ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be blunt & honest.

I'm overweight and honestly I hated people ESPECIALLY doctors not coming forward saying OK let's confront this situation head on. Mainly because I had no health issues except weight.

Is he a GP? Or at hosp? (Just asking because of exercise @work) is he stressed because another addition is coming etc? Is work okay? Maybe extra things are going on.

I would say my ob suggested I up the exercise bit more if u think he is too sensative or even order lite n easy

I would sit down and chat to him. Good luck Hun

2. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I really think you need to make it a joint effort as others have said. Even if you aren't overweight when the baby is born, even healthy weight range people benefit from healthy diet and exercise.

I wouldn't do the 'I'm worried about your weight/health'. A lot of weight issues are based on addictive tendencies and I know when I smoked I HATED those chats. I felt backed against the wall and emotionally manipulated. He's a dr, he knows the risks, the fact he is a GP tells me there is some level of addiction at play here. Basically it's how you frame this.

Once the baby is born I would say something like 'I've gone and got us both a gym membership/season pass at the pool/whatever. I would love us both to get more fit and spend some time together. I would love if we both made this a priority'. Make dinner time a joint effort where you share a glass of wine while preparing a stir fry sharing your day with each other. Ask him what he loves for lunch, then do a bulk cook and freeze.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

Once the baby is born I would say something like 'I've gone and got us both a gym membership/season pass at the pool/whatever. I would love us both to get more fit and spend some time together.
    Slightly off topic, but that sounds like the most unlikely time for this to happen! After the baby is born let's start going to the gym and spending more time together? Yikes that's wishful thinking!!! (At least it was in my house!)😝

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going to go against the grain and say you should just tell him out right.
    Meal prep with him on the weekend. Tell him you can't be eating fish and chips with a child every night you're at work, so have decided it's time to break habits now. You can go for walks when pregnant...start walking with your DH, if he eats well and goes for a walk every day he will start to lose weight. There's no reason you can't create better habits for you both because you're pregnant.
    DH and I stay fit and healthy because it's a joint effort. He is more likely to give up on exercise so I ensure he doesn't. I am more likely to pig out on sugary foods far too much so DH will tell me point blank to cut it out. It can be hard to hear...but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.
    Last edited by Full House; 12-12-2016 at 03:11.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Slightly off topic, but that sounds like the most unlikely time for this to happen! After the baby is born let's start going to the gym and spending more time together? Yikes that's wishful thinking!!! (At least it was in my house!)������
    lol I meant a few months later when things settle down. I was back at the gym within about 8 weeks after my c/s bc I wanted to lose the weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most people have said some good ideas, so I just wanted to add one thing!!
    Maybe bring your kiddies into it also?
    Your kids pick up their parents behaviours and saying you want to set an example for the kids to be active and healthy so they are active and healthy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBizMa For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all your help. I might try a few things and see how we go.

Just to clarify a few things.

I wasn't saying I can't exercise or eat well during pregnancy just that given how sick I am and the fact weight is falling off me means it's not a good 'excuse' to get him involved.

We do not have children so nobody is setting a bad example yet.

Fish and chips was an example not a 3 time a week thing.

My husband is not a GP although I'm still not sure why being a GP would suggest you have an addiction.

We have had a very stressful year, stillbirth, relocating a business, death and serious illness within the family and now the anxiety of pregnancy again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

yadot  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was badly worded...but I think the GP/addiction comment was saying that as a GP your DH would have a better understanding of the dangers of obesity, therefore some kind of food addiction is likely at play...not that your DH would have an addiction because he's a GP.

Perhaps some counselling is needed to cope with everything that has gone on. If he's using food for comfort he probably needs to deal with that so he can also focus on being healthy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-12-2016),Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    Thanks so much for all your help. I might try a few things and see how we go.

Just to clarify a few things.

I wasn't saying I can't exercise or eat well during pregnancy just that given how sick I am and the fact weight is falling off me means it's not a good 'excuse' to get him involved.

We do not have children so nobody is setting a bad example yet.

Fish and chips was an example not a 3 time a week thing.

My husband is not a GP although I'm still not sure why being a GP would suggest you have an addiction.

We have had a very stressful year, stillbirth, relocating a business, death and serious illness within the family and now the anxiety of pregnancy again.
    That sounds like a really tough year, I hope 2017 is a whole lot better xx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I didn't mean that being a dr meant he would have an addiction. As Full House said, I meant that as a dr he would have a good knowledge of health which tells me there may be possibly addictive tendencies at play here.

Given your further post about the hellish year you've had, it sounds like he eats his emotions like many of us do. I gained about 10kg during our ttc journey for our 3rd child where we lost 3 pgs. In short, I too ate my feelings.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (12-12-2016),Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2016)