ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think like anything in life, it's all about moderation and balance. My kids swim in the pool, hang out with their mates, read books, write stories and poetry.. and use technology. Like it or not it's here to stay, it's how you use it and put sensible parameters around it.

And that loss of control I think is a big part of the sadness of them growing up. I have a child in high school next year and it's been a bit emotional All you can do is instill good values, resilience and smart decision making in them and hope it has paid off.
    Totally agree! In many ways my kids have a very traditional childhood. We have a huge backyard with an enormous sandpit, cubby house, trampoline, and swing set. They ride bikes in the backyard, make mud pies, have water play, and generally entertain themselves for hours. Inside they do playdough, lego, drawing, board games, puzzles, blocks. We read books. We make forts out of sheets, they dress up in my shoes and hats, & their imaginitive play is amazing. We do playgroup, nature outings, library, swimming. Parks and playgrounds. Also, sometimes they have some quiet time with ipads. Moderation is absolutet key. They are not spending their days sitting on the ipad, that's for sure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

delirium  (14-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Was she really searching for Sharon stone or did it pick up some random convo?

Ds1 is obsessed with the play-doh videos. And those stupid kinder surprise egg ones.
    YES! So is my DD! And watching people play iPad games. Watching kids in play cafes. Listening to Indian nursery rhymes!

Some of the stuff she finds is hilarious. But my god surprise eggs do my head in!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids 8,6 and 3 don't own iPads. We have a family one they all get to use but that's it. I won't be purchasing them their own until I know they are old enough to look after one and not be anti social with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    But it's so user friendly that even my 65yo mom managed to learn how to use it in a couple of days.
    It takes 1hr for a kid to figure it out - if that

I don't know, I was introduced to computers and coding when I was 20yo and its part of my job now.

I'm yet to meet a kid that can't use a computer/laptop/smart phone and none of the 10 kids in my family have any of those devices.
    However I know many kids that can't read and write properly.
    This!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    DS1 who is in yr 3 this year has an ipad for school which he also uses at home. He also has an ipod, computer and PS4 with his own tv. DD has a laptop for school, an ipod and computer. She has a tv in her room. We also have older samsung tablets that they use on long trips for movies.

We are a techie family. DD also has an extensive collection of books which you have to pull her head out of, and DS1 has an amazing imagination and will play outside on his own chatting away in his own make believe world.

I often find the most angst-y parents that tut tut over everything have little kids. Once they hit school and especially high school you have to let the control go a bit. Not saying you allow your kids to go Clockwork Orange or run the streets naked but as they get older you can't fight technology.
    Sounds like a teenagers dream! Lol I would have loved having all that in my room when I was in year 3. But in our house, all our kids will sleep in the same room and there will be no TV or computers in anyone's room. I'm not sure if they will have their own laptops yet, as you say, when you have small kids it hard to imagine what they will need in the future, but definitely one computer for the household, one TV for the kids to share in the family room, and maybe a laptop each for school work only, with restricted access for downloading software. That's the plan anyway also I flat out refuse to have video game consoles in our house. With 3 boys and a dad, I know they will just spent ALL their time playing video games, or begging to play video games. No thanks! I have a strong hate for video games lol they can play them at their friends' houses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Was she really searching for Sharon stone or did it pick up some random convo?

Ds1 is obsessed with the play-doh videos. And those stupid kinder surprise egg ones.
    She wouldn't have any idea who sharonvstone is so I'm not sure what the first but was meant to be. But the rest would be all her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes ofcourse, dont most kids? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we need to embrace technology and teach kids how to use it responsibly as it is going to me a big part of the future and is not going to go away. I also dont agree with banning things, but just limiting, monitoring and teaching to use responsibly

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blueberry Crumble For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (14-12-2016),Californication  (14-12-2016),delirium  (14-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I'm going to eat my words.... we are seriously considering buying a mini iPad for both boys so we can keep them entertained while we travel for a month overseas
    In the past we have brought books, puzzles, colouring things etc, but now with an extra baby, a pram and car seats, I think we will be better off with apps loaded onto iPads that have books, puzzles etc..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-12-2016),Mod-Wise Enough  (24-12-2016),VicPark  (25-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Well I'm going to eat my words.... we are seriously considering buying a mini iPad for both boys so we can keep them entertained while we travel for a month overseas
    In the past we have brought books, puzzles, colouring things etc, but now with an extra baby, a pram and car seats, I think we will be better off with apps loaded onto iPads that have books, puzzles etc..
    We got dd an ipad when we went overseas and it was a great decision. While stuck at the airport or if her tv wasnt working on the plane she would use this with her own headphones.

We had a few educational games and movies and it was a lifesaver during those times

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-12-2016)