ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 95
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanks
    736
    Thanked
    729
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely use them for travel. I think its not about the device used ( we have tv and old game console) but more about the content the kids are exposed to. We only do g rated and learning games. They would love the more popular games but the answer is no from me.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

    witherwings  (24-12-2016)

  3. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    940
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked
    297
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a family iPad . I only put learning apps on it like Montessori , reading eggs , teach your monster to read and books and of course they come with the garage band thing which they love

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

    witherwings  (24-12-2016)

  5. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,697
    Thanks
    3,522
    Thanked
    980
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd1, 9yo and dd2, 4yo both have thier own ipads

  6. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    663
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not yet but our DD (6) is getting one for Christmas this year. In fact it's actually an android not an IPAD. She doesn't have access to a computer or a laptop either though really. I want her to be exposed to technology so she wanted this and thought okay let's do it. She actually didn't do too well at school (not heaps bad) with information technology and computing so thought it was time to introduce her to some.

  7. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    875
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, my children don't have iPad's. I will resist buying them one for as long as I possibly can. I find it difficult enough to regulate their TV time (they are continually harassing me to turn on their shows) that I couldn't handle having them carry on about the iPad as well. I find TV slightly different to the iPad too... I feel like tv is easier for them to disengage from, yet a screen that they are pressing, swiping and controlling their own movements is very engaging and it would be easy for them to lose hours in front of it if a parent wasn't actively regulating their use. Which, call me lazy, I can't be bothered doing. It's not unusual for me and my daughter to turn up to a play date at her friends house only for her friend to present the iPad to her and they go into another room just to stare at the iPad. I hate that! A play date should be two kids playing, not staring at a screen. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about them not being able to use the technology because they use them semi frequently at school and so far none of the teachers have commented that my ipad-less children haven't been able to master the basics to be able to complete their lessons. I see why parents have no issue with them, I just feel like it would be another thing to distract them from real life, and seeing as though none of them have ever even asked for ipad then I have no reason to introduce one.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

    Power child  (26-12-2016)

  9. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,568
    Thanks
    868
    Thanked
    1,273
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also hate playdates that involve an ipad! I ban them and the laptop when playdates are at our house.
    If its a long playdate they can put a movie on at the end of it when they are exhausted from running around

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

    GingerKat  (26-12-2016),Power child  (26-12-2016)

  11. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,733
    Thanks
    1,226
    Thanked
    3,243
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    No, my children don't have iPad's. I will resist buying them one for as long as I possibly can. I find it difficult enough to regulate their TV time (they are continually harassing me to turn on their shows) that I couldn't handle having them carry on about the iPad as well. I find TV slightly different to the iPad too... I feel like tv is easier for them to disengage from, yet a screen that they are pressing, swiping and controlling their own movements is very engaging and it would be easy for them to lose hours in front of it if a parent wasn't actively regulating their use. Which, call me lazy, I can't be bothered doing. It's not unusual for me and my daughter to turn up to a play date at her friends house only for her friend to present the iPad to her and they go into another room just to stare at the iPad. I hate that! A play date should be two kids playing, not staring at a screen. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about them not being able to use the technology because they use them semi frequently at school and so far none of the teachers have commented that my ipad-less children haven't been able to master the basics to be able to complete their lessons. I see why parents have no issue with them, I just feel like it would be another thing to distract them from real life, and seeing as though none of them have ever even asked for ipad then I have no reason to introduce one.
    Have you tried a month of a free for all? My son can have as much TV as he likes but he will watch a show or two and drift away and play. Maybe they only want it cause they can't have it. I find kids self regulate really well.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

    Little Miss Sunshine  (25-12-2016)

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanks
    1,410
    Thanked
    1,322
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    No, my children don't have iPad's. I will resist buying them one for as long as I possibly can. I find it difficult enough to regulate their TV time (they are continually harassing me to turn on their shows) that I couldn't handle having them carry on about the iPad as well. I find TV slightly different to the iPad too... I feel like tv is easier for them to disengage from, yet a screen that they are pressing, swiping and controlling their own movements is very engaging and it would be easy for them to lose hours in front of it if a parent wasn't actively regulating their use. Which, call me lazy, I can't be bothered doing. It's not unusual for me and my daughter to turn up to a play date at her friends house only for her friend to present the iPad to her and they go into another room just to stare at the iPad. I hate that! A play date should be two kids playing, not staring at a screen. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about them not being able to use the technology because they use them semi frequently at school and so far none of the teachers have commented that my ipad-less children haven't been able to master the basics to be able to complete their lessons. I see why parents have no issue with them, I just feel like it would be another thing to distract them from real life, and seeing as though none of them have ever even asked for ipad then I have no reason to introduce one.
    This is 100% how I feel about it. I'm just desperate to find a way to keep them occupied while we travel without having to bring a separate suitcase just for their books/puzzles/activities/toys. We are going for a month so they definitely need something to keep them
    Entertained.. I'm not looking for validation or trying to justify the decision.. I just realise that the iPad definitely has a good use in certain circumstances. I don't think I'll let them use it unless it's for travel. Wouldn't want them sitting on it at home, not yet anyway.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanks
    1,410
    Thanked
    1,322
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I also hate playdates that involve an ipad! I ban them and the laptop when playdates are at our house.
    If its a long playdate they can put a movie on at the end of it when they are exhausted from running around
    This is usually what we do as well. Once kids are tuckered out from playing we will put a "story" on TV and they sit down together with snacks.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    875
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    This is 100% how I feel about it. I'm just desperate to find a way to keep them occupied while we travel without having to bring a separate suitcase just for their books/puzzles/activities/toys. We are going for a month so they definitely need something to keep them
    Entertained.. I'm not looking for validation or trying to justify the decision.. I just realise that the iPad definitely has a good use in certain circumstances. I don't think I'll let them use it unless it's for travel. Wouldn't want them sitting on it at home, not yet anyway.
    I think for travel is different. We have a DVD player in DHs car and we put a DVD on for them for long trips, that's not really any different to the iPad. Travel is so boring for kids, and whilst it's ok to be bored sometimes, you don't want it to be torturous either!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

    witherwings  (27-12-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. iPad / Minecraft 4 year old
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-05-2016, 11:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Be In BlossomWe offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a focus ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT