ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sofia Veraga's embyros

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started on this already, but here goes.

What do you think about the case supposedly being brought on behalf of Sofia Veraga's embryos? It seems her former partner wants the right to implant two frozen embryos, which they created while they were together, into a surrogate to bring them to term. Sofia Veraga is saying no.

Here's an article about it: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...suing_her.html

For the non-clickers:

"Actress Sofia Vergara is said to have broken up with her fiancé after she took him to the White House and he tried to get President Obama to pose for a photo with a container of the hot-dog topping he invented. One would think, especially if one were one of the most beautiful and well-paid actresses in the world, that things could not get worse, relationship-wise.

That was before the now ex-fiancé, Nick Loeb, launched a yearslong legal crusade over two frozen embryos. That crusade reached an absurd new low this week, when the embryos themselves sued Vergara in Louisiana. As Page Six first reported, the suit lists them as plaintiffs “Emma” and “Isabella” and claims that because they have not been born, they are being deprived of money being held for them in a trust in the state.

The suit’s language is even more surreal than that summary might indicate. “Plaintiff EMMA is a female human being at the embryonic stage of life, five days old developmentally,” the section on the parties to the suit begins, according to a copy of the suit acquired by the Daily Beast. It goes on to assert that “by leaving Emma and Isabella in a tank in a medical clinic for more than three years and refusing to consent to their development or care, Vergara has effectively abandoned and chronically neglected and Emma and Isabella.” It asks the court to nullify a contract the couple signed, on the grounds that the contract had no provision for what would happen if they broke up. Vergara’s parental rights would be terminated.

The then-couple attempted in vitro fertilization twice in 2013 and signed a contract saying any resulting embryos would be brought to term only with both parents’ consent. They broke up soon afterward, and Vergara quite reasonably has no interest in seeing the remaining two embryos implanted in anyone’s uterus. Loeb apparently feels differently and has been using a series of escalatingly intrusive legal parries for the right to implant them in a surrogate. “Keeping them frozen forever is tantamount to killing them,” he wrote in an op-ed last year in the New York Times.

The suit alleges that Louisiana is an appropriate venue because the couple broke up there. It lists a trustee for the embryos named James Charbonnet, who lives in New Orleans and has no obvious ties to either Vergara or Loeb. Vergara lives in California, where the embryos are stored. Loeb lives in New York and Florida, although he went to college in Louisiana and still has some ties there.

A more likely reason that the suit is being filed in Louisiana is that the state passed a law in 1986 that declares embryos to be “juridical persons,” an entity different from a human being but endowed with many of the same rights. The law gives embryos the right to sue or be sued, and states that disputes must be resolved “in the best interest of the in vitro fertilized ovum.” As the Daily Beast reports, one of the lawyers who filed the suit has worked for anti-abortion law firms and spoken out frequently against Planned Parenthood.

Previously, Loeb had sued Vergara in California for custody of the embryos. He dropped that suit on Monday because a judge had ordered him to submit the names of former girlfriends who had abortions during their relationships. Indeed, that would have been an awfully icky thing to do. Really, can you even imagine anything ickier?"

What do you think?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    What a narcissistic, vile excuse of a being Nick Loeb must be.

They are not "5 days old", they are a cluster of cells in a petrie dish. At 'best' they are -275 days old.

At the risk of sounding flippant, probably the easiest outcome is if someone forgets to close the freezer door where the embryos are stored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    All I can think is "what the actual f***!"

They signed a contract to say that both parties needed to give consent to the use of the embryos. I don't know who this bloke is, but I wonder if he's just trying to cash in on her fame and fortune and that's the only reason why he's trying to get these embryos implanted in a surrogate. If so, then I hope the judge sees through it and throws the case out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Money money money that's all this is about. He wants a dash for her cash and for her to pay him child support if he actually won.

So tacky and only in America

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of the most bizarre things I've ever read!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    All I can think is "what the actual f***!".
    My thoughts exactly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been reading about this over the last while.
    He must be a complete nut job!

And who named them?
    Were they named while they were together as a couple, or has he gone on to name them as a way to get the public to support him against her?

He's one sick puppy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Money money money that's all this is about. He wants a dash for her cash and for her to pay him child support if he actually won.

So tacky and only in America
    I think he has said he is not looking for financial support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    All I can think is "what the actual f***!"

They signed a contract to say that both parties needed to give consent to the use of the embryos. I don't know who this bloke is, but I wonder if he's just trying to cash in on her fame and fortune and that's the only reason why he's trying to get these embryos implanted in a surrogate. If so, then I hope the judge sees through it and throws the case out.
    I don't know why she broke up with him but she did get together with Joe Manganiello pretty soon afterwards so I'd say it's a case of Nick Loeb being bitter to the core.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I think he has said he is not looking for financial support.
    One article I read said he wants private school to be paid for plus trust funds into the millions. He sounds crazy.