+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Adoption through Barnardos NSW

Hey all,
    Just wanted to see if there was anyone else about to embark or already on the journey of adoption through Barnardos NSW Find-a-family program? We've just started the process and wanted to see if there was anyone else in the same boat.
    Suzie

Thanks
    Reviews

Default News?

Hi just wondering how the process is going for you? We are just starting to look at adoption any tips or information you could share

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NessyNoodle867 For This Useful Post:

Me2017  (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How is the progress Suzie?

Hi Suzie 😊 How is the progress going so far? I see that your original post is from December 2016 so I imagine you've had a lot of experience now? I have just submitted my EOI paperwork 😆😆

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,
    After initial interviews in January this year we decided not to go ahead at this stage.
    Hopefully everything is going well for you both!
    Suzie x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to suzier For This Useful Post:

Me2017  (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering if there is anyone who has been progressing through their application?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    My partner and I are currently exploring this avenue! Does anyone know what kind of timeframe we're looking at and the process involved?
    We're very very new to the process, but it's an exciting one!

How is everyone else getting on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey CandK If you're looking at Barnardo's NSW it seems to be one of the quicker agencies as far as I've read (but also, the only one I have had interaction with too).

I initially submitted something online through their website and got a bit of an info pack emailed to me. Once I read through the info I phoned my local office to speak to someone (but by this stage I had already been seriously considering for 12 months so was pretty committed to the idea and had thought through a lot of the issues etc), they offered to come to my house a couple of weeks later for a bit of an information session (but I've read on the forum that heaps of people get put on a waiting list for an info night, so I guess it depends on their case load etc?). The info session was great, I had thought I knew what I was looking at but I walked away with heaps to think about (but nothing that made me reconsider). After the info session at my place they gave me a whole bunch of paperwork to fill in, which took me a few weeks to get through (police checks, financial stuff, life story, and a whole bunch of other things too). And then once all of that is processed you go through a process of individual and couple interviews- they say their aim is to complete this assessment section within six months. And around this time you'll be put on a waiting list for their next training program - three days of group training. And then at the end of all of that they put your family before a board to assess your suitability etc for approval and then you wait to be matched with a child.

I'm up to the stage of starting my training in a couple of weeks, and my formal home interviews start within the next month so that's really all the info I have at this stage and the rest is a bit of an unknown!

It's not a quick process so if you're seriously considering it then it's probably worth starting contact and trying to attend the info stuff so you can get a better idea of what's ahead.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, Me2017!
    We submitted an enquiry with Bernardo's, however they informed us that adoption with them in our area wasn't possible.
    We know a couple of people who foster and they've put us in contact with a local foster service to get us into foster to adopt which is very very exciting and if all goes well, we could have little people (or big people) within 6 months so we're very very excited!

Thank you for your reply!

CandK 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow!! Within six months is amazing! Good luck with the whole process and how exciting!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, well 2 years foster to adopt and then the adoption process can take up to 5.. but we'll have kids in our house so we'll be happy