ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, each have a tablet

Ds2 is 4yrs old (almost 5) and I need to limit it to 2-3 times a day approx 45min each time. However he doesn't watch TV, just a bit of ABC at dinner time and around 15min of a movie in the evening.

When he's not on it he can sit for ages building Lego, playing with kenetic sand etc. However he does ask for the tablet a lot, so we need to be strict with time limits.

He has fine motor skill and gross motor skills issues. He needs to strengthen his core muscles and due to genetics (Dh), he has Hypermobility in his fingers (It's extra joint range of movement in his thumbs and fingers). He finds it difficult holding a pencil. So we need to do Occupational therapy work as often as possible.

If he was born in the 80's, 90's would he have these fine and gross motor skills problems?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Neither of my kids have an iPad. DS doesn't quite get how to use it and DD uses both of them. Our rule is before breakfast and for 1 hour when DS is having a nap.

On occasion we let her use it more often and that's usually if we are out at a restaurant / cafe etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    None of my kids have their own ipad, but we do have a family one which is unfortunately all banged up/cracked from numerous drops by the kids, though it does still work!

DD1 will be getting one through her school next year, which she will be allowed to bring home so she's pretty excited about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I'm curious if those who are against ipads are also against any TV time in their house? Just wondering if we see one screen as superior to another/ one is OK in moderation, & the other is not ok, just because one is a newer technology - or another reason? To me personally, screen time is screen time, but I know a lot of people who wont allow ipads but do allow TV access.
    I think iPads being used for the apps/educational stuff is not the same as TV screen time. I personally don't want my kids using a tablet to draw, write or do puzzles/play games. I would prefer they use pencils, real puzzles, use their hands for things other than tapping and swiping.

I'm not against screen time or even against using technology, but as others have said, they don't need to use technology at home and at such a young age, they will get enough exposure at school in my opinion..

To answer the original question: we don't have an iPad or tablet. well technically we do have a mini laptop that converts to a tablet, which we take with us overseas so we can do work while we travel without having to lug around a heavy laptop. We pair this tablet with an external hard drive loaded with kids movies, and this keeps kids entertained while we travel, but they only watch the movies/shows on it.

They don't play any video games or use any apps.

We used to have an iPad which we let the kids watch movies on when we were in the car or at a restaurant but eventually gave the iPad to DH's grandparents and managed to survive without the iPad. Now when we go to restaurants or drive in the car we just talk to our kids about stuff.

My son received a smart watch for his 5th birthday - it's very basic, designed for kids.. And he loves the watch, but even with its very limited functionality, I find that when he has it on, he is completely immersed in the watch. He has a hard enough time listening and paying attention to us as it is, so now with this watch, it's a thousand times worse. It's a lovely gift, but we don't let him use it too often for that reason. The other day he was so into the game he was playing on it that he announced to me "I'm doing a wee in my pants" and I said "what??? Why?" And he said "because I'm too busy".

Wtf?!

So the longer I can keep tablets and video games out of our house, the better for my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought one after my iPad post on BH. We only use it when we're out and all the other kids have one. I just don't want my kids to feel left out.

It was disappointing because I'd rather the kids play together and he doesn't use it when we're out with just the family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

michellead  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    None here. Kids are young so I may change my tunes but I believe screens are at best superfluous and not needed, at worst dangerous.

Just look at how parents working in the Silicon Valley choose for their own kids...

Also it's good for kids to be bored in my opinion. DH shares my view so hopefully we will stay strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Not only that but I think it's essential that kids learn how to use iPads, computers etc. It's just as important as using pens and paper.
    But it's so user friendly that even my 65yo mom managed to learn how to use it in a couple of days.
    It takes 1hr for a kid to figure it out - if that

I don't know, I was introduced to computers and coding when I was 20yo and its part of my job now.

I'm yet to meet a kid that can't use a computer/laptop/smart phone and none of the 10 kids in my family have any of those devices.
    However I know many kids that can't read and write properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    Its all about balance.
    Kids can still have books and pens and paper as well as 30min a day for example On technology.
    Just like having a healthy diet with an ice cream treat sometimes.

Everything in moderation is not going to destroy a child
    And while I agree with you DS is ASD so his addictive behaviours I'm not ready for it. Most kids I have seen who get funding (which you can through NDIS) for iPads end up meltdowns etc. I would rather him be outside on his bike & drawing with chalk.

When school says he needs a iPad I will get one for them. And why would I want them on YouTube? Sorry but do u sit there the whole time monitoring this?

DD does have an interest with my phone but only taking photos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    And while I agree with you DS is ASD so his addictive behaviours I'm not ready for it. Most kids I have seen who get funding (which you can through NDIS) for iPads end up meltdowns etc. I would rather him be outside on his bike & drawing with chalk.

When school says he needs a iPad I will get one for them. And why would I want them on YouTube? Sorry but do u sit there the whole time monitoring this?

DD does have an interest with my phone but only taking photos
    There's a YouTube kids app which only allows children's video/shows, you can put a timer on it, etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (13-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH has an iPad and ds1 occasionally uses it (long flights, shows on long car rides, in the morning when DH is trying to prolong staying in bed so he can read work emails. When it's unlocked Ds1 knows how to find his 'apps' and shows and plays around for a bit maybe for 20 mins every morning or every few days? Probably depends on what we have on, what we are trying to get done in the morning, etc.