+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Silent Reflux

Hi all,

My 8 week old baby has just been diagnosed with silent reflux and his GP told me to give him gaviscon to help relieve it, which it has but has now made him quite constipated.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used a thickened formula or the karicare thickener for silent reflux and if you have received good results?

Also, he is currently on Nan optipro gold HA but after reading terrible reviews on this I'm wondering what formulas are recommended by other mums.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Silent Reflux

We tried quite a few combos, thickeners etc and our silent reflux bub did best on bellamys formula and losec. If constipated we gave infants friend
    Ps: anything 'gold' is often constipating

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Silent Reflux

We found thickeners hurt Bub more when it came up.

Gaviscon isn't very strong. If it's not working, look at zoton or losec.

Comfort formulas worked best for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were told to give an over the counter pill, dissolved in water. The gp told me how much to give compared to bub's size. I can't remember which tablet it was, but it was a God send.

Eta - might have been losec.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used Nexium with DS & Losec with DD, try & get a prescription medication, some doctors are so hard to get them to prescribe it but they have obviously never lived with a refluxy baby! It can take a week for meds to be affective so just bare that in mind when trying anything new. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't help on the formula front but my DD had silent reflux and we used losec suspension (prescription only) from about 8-10weeks old which sorted out the reflux.
    DD also had sever constipation from around 5-6 months and the Paediatrician put her on Actilax (available over the counter) 5ml per day for 2 months. This resolved her constipation. I'd talk to the gp about the constipation and best way to deal with that in an 8 week old. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I would keep going to different GPs or paeds, until you get one that will give meds.

Both of my kids were on Nexium - 20mg a day (10 in the morning and 10 at night) and weren't big babies, so dose is everything too.

My Paed recommended the higher dosage first as a bit of a test to see if it was silent reflux, where as many prescribe a low dose, but then parents try it, think it doesn't work, give up and end up back on a higher dose later.

Has Bub shown any signs of a cows milk protein intolerance? Green, frothy, mucousy poos? A thickener won't necessarily help with silent reflux as its not enough to stop the milk coming back up. Meds cut the acid out, so the milk still goes up, but doesn't burn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Novolac formula. You can get a reflux one. It was found in most chemists. It is thin until it hits the stomach and thickens. My DD had projectile reflux and all the drugs never worked. We tried this and her vomits became only a little poset of a few drops. And only when she had tummy time or we went over a bumpy footpath in the pram.

Also the paediatric speech path advised do not use avent bottles worst possible but even more so for reflux babies.

Advised pigeon, doctor browns (hard to find) and tommie tippee closer to nature. In that order.

We also had a weak sucking problem so pigeon and novolac worked well for DD.

Will pop up pics next post

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1481404949.556185.jpg

IMG_1481404963.485755.jpg

IMG_1481404975.858436.jpg

IMG_1481404987.593628.jpg

Those are the products. But good luck in finding doctor browns I never found them good thing cause when I did it was expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I would keep going to different GPs or paeds, until you get one that will give meds.

Both of my kids were on Nexium - 20mg a day (10 in the morning and 10 at night) and weren't big babies, so dose is everything too.

My Paed recommended the higher dosage first as a bit of a test to see if it was silent reflux, where as many prescribe a low dose, but then parents try it, think it doesn't work, give up and end up back on a higher dose later.

Has Bub shown any signs of a cows milk protein intolerance? Green, frothy, mucousy poos? A thickener won't necessarily help with silent reflux as its not enough to stop the milk coming back up. Meds cut the acid out, so the milk still goes up, but doesn't burn.
    Did you find any side effects from the nexium? Another GP gave me a script but said she'd stick to the gaviscon for a month then when I stop it if the reflux is still there then get the script filled.