsider. Residential school is for distance students, its basically all the prac youve done but crammed into 3days. Im not sure how or if i get the same outcome as you would doing it as a fulltime campus student. But ill defiently ask again to reconfirm. Im thinking its just the last year that ill have to do the long placements in hospitals as it would get you ready, like a transfer between student to professional, makes sense to do it that way, and because im doing it lart time im guessing it wouldnt be until my 5th or 6th year. Will ask though.oh and im doing it through CQuniversity.

Did you do it full time or part time?
    Last edited by jasminecook85; 15-12-2016 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBizMa View Post
    I am in my final year of nursing (next year!!!) I started by doing a bridging course I started when my littlest was 18 months and my biggest was 3.5!!
    It's been hard, I am a single parent and I am working part time!! The prac blocks almost kill me but the rewards are great!! I know it will be worth it and long term goals keep me going!! If it's what you want you'll be surprised what you can achieve!!
    Oh thats awesome. Congratulations on getting to your last year! Did you put your kids in daycare or keep them at home. Just thinking of study load. I think ill be putting my 16month old in daycare next year for 1-2days so thatll help a bit before the other one comes. Yea i know, i hearing what you are saying. Im a big believer in if you put your mind to something you can do anything no excuses sort of thing.

I just reread your post and noticed you said you were working part time so duh of course the kids would of been in daycare. Did you do it by distance and or did you do it part time?
    How far into the course did you do the orac? It would of killed you being a single oarent and all. How did you do it. I mean it would of been so hard, did you get any help from your family and friends?

Im going to do it all by myself. Although ill be able to get help from my partner when i do my pracitcals. Oh i really hope this all works out for me, i dont want to wait another year although i wouldnt change having my baby girl for the world and the one (maybe) on its way
    Last edited by jasminecook85; 15-12-2016 at 18:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing to your thread! As I need advice!
    In my case, I applied for a bachelor of nursing and got accepted! Full time next year.
    I'm a single parent with 100% custody. But my girls are in school full time next year (grade 2 and prep).
    I'm freaking out about placements. I have no idea how I'm going to manage, particularly if I get sent for a more rural placement, as there is no one to mind my kids. I don't have any family in this state..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes there are placement on prac in your first year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

jasminecook85  (15-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I did prac from first semester in year 1.

Even distance ed students do prac.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

jasminecook85  (15-12-2016)