ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought I replied to this thread but must not have posted!

I would be quite heartbroken if I was the mother. I was fortunate enough to have 2 uncomplicated VB's where I was able to hold both my babies first and for as long as I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    This. A lapse in judgement but hardly the crime of the century.
    I agree to an extent. There are worse things that people do BUT pregnancy/childbirth can be very emotional. And if this happened after a traumatic birth than it could make it even worse for the parents.

It was disrespectful - she did not even receive permission to cuddlle. What if she was not up to date with vaccinations? Or had a cold sore? Or any sickness?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-12-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be devastated. Firstly, if I had to have A c-sec it would already have deviated from a birth I had hoped to have, so knowing that someone else had held baby before me would have crushed me. That first hour is so critical. I don't think even DP held DS in it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Basing it on my experience from having 2 cesars. I would have already had a quick cuddle while still in the theater as would dh. If they were outside with dh while i was getti g stitched and she held bub briefly it wouldnt have bothered me as dh would have been there with bub. And then i would have had bub straight away for skin to skin.
    However if something had happened and I didnt get to hold bub first then yes I would have been upset

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I have photos of DHs family all meeting baby laughing and smiling while I was fighting for my life in the ICU after 4 hours of surgery to stop PPH. Makes me feel a little sick. I had already had a hold of baby but only very briefly.
    That's horrible, @bezzy. 🙁

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is 8 months now. I had an uncomplicated VB and I HATE when people try to take bub without express permission. (unless close family or friends)
    Sure, not the worst thing in the world but I, personally, would be extremely hurt. I cuddled my little girl for hours before anyone (except DH and BFF) even touched her and I can't imagine not having that time. It's a small window to have that bond that really is personal and special.
    If someone took my baby from my DH, one being a complete stranger and two, and more importantly, not waiting for permission. I'm getting up and breaking necks, seriously.
    Okay, genuine f-up. Reporter obviously knows how important it is as she said "I'm probably only the second person to ever hold you"
    Depending on mum in question, she might not even care. I'd expect a genuine apology.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know those women who halfway have your baby in their arms by the time they ask you for a cuddle. Like nails down a chalk board. And yes, I'm one of those mums who makes that known. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be pretty upset if that happened to me. BUT, before being pregnant and having a baby I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I wonder if the reporter is a mother? If she isn't I think it's reasonable that she wouldn't necessary know it's not the thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'd be pretty upset if that happened to me. BUT, before being pregnant and having a baby I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I wonder if the reporter is a mother? If she isn't I think it's reasonable that she wouldn't necessary know it's not the thing to do.
    She is a mother to 3 kids. And wants a 4th and is clucky. Which is the reason she gave for picking up the baby I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading the article just rushes me back almost 9 years to the birth of DD.

I ended up with an EMCS, I'd been vomiting and running a high fever all through labour, both bub and I had tachycardia and I was generally feeling pretty fuzzy headed.

DH stayed with me while I was stitched up but they don't have the staff/resources to keep bub in theatre so the midwife took her to the ward until I was in recovery. SIL pounced on the midwife as soon as she was through the ward door "is that Stretched's baby?", took photos and texted them to all of DH's interstate family (none of my family). I never even got the photos myself, I only know about it as SIL was gushing about how thrilled she was to get the first photos of DD. (Thankfully she didn't as the midwife photographed some of the birth for us). Like the reporter, SIL's a super-clucky sort.

I get what people are saying that it's not "that" big a deal. In my case DD wasn't held either. But I'd just been through one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, I felt like I had no control or choice, and it was yet another thing making me feel like I was just a bystander and everyone else gets to choose what happens to me and my baby. I hadn't even announced the birth FFS and it was being made public.

Next time DH was on strict orders that if I needed to be separated from bub (I did, another EMCS) that he should stay with bub. SIL also didn't get told about the birth until 24 hours after.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

CountryMumkin  (13-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This brings back my first c-section. I had a quick hold of DS but then had to go into recovery.
    Dh went with DS to weigh etc and on the way back to the room bumped into his extended family who started passing him around and taking photos... On the way back to the room the nurses asked everyone to leave the room so I could get cleaned and to my dismay they took DS with them so i couldn't even see him.

I actually had to call out to DH to bring DS back in after the nurses left and got my first decent cuddle and photo after about 10 people got in first. After 27 hours of labor resulting in an emergency c-section I was absolutely gutted I was an afterthought after all I'd been through to get him to this world and wouldn't lie if I wasn't a bit bitter still.

With my second elective (and this one in my tummy) DH is under strict orders that he is to call everyone to let them know of the birth but they are not to make their way to the hospital until he called them back I.e after I have been cleaned up and back in the room and had a decent chance to hold my baby with DH....

It worked last time with Dd so I will see how I go this time